Forward Jordan Greenway Traded to Buffalo for a 2023 2nd VGK and 2024 5th Round Pick

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Does the Greenway addition make the return of KO or Girgensons less likely next season?

Greenway's under contract for 2 more years.  Said upthread that IMHO his LT place in the lineup is where Okposo slots.  Have a feeling that Okposo is going to go back home to Minny to end his career and the further we get into this season the more that seems to be happening this coming off-season.

Expect Girgensons will be that rare NHLer who only plays for 1 team in his career and that he'll be back 2 more years or possibly even 3 more.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Greenway's under contract for 2 more years.  Said upthread that IMHO his LT place in the lineup is where Okposo slots.  Have a feeling that Okposo is going to go back home to Minny to end his career and the further we get into this season the more that seems to be happening this coming off-season.

Expect Girgensons will be that rare NHLer who only plays for 1 team in his career and that he'll be back 2 more years or possibly even 3 more.

At least that many, if he’s gonna finish up here 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

I said it and the team still has the same problem on the blueline as it did when I said it.  But I think Greenway is going to be a good pickup anyway.

Once Dahlin gets back... all that is needed is moving Joker...  One more D making Joker the 7th.   I could live with that... now a goalie and tough forward with skill.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I think Girgs plays a great line 4 game, he should stay.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Once Dahlin gets back... all that is needed is moving Joker...  One more D making Joker the 7th.   I could live with that... now a goalie and tough forward with skill.

He’s our #4, no? 

From the Athletic:

What the Sabres need is defensive might and plenty of it. That’s Greenway’s bread and butter and that’s continued this season even as his offensive game completely falls apart. Greenway was third fiddle on the GREEF line, Minnesota’s vaunted shutdown trio that terrorized opponents defensively over the past several seasons. Over the last two seasons, the Wild have allowed 0.12 fewer expected goals against per 60 with Greenway on the ice and just two expected goals against.

Greenway is one of the league’s best forecheckers and this year leads all forwards with 6.9 recovered dump-ins per 60 according to data tracked by Corey Sznajder.

Greenway is a solid middle-six player and one who should start producing more than he has this season. In the past, he’s been closer to a 35-point player and that’s not an unfair expectation for him in Buffalo’s high-octane system. That, plus his strong defensive game and forechecking ability is a nice addition for Buffalo.

Prior to this year he showed a lot of NHL promise as a huge wing who skated quite well for a big man, had secondary skill and played hard.

While I didn’t think another forward was Buffalo’s biggest need as one of the league’s best offenses, getting a forward with size and snarl is something they lack, both on their big club and in their farm system. Greenway has term and a reasonable cap hit. This is a gamble by the Sabres that Greenway will at least somewhat find his prior form and become a good complimentary player in their lineup.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

At least that many, if he’s gonna finish up here 

Don't know.  He's 29 now and has played a hard game his entire career.  Could see him hanging them up in his early 30's.

Of course, this is the healthiest he's ever been, so who knows.  But could easily see him hanging them up 3 years from now.  We shall see.

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Does the Greenway addition make the return of KO or Girgensons less likely next season?

I’m pretty sure KO will be moving into Sabres management next year and Greenway will take over pretty much everything he does on the ice right now.

(For the record, I’m kinda expected Ryan Miller to join the Sabres in an executive capacity in the off-season as well. Good additions, IMO, competitors and smart hockey minds.)

2 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Surprised Oloffson didn’t get moved for a defenseman. 

With this move done, I fully expect Olofsson to go as soon as the draft.

Tuch, Skinner, Quinn, Mitts, Greenway, Peterka should be the wingers on our top 3 lines.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Tuch, Skinner, Quinn, Mitts, Greenway, Peterka should be the wingers on our top 3 lines.

Penciling greenway into a top 9 roll seems pretty darn hasty 

We’re pencilling him in as one of our 9 best forwards?

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

My guess is Greenway will be a 3/4 line Winger who PKs and adds legitimate grit to our lineup while putting up 35 points per year.

Yeah, could see a fair amount of interchangability between the lines depending upon the opponent.  Expect he's typically a 4th liner.  But the thought of him forechecking for & with Krebs and Peterka is enticing.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

JJP-Cozens-Quinn

Mittelstadt-Krebs-Oloffson

Girgensons-Jost-Okposo

Who are they going to sit?  JJP?  Promote Mittelstadt and Greenway to line 3?

edit: whoops. Think you meant this year. Oh well, leaving this up

- - - 

Why not a little camp competition? Throw in Savoie and co? 

it’s kinda amusing we’ve gone from “iron sharpens iron” to “clear the runway!” in how we are penciling in linemates 

I think JG has a good shot to give us a little help this season, and he’s in the mix to provide some value for us next season and going forward, as well. Buy I’m not pencilling him in to a role, full stop, NM t-9

Stillman has term, too. Guaranteed Sabres mainstay, next season? 

Many things uncertain. Future murky. Ask again later.

Edited by Thorny

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yeah, it seems that Olofsson's time here is growing short.  IMHO he seemed to be worse than normal the past 2 games with a lot of pucks skipping over his stick.  Wondering if he was expecting to get called into Adams or Granato's office and that was weighing on him.  (Yeah, he hasn't scored in 12 games now, but he could at least control an uncontested puck for most of that stretch.)

Just now, triumph_communes said:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

JJP-Cozens-Quinn

Mittelstadt-Krebs-Oloffson

Girgensons-Jost-Okposo

Who are they going to sit?  JJP?  Promote Mittelstadt and Greenway to line 3?

Until Tuch is back, the guess is that JJ Peterka sits a couple of games and then they see how the team is doning.  If things aren't clicking still then either either Hinostroza or Olofsson get their chance to sit in JJ's stead.

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Why not a little camp competition? Throw in Savoie and co? 

it’s kinda amusing we’ve gone from “iron sharpens iron” to “clear the runway!” in how we are penciling in linemates 

I think JG has a good shot to give us a little help this season, and he’s in the mix to provide some value for us next season and going forward, as well. Buy I’m not pencilling him in to a role, full stop, NM t-9

Stillman has term, too. Guaranteed Sabres mainstay, next season? 

Many things uncertain. Future murky. Ask again later.

My guess is that Hinostroza is gone next year as is Okposo.  Expect they bring in a Hinostroza type to add some extra competition.  Expect Savoie will get his 9 game look, but that for LT cap management, that they're planning on sending him back.  Could see Rousek getting a legit shot but expect Kulich is pencilled in the following year like Savoie is.  So, they'll have about 15 guys with legit shots at making the top 13 and probably 3 or so more that will be in the mix.

Expect they bring in another 4/5 D-man and let the 8 guys they currently have, the new guy, and Johnson duke it out for the 8 roster spots.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see them bring in another G to share the net with UPL next year as it sure seems they don't trust Comrie.  And with Levi being available as the emergency guy, they will finally not only have an entire roster of NHLers, but they will have guys that won't be out of place in the NHL down in Ra-cha-cha too at pretty much every position.  Might have to go back even longer than the drought to get to a point they could say that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.