Sabres trade for Defenseman Riley Stillman in exchange for Josh Bloom

Brawndo

Just now, shrader said:

I skipped over a lot of the middle of this thread so I have no idea if it was mentioned.  I noticed in pictures attached to the story that he wears his father's number.  That's pretty cool to see.  I mean, there can't possibly be any other way that he wound up with number 61.

Well, if you had bothered to read the middle section of this thread 6+1=7÷3.14×(×£16-41.3)÷100=only jersey size to fit him was 61.

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

As stated by at least one other poster above, Granato has a track record of developing young players (Dahlin, Thompson, Cozens, etc.) and also for getting the most out of veteran players coming off of a down season or seasons (Skinner, Okposo).  Maybe he sees somthing in Stillman that he can develop.  That's what he says.  If so, the Sabres have acquired a younger bottom pair defenseman with NHL experience who brings a physical element to the team that is sorely lacking.  To do that, they had to give up a bottom-six forward prospect whose chance of making the Sabres team as a regular contributor was pretty low.  It seems like a reasonable risk to take.  I don't follow the Canucks at all, but I know that they are not a very good team right now, so perhaps they were either a) improperly utilizing Stillman; or b) doing a poor job developing him.

Good take. Granato confirmed as much in his statements earlier today, at least the one I read. If this guy is itching to "play an aggressive game" and Granato can whisper it out of him, then this trade actually accomplishes something a lot of people have been asking for. A stay-at-home D man with an edge who hits. If that's what we're getting, totally worth it.

Edited by ...
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

PuckPedia is showing his cap hit as $1.35 MM for this year and next.  He is barely over an entry level cost to the Sabres.

Oh I read an earlier thing on twitter that had him as a 4m cap hit but I guess they mixed up his 3 year total with his annual. Shows you how little people know about this guy, myself included. So that's better, but it's still a nothing gained deal imo. 

1 hour ago, ... said:

Good take. Granato confirmed as much in his statements earlier today, at least the one I read. If this guy is itching to "play an aggressive game" and Granato can whisper it out of him, then this trade actually accomplishes something a lot of people have been asking for. A stay-at-home D man with an edge who hits. If that's what we're getting, totally worth it.

Just stay out of the box, our PK sucks.

So many of the great minds on here totally miss what Bloom bring to the prospect pool.   I have zero issue trading a forward for a decent defenseman but this is not the forward and not the defenseman.  We have at least 5 or 6 carbon copy European players signed and/or drafted.....all small, fast, shifty, and play identical games. Bloom was one of the few players with size that could skate, play a defensive sound/gritty game and kill penalties....he even dropped the gloves when required. He was a unicorn when compared to the other prospects. Doesn't mean he would make it or move anywhere past the AHL but why not keep a prospect that offers different skills than the others?

Every single one of the prospects I described can play top 6 but there is no room for them all. Can they play third line checking or 4th line energy? Doubtful. I think this was a huge blunder that probably wont bite us in the ass but a blunder all the same.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

So we trade an up and coming forward prospect with size in Bloom - who was considered a bit of a steal - and get

-14 Riley Stillman. 

The Leafs trade a 2023 3rd (which we could have done) which will take longer to develop and get

+9 Luke Schenn. 

Great Job. Really great job. 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9523057acaea58f12bbc

46 minutes ago, Johnny Utah said:

So many of the great minds on here totally miss what Bloom bring to the prospect pool.   I have zero issue trading a forward for a decent defenseman but this is not the forward and not the defenseman.  We have at least 5 or 6 carbon copy European players signed and/or drafted.....all small, fast, shifty, and play identical games. Bloom was one of the few players with size that could skate, play a defensive sound/gritty game and kill penalties....he even dropped the gloves when required. He was a unicorn when compared to the other prospects. Doesn't mean he would make it or move anywhere past the AHL but why not keep a prospect that offers different skills than the others?

Every single one of the prospects I described can play top 6 but there is no room for them all. Can they play third line checking or 4th line energy? Doubtful. I think this was a huge blunder that probably wont bite us in the ass but a blunder all the same.

I dont agree.

Matt Savoie will be better, but he could easily play Tyson JOST’s role. Jiri Kulich has a game that can slot anywhere in the lineup. They’re dogs. Östlund is diligent and smart as they come. Prokhor Poltapov is Vaclav Varada. Tyson Kozak is a longshot, but if he makes it it will be as a textbook 4C. Olivier Nadeau is a beast in traffic.

And that is ignoring the fact that guys like Krebs, Quinn and Cozens are competitive diligent guys who will be available to PK and matchup as they mature.

Pretty much everything Bloom offers is still there.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Does anybody else see Stillman as basically an insurance policy?

As in, if we aren’t getting our targeted Dman, we’ve at least added some depth and attitude at a cheap price?

Don Granato was on WGR's morning show and said that he was familiar with Stillman from the juniors. He pointed out that he was more effective with Florida than with Vancouver because it was a better fit with his first team. As you point out he is a depth player. 

55 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

So we trade an up and coming forward prospect with size in Bloom - who was considered a bit of a steal - and get

-14 Riley Stillman. 

The Leafs trade a 2023 3rd (which we could have done) which will take longer to develop and get

+9 Luke Schenn. 

Great Job. Really great job. 

Yeah, A 3rd rounder in 2023, in a draft were we have 3 seconds anyway, for Luke Schenn.  Seems like we could have pulled that off.  

A 34 year old rugged, veteran, stay-at-home defenseman who has won two Stanley Cups.  Plus, he's a bargain as a pending UFA, Schenn's cap hit is $850,000.   Adams must really not want rentals but this was a gimme.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

As in, if we aren’t getting our targeted Dman, we’ve at least added some depth and attitude at a cheap price?

I don’t think Stillman is insurance.  I think he’s the fall back position.  think KA evaluated what it would cost to get our preferred defenseman and chose plan B instead.  

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t think Stillman is insurance.  I think he’s the fall back position.  think KA evaluated what it would cost to get our preferred defenseman and chose plan B instead.  

So exactly what i think, except you think he's not still trying, he's done?

56 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yeah, A 3rd rounder in 2023, in a draft were we have 3 seconds anyway, for Luke Schenn.  Seems like we could have pulled that off.  

A 34 year old rugged, veteran, stay-at-home defenseman who has won two Stanley Cups.  Plus, he's a bargain as a pending UFA, Schenn's cap hit is $850,000.   Adams must really not want rentals but this was a gimme.  

I think I read that we don't have a 3rd rounder next year, so might not have been an option

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I dont agree.

Matt Savoie will be better, but he could easily play Tyson JOST’s role. Jiri Kulich has a game that can slot anywhere in the lineup. They’re dogs. Östlund is diligent and smart as they come. Prokhor Poltapov is Vaclav Varada. Tyson Kozak is a longshot, but if he makes it it will be as a textbook 4C. Olivier Nadeau is a beast in traffic.

And that is ignoring the fact that guys like Krebs, Quinn and Cozens are competitive diligent guys who will be available to PK and matchup as they mature.

Pretty much everything Bloom offers is still there.

Savoie and Kulich are top 6 forwards.  Simple.  Rosen and Östlund have similar potential but I'd say are a step behind.  Kisakov is another with similar potential but he is another step behind.

Right there you have 5 similar players that we be battling out for top 6 spots. Lets not forget Thompson, Tuch, Skinner, Krebs, Quinn and Peterka who are already there.

You're missing my point altogether. I have zero issue trading the majority of these forwards for defensive help. My question is why take the one that is 6'2 , 185 and is super quick that can play on the bottom two lines when you have arguably 5 players all 5'10 and 170 pounds vying for maybe one or two spots.

If you dont see the difference in their games and the positives of keeping different style in the pipeline then you really dont get hockey. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Johnny Utah said:

Savoie and Kulich are top 6 forwards.  Simple.  Rosen and Östlund have similar potential but I'd say are a step behind.  Kisakov is another with similar potential but he is another step behind.

Right there you have 5 similar players that we be battling out for top 6 spots. Lets not forget Thompson, Tuch, Skinner, Krebs, Quinn and Peterka who are already there.

You're missing my point altogether. I have zero issue trading the majority of these forwards for defensive help. My question is why take the one that is 6'2 , 185 and is super quick that can play on the bottom two lines when you have arguably 5 players all 5'10 and 170 pounds vying for maybe one or two spots.

If you dont see the difference in their games and the positives of keeping different style in the pipeline then you really dont get hockey. 

No, I get your point.

I disagree with your perception of the prospect pool. To my eyes, the only players who match your perception are Rosen and Kisakov.

Just because Savoie, Kulich Östlund, Krebs, Peterka and Cozens are skilled enough to play in the top six does not mean they are too soft, too defensively irresponsible, or too offensively focused to play in the bottom six. They are all responsible brave, all-round players

And I disagree that Bloom is the only prospect we have capable of grinding: Poltapov is far more abrasive and Nadeau stronger on his skates and better in traffic.

To answer your question of 'why Bloom?' I think the answer is simple: he's elite at nothing and the least likely of any of them to become an NHL player.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

I see that he is is just another option for 6/7 and now 8.  There are none in Rochester. 

Apparently DG thinks he can skate with this team and that he fits.  

Edited by Pimlach

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

No, I get your point.

I disagree with your perception of the prospect pool. To my eyes, the only players who match your perception are Rosen and Kisakov.

Just because Savoie, Kulich Östlund, Krebs, Peterka and Cozens are skilled enough to play in the top six does not mean they are too soft, too defensively irresponsible, or too offensively focused to play in the bottom six. They are all responsible brave, all-round players

And I disagree that Bloom is the only prospect we have capable of grinding: Poltapov is far more abrasive and Nadeau stronger on his skates and better in traffic.

To answer your question of 'why Bloom?' I think the answer is simple: he's elite at nothing and the least likely of any of them to become an NHL player.

I tend to agree with you. Rosen and Kisakov are really the only true finesse types we have. The rest of that forward class has some salt to their games. 

17 hours ago, Johnny Utah said:

I agree with some of what you're saying, but checking and energy guys (if pure energy guys even exist now) can be had in the off-season every year for cheap as UFA. During the season a non-1st (or probably non-2nd) draft pick gets it done. It's cool to grow your own players, but Bloom isn't an irreplaceable guy. There will be teams looking for those skill guys as well, and it's entirely possible down the road if there's a log jam to turn a top-6 guy into a bottom-6 plus a D or something.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Johnny Utah said:

This is obnoxious and not how we communicate here.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.