Update: Cernak gets a Two Game Suspension. for His elbow on Kyle Okposo

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The penalty on Dahlin was pretty dirty as well. I thought cross check from behind deserved at least a 5 minute minor. 

There were a few of those last night, and some were not even close to the puck. I never really thought of Tampa as dirty, but they were playing that last night. Ohhhhhh we play them again in about a week in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The penalty on Dahlin was pretty dirty as well. I thought cross check from behind deserved at least a 5 minute minor. 

It should have been a 5 + game if the NHL called penalties by the book.

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Whatever the outcome it won’t be enough.  Should have slew footed and tore is ACL.  ***** THIS GUY! 

I'll save you the trouble and tell you the future: "Erik Cernak has been fined $5,000, the maximum allowed under the CBA, for his hit on Kyle Okposo in last night's game."

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterExpat said:

I'll save you the trouble and tell you the future: "Erik Cernak has been fined $5,000, the maximum allowed under the CBA, for his hit on Kyle Okposo in last night's game."

Probably.

Krebs will take care of it next game.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

There were a few of those last night, and some were not even close to the puck. I never really thought of Tampa as dirty, but they were playing that last night. Ohhhhhh we play them again in about a week in Buffalo.

Yeah, most people don't, but why is this? Every time we play them, they are doing ***** like this,

Dirtiest, most entitled group of players in the league, IMO.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It was.  And it is a shame that Paul isn't getting a hearing today too.

That's the sort of hit that give guys bad backs for their careers.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Probably.

Way off topic, but Krebs is really coming into his own lately.

Kid competes hard.

Donnie’s rewarding him too. Over the past month he’s moved into the 2nd tier of forwards in ice time, along with Kyle, Mitts and Cozens in the 15-16 minute range, just behind the Tage line.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I don’t fu king care what the punishment will be. Fine, suspension.  These guys make millions and would love a week vacation midseason.  Until they start fining dudes 6 figures or give them the season off, it’ll never be enough.  

32 minutes ago, Weave said:

Times like these I wish we had a Gudas on our roster.

Yeah it just feels like buttholes like Cernak never get their justice.  Year after year it’s the same guys doing the same things over and over.  The punishment, on ice or off, is never enough.  Not once have I seen a punishment where I thought.  He’ll never do that again. 

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

They’ve been dirty for a while now. 

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

I don’t fu king care what the punishment will be. Fine, suspension.  These guys make millions and would love a week vacation midseason.  Until they start fining dudes 6 figures or give them the season off, it’ll never be enough.  

Agreed and it drives me nuts. It's something that needs to be addressed in the CBA

Think about it, the maximum fine is $5,000. I understand cap hits accrue daily over the 185 day season, but if we consider cap hit on a per-game basis, even a league minimum player makes more than $5,000 a game. In Cernak's case, his daily cap hit is ~$16K, but per game his cap hit is $36K. Even with taxes he still made more than the fine in the game.

Fines should be relative to cap hit. Fines should start at the "income" from the game and scale up from there. I'm also a firm believer that if you committed a play with intent to injure, and you injured the opposing player, you should be suspended until the game after the opposing player returns to the ice. The fact we have a league where a player can serve a two game suspension for injuring a player and then return to play while the injured player takes months to recover is absurd.

I'm also a believer that organizations should be forfeiting draft picks for repeat offenders. Player gets two hearings in the same season? Goodbye second round pick. Player has his third consecutive season with a suspension? Goodbye first round pick.

That is how you have accountability and give DOPS real firepower. Of course, it'll never happen.

3 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Agreed and it drives me nuts. It's something that needs to be addressed in the CBA

Think about it, the maximum fine is $5,000. I understand cap hits accrue daily over the 185 day season, but if we consider cap hit on a per-game basis, even a league minimum player makes more than $5,000 a game. In Cernak's case, his daily cap hit is ~$16K, but per game his cap hit is $36K. Even with taxes he still made more than the fine in the game.

Fines should be relative to cap hit. Fines should start at the "income" from the game and scale up from there. I'm also a firm believer that if you committed a play with intent to injure, and you injured the opposing player, you should be suspended until the game after the opposing player returns to the ice. The fact we have a league where a player can serve a two game suspension for injuring a player and then return to play while the injured player takes months to recover is absurd.

I'm also a believer that organizations should be forfeiting draft picks for repeat offenders. Player gets two hearings in the same season? Goodbye second round pick. Player has his third consecutive season with a suspension? Goodbye first round pick.

That is how you have accountability and give DOPS real firepower. Of course, it'll never happen.

Hmmm…do players lose pay from suspension?  I’ll summon our CBA expert, @Taro T .  It would make it a little better but it’s still not enough to change player behavior unless they are cheap old misers like me. 

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Hmmm…do players lose pay from suspension?  I’ll summon our CBA expert, @Taro T .  It would make it a little better but it’s still not enough to change player behavior unless they are cheap old misers like me. 

They forfeit pay while suspended, yes.

I should add I was talking about situations where a fine is handed out and not a suspension. The minimum fine should be the amount the player "made" during the game. It's silly it isn't and it's even worse that the amount doesn't scale with salary.

47 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Probably.

And I'll be at that next game courtesy of the storm that postponed the Dec 29 matchup!

25 minutes ago, inkman said:

Well, I believe the NHLPA is who negotiates what the NHL is allowed to fine as part of the CBA.  So it's really the player's own union that is not protecting the players. The enforcement of the amounts is left to the NHL sure, but the maximums, etc. are not.

I could be wrong.. but I don't think so.  I've often thought the NHLPA should police its own.

The fine is trivial, but any infraction worthy of a call should be an automatic suspension. They play 82 games. Make the minimum suspension 5 games (the equivalent of a 1-game suspension in the NFL). Then, double it up to 40 games. (Anything that requires a full-season suspension --- McSorley on Brashear, Bertuzzi on Moore is a one-off and can be handled as such.) Most importantly, keep it cumulative to a career, or reduce it 1 level at the end of every other season (i.e., from 10 games back down to 5).

The players would not risk it. Marchand (multiple career calls) would be on eggshells the latter half of a season rather than trying to hurt someone for the playoffs, because he wouldn't dare miss the playoffs himself.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.