only 3 years away!!

sweetlou

Would you sign McDavid to a $15-17million AAV contract if he becomes an UFA after 25-26 season?

I would say the cap will be well over $90 million by then.

You already have Tage and Dylan signed for $14.1 combined, so you are saving ton.  Dahlin and Power will be around $10mil and $8mil, respectively. Tuch also around $8mil. 

Also Skinner comes off the books in 27' unless they buy him out or trade him before then.

Nah. The Sabres will be winning quite enough without him crushing 16% of the cap by himself. I'm guessing he's rumored to Toronto because he was born within 35,000 km of there. My sleeper is he skates with Crosby (on a discount deal) for a couple season and the Penguins just keep the superstar center thing going.

Most likely he goes somewhere sunny, warm, and without state income taxes.

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

Would you sign McDavid to a $15-17million AAV contract if he becomes an UFA after 25-26 season?

You already have Tage and Dylan signed for $14.1 combined, so you are saving ton.  Dahlin and Power will be around $10mil and $8mil, respectively. Tuch also around $8mil. 

Also Skinner comes off the books in 27' unless they buy him out or trade him before then.

Based on what? All the Regional Sports Networks have basically gone kaput now, which was a huge source of revenue. What is it going to be replaced with? Think it is far too early to assume thae cap will go up that much now after this news broke.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

You get an opportunity to land the best player in the league for nothing but his actual value?  Why not go for that?

He actually wanted to be a Sabre at one point.

50 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Nah. The Sabres will be winning quite enough without him crushing 16% of the cap by himself. I'm guessing he's rumored to Toronto because he was born within 35,000 km of there. My sleeper is he skates with Crosby (on a discount deal) for a couple season and the Penguins just keep the superstar center thing going.

Why are you assuming the weather and income taxes are important to him? Maybe he likes the cold and snow? Maybe he's not greedy. Maybe he'd pay the income tax penalty to play in his dream town... Buffalo.

Also hasn't the income tax angle been sort of shot down?

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

For maybe the greatest player of this  Generation he hasn't won ***** .

He plays for Edmonton.  The fact that he can carry that sorry excuse for an organization into the playoffs perennially rather than continue to stockpile 1st overall picks is a major accomplishment in and of itself.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Who wasn't born within 35,000 km of Toronto?  And you think Crosby will still be playing in 3 years?

At or around this time the Sabres will be locking up their Cup-defending core of Levi, Kulich, and Östlund, while  paying Power and Dahlin. And everyone wants to pay a 30 year-old (Skinner’s age now) McDavid who’s never won squat in the playoffs for his age 30-38 seasons as the highest paid player in the league. He’s going to still be a ppg guy but his legs will begin to slow down in year 2 of the deal and he’ll be past his prime.

4 hours ago, sweetlou said:

At his next contract he will be 30 years old?  One one hand this current team will/should be competing for a cup then. 

On the other hand, I don't want to sign anyone to a long term contract that STARTS when they are 30. I'd probably pass.

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

At his next contract he will be 30 years old?  One one hand this current team will/should be competing for a cup then. 

On the other hand, I don't want to sign anyone to a long term contract that STARTS when they are 30. I'd probably pass.

He'll turn 30 in January of that 1st contract year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.