Explanation of this Particular Member of Team Storm Cloud

CallawaySabres

I'm just glad I'm not a Bills fan. They're reasonably good now but losing in both sports would be tough to take. idk how you guys managed to handle the 4 superbowl losses. I think it's probably even harder to be a Bills fan than Sabres. They were so close once upon a time. The expectations for the Sabres are much lower at the moment. 

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm just glad I'm not a Bills fan. They're reasonably good now but losing in both sports would be tough to take. idk how you guys managed to handle the 4 superbowl losses. I think it's probably even harder to be a Bills fan than Sabres. They were so close once upon a time. The expectations for the Sabres are much lower at the moment. 

I was certainly disappointed with the losses in the SB. The Bills should have won against the Giants but Levy was outcoached by Parcells and Belichick in that game. Anyone who was familiar with that Kelly and Thurman era who followed the team had the privilege of following one of the most successful and entertaining teams in that era. Some people look at that period of time and come away feeling tormented. Not I. That was the golden era of Bills football. Although disappointed that we didn't win a SB, I consider that the golden era of Buffalo football. 

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

The Sabres were very close in '99-'01 and probably should've been in the finals in '98 too.  Except the refs REALLY horked that series against the Caps.  Detroit would've killed them but they might've won 1 or 2 games as Hasek stood on his head.

Can't convince this kid they'd've not been champs in  '01 had they managed to get past Pittsburgh.  The Sabres were Joisey's kryptonite that year and they'd won in Denver with Biron between the pipes.  Would've been a tough final, but Sabres should've been the better team.

Though Sabres expectations are lower now, they've had some really good teams through the years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Everyone does sports fandom in their own way. I’ve never understood the criticism for the fan who looks at the team as a glass half empty. More often than not, It is. And well as they say opinions are like asshol€s, everyones got one. But who are we to judge ? If everyones opinion was the same as mine it would be a pretty fecking boring place. Thank gawd thats not the case. This is a colorful place with all the different takes and in my mind the larger the variety of opinion the greater chance to learn. Anyhoo thats where I stand on this. You don’t have to explain yourself to anyone. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I was certainly disappointed with the losses in the SB. The Bills should have won against the Giants but Levy was outcoached by Parcells and Belichick in that game. Anyone who was familiar with that Kelly and Thurman era who followed the team had the privilege of following one of the most successful and entertaining teams in that era. Some people look at that period of time and come away feeling tormented. Not I. That was the golden era of Bills football. Although disappointed that we didn't win a SB, I consider that the golden era of Buffalo football. 

They certainly had talented teams in that era, but I'd say the fundamental flaw was those teams were not tough enough and not good enough on the lines. Bruce Smith was an incredible talent, but he needed more support for that line to be truly dominant and win it all. The Dallas O line was the big difference in those ones. 

I’ve been a Buffalo Bills, Bisons hockey, Bisons baseball and overall Buffalo kid since I could walk and talk. I was addicted to sports in the mid 60’s.  I watched HNIC from our home in Buffalo’s West Side on my grandparents fancy TV with outdoor antenna that spun around on the roof, it could pick up 3 Canadian channels back then. The Bills are my longest sports love going back to the championship AFL teams.  I was all over the Sabres and Braves from their start in 1970.  The Sabres and The Aud mean a lot to me.  Although I left the area I have always found a way to watch all the Sabres and NHL hockey that I can.  

Internet forums can be both informative and intense.  Various generations of people bantering about.  Sometimes people get to comfortable behind keyboards and the good manners that they would normally project get attenuated.   Sometimes I have to walk away.  

Overall it’s fun to post here.  For me, it’s more fun than the Bills site, TSW, because there are way less people so I feel like more of a contributor.  Less people means less to filter, less groupthink, and less drama.  Someday the Sabres will contend for the Cup once again.  When they do this place will grow and change.  Right now this place is mostly visited by diehard Sabres lifers.  I hope it stays relatively small so we can enjoy the great teams that are coming.  

• Like (+1) 4

14 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I want to start of by saying that there may not be a bigger fan of the Bills and Sabres than this guy. I have been to all the AFC Championship games back in the 90s and starteed going to Bills games with my Dad when I was about 8 (now 52). When I moved back to Buffalo about 17 years ago, I have not missed a home game. My Dad also had seasons to the Sabes back in the early 80s (orange section) and I was in love immediately.

Anyway, I love both teams equally because nothing gives me more joy than seeing this city rejoice. It's been a rough go of it the last 10 years with the Sabes and my kids have never seen a fun Sabres team (until kind of now). My daughter (17) never loses faith and loves them regardless while my son (15) just can't understand why they can't make the playoffs. 

Fast forward to this season and all 3 of us are just having a blast watching these guys. I still have season tickets and man, do we have bad luck with the games we attend (for the most part). To question the fandom of the doomsday folks is a little outrageous and I would imagine other fans get sick of the people have nothing but negative things to say (a lot of times...me). If you could see the reactions of the 3 of us after a win though...pretty good. I usually don't post much when things are going great because we are just enjoying the moment.

Anyway, I am about as positive a person as you can imagine (outside of sports) and am in a dang good mood pretty much ALL the time. I may use this board for venting, and probably post a bunch of crap that I really don't mean. I am guessing that other folks may post things that are very heat of the moment feelings as well. May the universe bless the folks who get through games like last night and are not affected but last night really jilted me i the first period. 

All I want is the playoffs before my daughter heads to college (end of 2024 season) and really hope that we all get what we ALL want. I played hockey through senior year in high school but don't really analyze this team like most here. I can identify players that play the game the way I like it but when I read about posters suggesting who should replace players like Clague, I respect and love it. IN CONCLUSION - I do apologize for the bipolar posts during a game but I just can't help it 😔

Go Sabes!

You do a wonderful job of pointing out the generational aspect of being a fan. 

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I’ve been a Buffalo Bills, Bisons hockey, Bisons baseball and overall Buffalo kid since I could walk and talk. I was addicted to sports in the mid 60’s.  I watched HNIC from our home in Buffalo’s West Side on my grandparents fancy TV with outdoor antenna that spun around on the roof, it could pick up 3 Canadian channels back then. The Bills are my longest sports love going back to the championship AFL teams.  I was all over the Sabres and Braves from their start in 1970.  The Sabres and The Aud mean a lot to me.  Although I left the area I have always found a way to watch all the Sabres and NHL hockey that I can.  

Internet forums can be both informative and intense.  Various generations of people bantering about.  Sometimes people get to comfortable behind keyboards and the good manners that they would normally project get attenuated.   Sometimes I have to walk away.  

Overall it’s fun to post here.  For me, it’s more fun than the Bills site, TSW, because there are way less people so I feel like more of a contributor.  Less people means less to filter, less groupthink, and less drama.  Someday the Sabres will contend for the Cup once again.  When they do this place will grow and change.  Right now this place is mostly visited by diehard Sabres lifers.  I hope it stays relatively small so we can enjoy the great teams that are coming.  

I'm also a West Sider. Grew up on Vermont St. and lived in a world of Italians. If you didn't have a vowel after your last name, you were considered to be an outsider. Later moved to the Tacomo/Hertel area in North Buffalo. Your sports following history is the same one I was a part of. Sometimes up and sometimes down. That's a reality that all fans of home teams are subjected to. 

15 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I want to start of by saying that there may not be a bigger fan of the Bills and Sabres than this guy. I have been to all the AFC Championship games back in the 90s and starteed going to Bills games with my Dad when I was about 8 (now 52). When I moved back to Buffalo about 17 years ago, I have not missed a home game. My Dad also had seasons to the Sabes back in the early 80s (orange section) and I was in love immediately.

Anyway, I love both teams equally because nothing gives me more joy than seeing this city rejoice. It's been a rough go of it the last 10 years with the Sabes and my kids have never seen a fun Sabres team (until kind of now). My daughter (17) never loses faith and loves them regardless while my son (15) just can't understand why they can't make the playoffs. 

Fast forward to this season and all 3 of us are just having a blast watching these guys. I still have season tickets and man, do we have bad luck with the games we attend (for the most part). To question the fandom of the doomsday folks is a little outrageous and I would imagine other fans get sick of the people have nothing but negative things to say (a lot of times...me). If you could see the reactions of the 3 of us after a win though...pretty good. I usually don't post much when things are going great because we are just enjoying the moment.

Anyway, I am about as positive a person as you can imagine (outside of sports) and am in a dang good mood pretty much ALL the time. I may use this board for venting, and probably post a bunch of crap that I really don't mean. I am guessing that other folks may post things that are very heat of the moment feelings as well. May the universe bless the folks who get through games like last night and are not affected but last night really jilted me i the first period. 

All I want is the playoffs before my daughter heads to college (end of 2024 season) and really hope that we all get what we ALL want. I played hockey through senior year in high school but don't really analyze this team like most here. I can identify players that play the game the way I like it but when I read about posters suggesting who should replace players like Clague, I respect and love it. IN CONCLUSION - I do apologize for the bipolar posts during a game but I just can't help it 😔

Go Sabes!

You aren't team stormcloud. Nor are those who have issues with the current roster construction (I think we can all agree we defense and goaltending). 

15 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Go Sabes!

Son is a smart dude. Honestly, in a league where half the teams make it, I struggle to understand it, too 

😆

46 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm also a West Sider. Grew up on Vermont St. and lived in a world of Italians. If you didn't have a vowel after your last name, you were considered to be an outsider. Later moved to the Tacomo/Hertel area in North Buffalo. Your sports following history is the same one I was a part of. Sometimes up and sometimes down. That's a reality that all fans of home teams are subjected to. 

I lived on West Ave and I know Vermont Street.  It ends (or starts) at Busti and runs on the back side of the Connecticut Armory.  I was down in the old 'hood last summer.  They have a few nice places at the Rhode Island 5 Points area.  Went to a nice bakery for coffee, breakfast, and bread (of all things to get at a bakery).  Saw the old Butler Mitchell (formerly a Boys Club) on Massachusetts.  We used to walk up and down Grant Street to shop.   That was long ago and there has been a lot of  change.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's not about making the playoffs... Er. Uhm... Not about JUST making the playoffs.

Playoffs? Playoffs?!

Somewhere along the way, I don’t know when, it did in fact meld into this for me. It’s about playoffs. It’s the symbol of, not our ineptitude, but that ineptitude’s historic nature. The fact it so defies science and reason proves its a symbol. The perspective of the atrocious results of the last decade were enough to illustrate to me that that “losing while actually in the playoffs” was/is plenty Green. 

I’ll need a new personality once we aren’t fighting for that goal, ya, probably. 

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I lived on West Ave and I know Vermont Street.  It ends (or starts) at Busti and runs on the back side of the Connecticut Armory.  I was down in the old 'hood last summer.  They have a few nice places at the Rhode Island 5 Points area.  Went to a nice bakery for coffee, breakfast, and bread (of all things to get at a bakery).  Saw the old Butler Mitchell (formerly a Boys Club) on Massachusetts.  We used to walk up and down Grant Street to shop.   That was long ago and there has been a lot of  change.  

The Butler Mitchell was where I and my friends spent a lot of time. My mother did her grocery shopping at Super Duper grocery store on Grant St. I have been back for a number of times, mostly for funerals, and as you said there has been a lot of changes. The world evolves and moves on. 

• Like (+1) 1

Because some of us do not see what other's see does not make us stormclouds... i have not changed my opinion of the Sabres in the last few years. They are not built for any playoffs run. Youth, size, non aggressive, take your pick. Are they better? Yes, but they are still seriously lacking. We all just saw as close as they are going to get to a playoff spot this year. I am not saying open your eyes, i am only saying what my eyes see. If your eyes see different, that happens. If you cannot handle reading what we say, then do not then take a hike. It is our opinion. Just like yours. As for the smart one, that may be my wife..... she wonders why we are all headfirst to 2 teams (Sabres and Bills) that will not win a championship before we die...LOL Again, i accept all opinions, but do not criticize them.  So, that being said, will ready my hockey room for however long as i can watch tonight.... Let's go Buffalo!

Like some here I date back to the AFL days when Kemp was  quarterback rather than a politician. The Sabres were a dream in the eyes of the Knox brothers and the NBA had a too short stay. My passion in advanced years wanes a bit but still enjoy our teams enough feel the emotion during games. Chances are probably as great I'll never see a Stanley Cup here as I will get to see one. I've enjoyed, for the most part, everyone here but I've had my share of outbursts that I'd like to take back. Heck, at my age it's good to still be able to do that from time to time. So my friends have at it!!

Edited by Radar
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Radar said:

Like some here I date back to the AFL days when Kemp was  quarterback rather than a politician. The Sabres were a dream in the eyes of the Knox brothers and the NBA had a too short stay. My passion in advanced years wanes a bit but still enjoy our teams enough feel the emotion during games. Chances are probably as great I'll never see a Stanley Cup here as I will get to see one. I've enjoyed, for the most part, everyone here but I've had my share of outbursts that I'd like to take back. Heck, at my age it's good to still be able to do that from time to time. So my friends have at it!!

At least you have not broken the following: Flat screen TV, (Twice) first was honestly accidental!!! A brand new Razor flip phone... I have learned to enjoy the games and when i get frustrated, shut it off and walk away. 

Edited by Stormcloudmember66
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.