Is HC Don Granato the right man for the job?

GoPuckYourself

I like Donny meatballs, he's very likeable, I want him to be the guy who helps hoist us that Cup but there are a ton of flaws in his coaching style. I like offense as much as the next guy but it doesn't matter if we're playing the worst team in the league or the best you can always count on 4-5 either breakaways or 2 on 1's per game. I understand that there are many young players but I'd like to also think they're improving not only offensively but defensively as well. Why do so many Sabres skate around aimlessly 2-3 times a game and not take a guy? If Don Granato is preaching take a man when you're in your own zone why aren't they doing it? Is it just the fact that we-re so young because we still have a bunch of older type players who've been around for awhile also. What do you guys think, is he the right man for the job? 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Yes he’s the right meatball for the pasta. This team is a work in progress. Youngest in the league. When its approaching the level of contending teams with the right number of vets/rookies or 2nd3rd year guys with nhl caliber goaltending and spending near the cap then Donnie can be judged on whether he’s the right coach.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I like Donny meatballs, he's very likeable, I want him to be the guy who helps hoist us that Cup but there are a ton of flaws in his coaching style. I like offense as much as the next guy but it doesn't matter if we're playing the worst team in the league or the best you can always count on 4-5 either breakaways or 2 on 1's per game. I understand that there are many young players but I'd like to also think they're improving not only offensively but defensively as well. Why do so many Sabres skate around aimlessly 2-3 times a game and not take a guy? If Don Granato is preaching take a man when you're in your own zone why aren't they doing it? Is it just the fact that we-re so young because we still have a bunch of older type players who've been around for awhile also. What do you guys think, is he the right man for the job? 

On the night he becomes the longest tenured Sabres coach since Lindy Ruff you're wondering if he's the right man for the job? What do you suggest?

Donny has the team as one of the top scoring teams in the league, on pace for 92 points, currently at 58, in a season they were projected i think at 78 points or somewhere in that range. All while rotating 3 goalies, two AHLers and a 41 year old who can only play once a week because his body doesn't allow him to play more. Cmon.

It's hard to fully judge him when he is coaching with one hand tied behind his back.

He is saddled with sub-par goaltending and a 3rd pairing D pairing he can't trust to even play 10 minutes a night.  His team is incredibly young and inexperienced, especially on defense where the 22-year-old star has the most NHL games experience in the group.  

Until he has a complete roster to coach it's hard to fully evaluate him.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

9 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Was this topic created because of a season-long issue with Donnie Meats, or because of one game that was played this evening?

Do some fans think the coach and his staff had a bad plan in the 1st 20-30 minutes of tonight's game? It looked like they had zero answers. Or is it about talent deficiencies and inconsistencies on the 3rd D pairing and bottom-12 forwards? Along with a general DEARTH of the physical tenacity, the damned "compete level" and sacrifice that often distinguishes playoff intensity?

The 2023 Buffalo Sabres would have to get back to their season-best scoring pace to overcome a current paucity of defensive connectivity and moreover, a dearth of physical tenacity. They MUST mature in that way going into next year. Methinks this is best accomplished by acquiring some defensive and bottom-6 examples to push the internal development. 

And more than anything else, the Buffalo Sabres could better pretend to be playoff caliber if they had a legitimate effing #1 goalie. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Was this topic created because of a season-long issue with Donnie Meats, or because of one game that was played this evening?

It was created to see what people thought of our HC up until this point and if they thought he is the right man for the job. It just happened to be created after a disappointing loss to a rival team but has no connection.

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Best answer so far to a trick question. For the job they want him to do? Absolutely.

Why is it a trick question?

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Absolutely, based on the improvement with some of the younger players on the team. I do believe there needs to be some changes amongst the assistant coaches as the PK is horrible and the PP has become stagnant. 

He gets another two seasons to show what he can do IMO

Two more seasons at least if we at least make the playoffs… If not, replace him.

As a coach with development chops, Granato is doing a fine job… As a coach with a talented roster who can win against top teams consistently, he’s not there yet… Too often he sends his team out flat and unprepared to compete… Too quick to excuse losing…

KA needs to do his job as well… He did lock up a few of our core with long term contracts… He needs to bring in a couple more hungry vets with Stanley Cup success and grit like he did with Tuch… 

20 minutes ago, Believer said:

Two more seasons at least if we at least make the playoffs… If not, replace him.

As a coach with development chops, Granato is doing a fine job… As a coach with a talented roster who can win against top teams consistently, he’s not there yet… Too often he sends his team out flat and unprepared to compete… Too quick to excuse losing…

KA needs to do his job as well… He did lock up a few of our core with long term contracts… He needs to bring in a couple more hungry vets with Stanley Cup success and grit like he did with Tuch… 

I want the eyeroll emoji back. 

• Eyeroll 1

The roster is still broken so I'll reserve judgement for now. The team scores and is fun to watch most nights. It's concerning that they suck at home and to me that's indicative of a problem. Idk what the problem is but there is something different in the environment when they are away from home. Granato and Adams need to identify what that is and fix it. I strongly suspect that means moving some people out. Whether that's one or two or however many. There is something going on.

While I posted up thread that the team is still incomplete and therefore we still need to reserve judgment, there are some troubling signs.  The PP has gone into the tank and the coaching staff doesn't seem to have an answer.  The PK, while better of late, is still bad and has been bad all season.  Again the coaching staff doesn't have an answer.  

Also, I hoped for general improvement as the season progressed and the team got healthy.  That hasn't happened.  The system continues to leave our vulnerable goaltending out to dry and the coaches have made no adjustments.  DG has made some recent line changes, but that hasn't made a difference.  

Last season the team got better as the season progressed.  In fact, in the last 3rd of last season, I'd argue that they were playing better overall hockey than they are right now.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.