Update: Cernak gets a Two Game Suspension. for His elbow on Kyle Okposo

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

So nothing for being a repeat offender?   He did this to Dahlin 2 years ago and got the same thing.  

BS.  

Players that keep their noses clean for 18 months get their earlier transgressions taken off their records.  So, apparently, he is not considered a repeat offender.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Players that keep their noses clean for 18 months get their earlier transgressions taken off their records.  So, apparently, he is not considered a repeat offender.

So, if a player gets suspended in early October, potentially, the very next season in April, he could do it again and not be a repeat offender.

Pure NHL genius.

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, inkman said:

Would you feel this way if it was Tage or Dahlin and they were out for the season or career threatening? 

I'd feel exactly the same. It's hockey, it happens. I don't WANT it to happen but it does. The hearing and suspension is earned and fair imo. It would be the same if we did it to one of them. 

20 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well I'm glad the league is looking at it. Dirty play but really just a hockey thing that happens a lot. He might get a game or two out of it. 

I'm not for all this new CBA harsher penalties stuff. I just want the Sabres to become a team that deals with that sort of thing on the ice and maybe dishes out a little of the same back at them. 

I want this too, but I also agree with having a league process that produces fines/suspensions in cases of dirty and dangerous head shots like this one. 

am I crazy, or is TB the dirtiest team in the league over the past half-decade?  I consistently see cheap-shots and dangerous hits whenever they go up against buffalo.

yeah, I have no video proof at my disposal, but I haven't come to this observation without cause.  hedman slew-foot reino a few years ago, the cernak elbows, kucherov's cross-checks...it just seems to be their aura lately.  but I guess to win titles, you do whatever it takes.  :|

40 minutes ago, will said:

am I crazy, or is TB the dirtiest team in the league over the past half-decade?  I consistently see cheap-shots and dangerous hits whenever they go up against buffalo.

yeah, I have no video proof at my disposal, but I haven't come to this observation without cause.  hedman slew-foot reino a few years ago, the cernak elbows, kucherov's cross-checks...it just seems to be their aura lately.  but I guess to win titles, you do whatever it takes.  :|

No, you are not crazy.  They give blind-side cheap shots, target the head on "checks", etc. -- and then run crying to the refs for protection if anyone challenges them.  Several teams' pages on HFBoards have complained about their play being well over the line.

And welcome back!

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'd feel exactly the same. It's hockey, it happens. I don't WANT it to happen but it does. The hearing and suspension is earned and fair imo. It would be the same if we did it to one of them. 

Except it’s not hockey. It’s cheap shot bullcrap born out of frustration and has no place in the game. None. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's an old song but it's just not reality. It might be what you WANT to see, but hockey's never been that way and I doubt it ever will be that way. 

Sorry, but the “old song” is your insistence that deliberate cheap shot elbows, deliberate cross checks into the boards, etc., are just hockey. I suppose the Todd Bertuzzi hit on Steve Moore or the Marty McSorley hit on Donald Brashear were “just hockey” as well. 

Hockey is a fast paced game played by enormously skilled players who make the game worth watching. It’s not your neanderthal version of it. 

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Sorry, but the “old song” is your insistence that deliberate cheap shot elbows, deliberate cross checks into the boards, etc., are just hockey. I suppose the Todd Bertuzzi hit on Steve Moore or the Marty McSorley hit on Donald Brashear were “just hockey” as well. 

Hockey is a fast paced game played by enormously skilled players who make the game worth watching. It’s not your neanderthal version of it. 

This is just such a pile of BS.

Where's my "neanderthal" version of anything?

(as an aside newer evidence thinks the neanderthals were actually a peaceful species, possibly vegetarian and the pronounced features were simply cold adaptations. It was cro magnon that killed them off violently, or more likely they simply interbred and became part of our species. Look it up. Fascinating stuff)

You're honestly trying to draw a comparison between Cernak's elbow on Kyle and the Bertuzzi punch?????? Come on man don't be a dumbass. You can do better than just trying to force an extreme view onto me (which isn't my view at all) to make some lame case for nice fancy hockey. 

Stuff happens. It's the way the game is. he got a 2 game suspension for it. That's the way it goes. It's all part of the game as it is now. When you are in charge of the league you can go change all the rules to suit you. Me? I think that was a fair and reasonable ruling. 

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is just such a pile of BS.

Where's my "neanderthal" version of anything?

(as an aside newer evidence thinks the neanderthals were actually a peaceful species, possibly vegetarian and the pronounced features were simply cold adaptations. It was cro magnon that killed them off violently, or more likely they simply interbred and became part of our species. Look it up. Fascinating stuff)

You're honestly trying to draw a comparison between Cernak's elbow on Kyle and the Bertuzzi punch?????? Come on man don't be a dumbass. You can do better than just trying to force an extreme view onto me (which isn't my view at all) to make some lame case for nice fancy hockey. 

Stuff happens. It's the way the game is. he got a 2 game suspension for it. That's the way it goes. It's all part of the game as it is now. When you are in charge of the league you can go change all the rules to suit you. Me? I think that was a fair and reasonable ruling. 

The point is that Cernak’s cheap shots have ZERO place in the game. Period.

As for your meaningless lecture on neanderthals? A pile of BS indeed. The term and definition isn’t strictly confined to the species itself. It’s also defined as uncivilized, unintelligent, and uncouth. Much like Cernak’s brand of hockey. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

The point is that Cernak’s cheap shots have ZERO place in the game. Period.

As for your meaningless lecture on neanderthals? A pile of BS indeed. The term and definition isn’t strictly confined to the species itself. It’s also defined as uncivilized, unintelligent, and uncouth. Much like Cernak’s brand of hockey. 

Yes, MIS-defined as it was assumed the larger frames and jaw structures etc were signs of a lesser intelligent species, and more recent science has disproven this idea. 

Did anyone suggest Cernak's elbow was a good thing? No, don't be silly.   But these things do happen and so you deal with it. 

Check out Oshie's hit from today:

https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/n267045

Is there a "place in the game" for that? No. But again, it's going to happen and when it does, the Rangers had an appropriate response. 

Fingers crossed Oshie gets a suspension before tomorrow's game. (probably not)

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yes, MIS-defined as it was assumed the larger frames and jaw structures etc were signs of a lesser intelligent species, and more recent science has disproven this idea. 

Did anyone suggest Cernak's elbow was a good thing? No, don't be silly.   But these things do happen and so you deal with it. 

Check out Oshie's hit from today:

https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/n267045

Is there a "place in the game" for that? No. But again, it's going to happen and when it does, the Rangers had an appropriate response. 

Fingers crossed Oshie gets a suspension before tomorrow's game. (probably not)

Take it up with the people at Merriam-Webster, Oxford, Cambridge, or any other reputable dictionary publisher. 

22 hours ago, will said:

The dirtiest tampa player.

51 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Is there any evidence that “the appropriate response” deters further cheap shots?

Anecdotally I’ve never seen any.

One of the bigger myths of hockey culture, from what I’ve seen.

The “appropriate response” is nothing more than a fan’s projection. 

54 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The “appropriate response” is nothing more than a fan’s projection. 

Players buy into that stuff, or at least they used to. Its painful to hear Rivet and Peters talk about it.

Intimidation was certainly a huge part of the game 50 years ago - won the Flyers two cups by being a pack of lunatics.

But then it morphed into the staged “my nuclear deterrent vs yours” in the 90s. And now, it’s pretty much an afterthought.

It isn’t the dirty play of today’s Lightning that is cowing the opposition, it’s their ability to win puck battles and their skill in finishing after they win them.

Hundreds of games every year now, how often do you see a Donnybrook? What good team is the bully of the NHL playground?

Toughness is still a huge thing, but it’s not toughness as defined by your ability, or even your willingness to fight. It’s toughness in terms of your ability to play hard.

The idea that the threat of a fight deterred cheap shots is laughable. Players have been taking and absorbing cheap shots for as long as I’ve watched NHL hockey. Less so now they they did when fighting was an every-game thing.

”Answering the bell” by taking a run at someone when you feel embarrassed by your own ineptitude and “let the players police themselves” aren’t really part of the NHL game today. They were always about revenge, plain and simple.

“The appropriate response” is something guys like Peters use to excuse their own stupid behaviour and more of a concept in the minds of middle-age fans than something that actually is a current NHL tactic.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.