NHL Trade Deadline 2023

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Panic?   Give us a break.  After 12 years we finally have a shot at the playoffs and you are ok to sit on your hands and wait another year?  Trades were available out there to upgrade the roster and still not affect the long term cap.  You believe the cr@p they are feeding you that’s great.  

We have 14 forwards on this roster and 11 of them play the exact same game.  Until Stillman, we had 7 defenseman on the roster (with Dahlin hurt) and nothing in Rochester.  Name a playoff team carrying 7 defenseman?  We have 3 goalies on the roster and none are a true NHL #1.   Glad we didn’t waste any money on trades!   

Schenn is an $850k cap hit and he cost a 3rd round draft pick.  He is rugged, solid, and has 2 Cups.  Tell me how that hurts this team?   Did you enjoy watching Joker get worked over and struggle to play extra minutes while Dahlin is out.   Did you see him the last two games against big teams?  How about that PK starring Lubyshkin,  They cannot stop anything.   The Sabres are above signing rentals I guess, they would not want to hurt the locker room or something like that   

This is all about not spending Pegula money.   That’s right, next year will be better.   Sure.  Great players will flock here.

Oh Portillo.   He is apparently too “intelligent” to sign with the Sabres, a team without a clear #1.  Let’s see if Johnson and Levi sign soon.   We can celebrate that, even though it’s commonplace for other teams to sign their picks. 

Don’t confuse fans being fed up with losing with panic.  The Sabres front office has shown incredible patience, shall I confuse that patience as a refusal to compete?   They appear. paralyzed, but they call it sticking to a plan.  

So we will wait and play out the string, and hope that Dahlin and Tuch get back soon, and pray for goaltending, and watch them “be competitive in Marchnot ”.  Our new major milestone -  still in it in March!!!!  Be happy fan base, we are “in it in March”.   That’s an accomplishment we can all rally around. 

So we will wait until the draft, and free agency, like good soldiers.  We won’t panic or question a thing.  We will wait and watch Adams finish this roster, complete with 23 players that actually deserve to be in the NHL.   Because next year will be better.

Next year, or maybe the year after … 

Sounds like one of my posts..... So tired of the inaction and waiting to wait. No, this team does need more grit....... What damn hockey team are they watching??? I will just put my stick in the way and hope it works! we have plenty of that! All the prospects are the same mold. Smallish scorers that cannot beat a forecheck and are easily thrown off the puck. How many years of no playoffs??? That model does not work.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Panic?   Give us a break.  After 12 years we finally have a shot at the playoffs and you are ok to sit on your hands and wait another year?  Trades were available out there to upgrade the roster and still not affect the long term cap.  You believe the cr@p they are feeding you that’s great.  

We have 14 forwards on this roster and 11 of them play the exact same game.  Until Stillman, we had 7 defenseman on the roster (with Dahlin hurt) and nothing in Rochester.  Name a playoff team carrying 7 defenseman?  We have 3 goalies on the roster and none are a true NHL #1.   Glad we didn’t waste any money on trades!   

Schenn is an $850k cap hit and he cost a 3rd round draft pick.  He is rugged, solid, and has 2 Cups.  Tell me how that hurts this team?   Did you enjoy watching Joker get worked over and struggle to play extra minutes while Dahlin is out.   Did you see him the last two games against big teams?  How about that PK starring Lubyshkin,  They cannot stop anything.   The Sabres are above signing rentals I guess, they would not want to hurt the locker room or something like that   

This is all about not spending Pegula money.   That’s right, next year will be better.   Sure.  Great players will flock here.

Oh Portillo.   He is apparently too “intelligent” to sign with the Sabres, a team without a clear #1.  Let’s see if Johnson and Levi sign soon.   We can celebrate that, even though it’s commonplace for other teams to sign their picks. 

Don’t confuse fans being fed up with losing with panic.  The Sabres front office has shown incredible patience, shall I confuse that patience as a refusal to compete?   They appear. paralyzed, but they call it sticking to a plan.  

So we will wait and play out the string, and hope that Dahlin and Tuch get back soon, and pray for goaltending, and watch them “be competitive in March”.  Our new major milestone -  still in it in March!!!!  Be happy fan base, we are “in it in March”.   That’s an accomplishment we can all rally around. 

So we will wait until the draft, and free agency, like good soldiers.  We won’t panic or question a thing.  We will wait and watch Adams finish this roster, complete with 23 players that actually deserve to be in the NHL.   Because next year will be better.

nailed it the league GIF by hero0fwar

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Arizona did it to themselves because Marner, Rantanen, Barzal, Aho, and Connor were there.  

Although no one was considering Aho anywhere near the top 15. He was there for anyone until 35. Heck, the Sabres could've taken him at 21 (traded for Lehner) or 31 (traded for ROR).

36 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

Sounds like one of my posts..... So tired of the inaction and waiting to wait. No, this team does need more grit....... What damn hockey team are they watching??? I will just put my stick in the way and hope it works! we have plenty of that! All the prospects are the same mold. Smallish scorers that cannot beat a forecheck and are easily thrown off the puck. How many years of no playoffs??? That model does not work.

Run and gun = one and done 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Panic?   Give us a break.  After 12 years we finally have a shot at the playoffs and you are ok to sit on your hands and wait another year?  Trades were available out there to upgrade the roster and still not affect the long term cap.  You believe the cr@p they are feeding you, that’s great.  

Schenn is an $850k cap hit and he cost a 3rd round draft pick.  He is rugged, solid, and has 2 Cups.  Tell me how that hurts this team?   Did you enjoy watching Joker get worked over and struggle to play extra minutes while Dahlin is out.   Did you see him the last two games against big teams?  How about that PK starring Lubyshkin?  They cannot stop anything.   The Sabres are above signing rentals I guess, they would not want to hurt the locker room or something like that.  

Don’t confuse fans being fed up with losing with panic.  The Sabres front office has shown incredible patience, shall I confuse that patience as a refusal to compete?   They appear paralyzed, but they call that sticking to a plan.  

So we will wait and play out the string, and hope that Dahlin and Tuch get back soon, and pray for goaltending, and watch them “be competitive in March”.  Our new major milestone -  still in it in March!!!!  Be happy fan base, we are “in it in March”.   That’s an accomplishment we can all rally around. 

I can gaurantee you Buffalo was not in Schenn’s go to list. I’d have loved him but he was never saying yes to Buffalo.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, rickshaw said:

I can gaurantee you Buffalo was not in Schenn’s go to list. I’d have loved him but he was never saying yes to Buffalo.

Vancouver's got an offer for Bloom (a 3rd) whom they like for a defender. They love Schenn and likely did ask: "Do you want to go to Toronto or Buffalo for this season's end?" The choice is clear.

• Like (+1) 1

Detroit is “right there” and are selling. We are a point ahead and aren’t selling. We may be close but I still don’t see is getting in this year no matter what. Upsetting the chemistry may have more damage than good. Making trade’s doesn’t guarantee squat.

Ranting and raving is only bad for your blood pressure. It is what it is. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, rickshaw said:

Detroit is “right there” and are selling. We are a point ahead and aren’t selling. We may be close but I still don’t see is getting in this year no matter what. Upsetting the chemistry may have more damage than good. Making trade’s doesn’t guarantee squat.

I'm tired of hearing about chemistry on a team that sucks at home and visibly quits on a regular basis.

2 minutes ago, Contempt said:

A player making 750k who has been waived at least four times doesn't get asked.

Schenn was asked. He wanted to be back in BC to finish his career. He wasn’t going to the States again especially with his wife due a baby any day now. Canucks weren’t gonna move him anywhere else out of respect. 

22 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Idk if fire sale is the right term. I think they moved guys who weren't part of the plan. 

Agree.  They added vets prior to the season, now they are clearing people out that don't fit their plan.  They are still $8M under the cap, not $17M like us but they have cap room and they stockpiled four #1's  in the next 2 drafts. 

Detroit and Ottawa and competing with us all the way.   The Eastern Conference is a bear.  

10 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Cant really argue that in this case.   Twelve years of mismanagement and turmoil continue to make it hard to build a program even today.  That cannot be ignored.  

2 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Just now, Contempt said:

I'm tired of hearing about chemistry on a team that sucks at home and visibly quits on a regular basis.

I error on the side of Contemts thoughts here, maybe not as harshly.

This "upsetting the chemistry" train of thought is rather baffling however. If you think about it objectively for a moment, not wanting to divest in the current roster make up, a known make up that is falling short of putting the team in position to advance, while having one of the teams star players attempt to appeal to a fan bases loyalty and spend money to show up to games, an overwhelming number of which they once again fail to perform in, is really quite stunning. Truly it is. Especially given what this fan base has endured well over a decade now.

The objective of a seadon is to make the playoffs, if it's for any other reason, say for example, a review of what you have to work with, or an assessment on need or to gage roster development, ok, that is understandable. But the goal should be a short turn around to that end. This fan base has endured now the longest period of time with no playoffs, where anything may happen. Make it to the dance, see what happens, isn't that what is preached sports industry wide?

So I can understand, completely understand, Sabres faithful being irate. "Upsetting the chemistry" should never be set above the foundational reason you play a seadon, which is, to garner a chance to play in the dance for a cup.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I error on the side of Contemts thoughts here, maybe not as harshly.

This "upsetting the chemistry" train of thought is rather baffling however. If you think about it objectively for a moment, not wanting to divest in the current roster make up, a known make up that is falling short of putting the team in position to advance, while having one of the teams star players attempt to appeal to a fan bases loyalty and spend money to show up to games, an overwhelming number of which they once again fail to perform in, is really quite stunning. Truly it is. Especially given what this fan base has endured well over a decade now.

The objective of a seadon is to make the playoffs, if it's for any other reason, say for example, a review of what you have to work with, or an assessment on need or to gage roster development, ok, that is understandable. But the goal should be a short turn around to that end. This fan base has endured now the longest period of time with no playoffs, where anything may happen. Make it to the dance, see what happens, isn't that what is preached sports industry wide?

So I can understand, completely understand, Sabres faithful being irate. "Upsetting the chemistry" should never be set above the foundational reason you play a seadon, which is, to garner a chance to play in the dance for a cup.

I don’t disagree with you. I think a lot of this goes to “do you want to be in Buffalo” and it’s difficult to know at this time of year. I think they should try and make some proactive moves if they’re there but I do think these young guys are still learning and maybe losing a buddy will have negative affects.

I think the off season is the time to move guys. Anyway whatever. It sucks to not get in but it’s probably not happening either way this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.