Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

Bills really missed an opportunity this year again. Maybe Reid and Kelce retire. But now there's Harbaugh with Herbert, Stroud and a chance for the Chiefs to retool a bit. Burrow will be back....etc etc 

McDermott, you have this season... Make it count. 

1 hour ago, TheAud said:

The Bills traded away the pick that KC chose Mahomes with. And 9 other teams decided NOT to take Mahomes ahead of that pick. And KC knew it was such a great pick they didn't even play him his rookie year except for one throwaway game at the end. 

I wish Bills fans didn't self punish themselves over that trade. We have Josh Allen at QB. If you put Mahomes on the Bills with everything else the same, I am not sure they even do as well as they do with Allen. 

That is true but not a because of Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen. The Kansas City Chiefs have better ownership in the Hunt Family than the Buffalo Bills with the Pegula family that is the huge difference. I think Josh Allen would have won multiple Super Bowls under the Hunt Family ownership in Kansas City Chiefs. Buffalo Bills fans are right now a little slow to pick up that Terry Pegula isn’t great as owner of the Buffalo Bills either. I don’t think the Buffalo Bills or Buffalo Sabres are ever winning with Terry Pegula as owner he is the same bumbling cheap owner of the Bills as he is with the Sabres. Josh Allen is masking a lot of Terry Pegula ownership flaws. But just because Josh Allen can mask flaws he can’t get it to a Super Bowl championship team here. I have no doubt Josh Allen wins a Super Bowl championship just not in Buffalo unfortunately. At some point Josh Allen is going to want out. Terry Pegula refuses to spend the money wisely like the Hunt Family because he just not that smart of a person. Von Miller was a terrible waste of money in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• dislike 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

That is true but not a because of Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen. The Kansas City Chiefs have better ownership in the Hunt Family than the Buffalo Bills with the Pegula family that is the huge difference. I think Josh Allen would have won multiple Super Bowls under the Hunt Family ownership in Kansas City Chiefs. Buffalo Bills fans are right now a little slow to pick up that Terry Pegula isn’t great as owner of the Buffalo Bills either. I don’t think the Buffalo Bills or Buffalo Sabres are ever winning with Terry Pegula as owner he is the same bumbling cheap owner of the Bills as he is with the Sabres. Josh Allen is masking a lot of Terry Pegula ownership flaws. But just because Josh Allen can mask flaws he can’t get it to a Super Bowl championship team here. I have no doubt Josh Allen wins a Super Bowl championship just not in Buffalo unfortunately. At some point Josh Allen is going to want out. Terry Pegula refuses to spend the money wisely like the Hunt Family because he just not that smart of a person. Von Miller was a terrible waste of money in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Question - how many NFL teams would you trade Beane/McDermott for (GM/ Coach )   - Kansas City then......

30 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Meaningless observation: Josh and the Bills scored 3 points per drive against the Chiefs, 50% better than the next best team, the 49ers at 2 points per drive.

Imo, of all the teams that the Chiefs faced in the playoffs, the Bills looked the most capable of beating them (and, sure as eggs is eggs, I damn sure thought the Bills were gonna do it!).

(Yeah, yeah - the 49ers took the Chiefs to OT. Even so.)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Imo, of all the teams that the Chiefs faced in the playoffs, the Bills looked the most capable of beating them (and, sure as eggs is eggs, I damn sure thought the Bills were gonna do it!).

(Yeah, yeah - the 49ers took the Chiefs to OT. Even so.)

Very true but we are still far away in the clutch. Our coaching staff can’t compare. And now we are in deep trouble with the cap and the roster is taking a step back next year. The gap between KC and everyone else is even wider. Going to be a boring year watching them probably 3-peating next year. The Bills best chance was the .13 second game. We may never get that close again. 

2 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Very true but we are still far away in the clutch. Our coaching staff can’t compare. And now we are in deep trouble with the cap and the roster is taking a step back next year. The gap between KC and everyone else is even wider.

I'll agree with you on the coaching front -- clear advantage to the Chiefs there. I haven't taken a look at the cap issues the team will confront -- but that must be true, I'm sure.

That said, I have a sneaking suspicion that, on balance, the Bills' roster will be as good or even slightly better next year. They will take steps back in some places, but should be able to get better in others.

One thing that they likely won't repeat is the overall health that the offence enjoyed in 2023. That was remarkable. I guess the injuries on the defence sort of balanced things out in that regard.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Very true but we are still far away in the clutch. Our coaching staff can’t compare. And now we are in deep trouble with the cap and the roster is taking a step back next year. The gap between KC and everyone else is even wider. Going to be a boring year watching them probably 3-peating next year. The Bills best chance was the .13 second game. We may never get that close again. 

Don't count out the Bengals. They had a winning record (4-3) with a backup QB. I can't imagine Buffalo pulling that off.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The only thing that I would counter with is that the Chiefs weren't the best team, in general, this year.  They struggled, too.  In the playoffs, they managed to stay close enough that they could claw back in games, and their QB/Coach truly have the mindset of "we're never out of it."  It's an amazing characteristic, reinforced by success.  However, it's not 1/0 situation.  It gives their chance of winning a boost compared to other teams of similar or even high capability, but the luck factor will always play some role.  They play the same four games over-and-over (groundhogs day, but without the memory), and they would certainly win the Super Bowl most times, but far from every time.  For example, that punt off the back 49ers player's leg doesn't happen every time.  Jones doesn't interrupt Allen's throw every time, and sometimes the Bills hold on after that.  Brady didn't win every year, and Reid/Mahomes lost the Bengals two years ago.  They have a big edge, but nothing is perfect.  I would give the Chiefs the best odds next year, but I'll always take the field versus any single team, even theirs.  Now, as to our chances of being the ones to stop them?  Let's see how the offseason unfolds.

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is the Chiefs' win in any way good for the Bills? Gamblers phallacy, I'm sure, but three in a row? Really?

For once I'll leave my brain fart. As Terry once said, hoo boy.

Only if other teams go mining the Chiefs staff for new coaches and coordinators, or players want big paydays.

As long as the Bills have Josh when Kelce retires they wil beat the Chiefs in the playoffs.  

Until then, I'd say no.  Not Burrow either.

Best idea is for the Bills to find Josh his Kelce as soon as possible.  If they do they will beat the Chiefs in the payoffs.  They almost had them this year.  The Bills where the closest to beating the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Best idea is for the Bills to find Josh his Kelce as soon as possible.

I see this take a lot. It makes me squint my eyes and think: "Find Josh his first-ballot-HOF, position-transforming tight end" (or other catcher of footballs). 

Okey dokey.

42 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I see this take a lot. It makes me squint my eyes and think: "Find Josh his first-ballot-HOF, position-transforming tight end" (or other catcher of footballs). 

Okey dokey.

Yeah. Kelce had back-to-back in 1000 yard seasons before Mahomes took over, and four straight 800+ yard seasons.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Okey dokey.

59 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Yeah. Kelce had back-to-back in 1000 yard seasons before Mahomes took over, and four straight 800+ yard seasons.

Tight end is, and always has been, the key. I just don’t understand how people don’t see that. It was for Brady, the 90s Bills, every team that beat the 90s Bills, KC now. Every good to great team has a great, consistent tight end. Knox is not it. Kinkaid shows promise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Tight end is, and always has been, the key. I just don’t understand how people don’t see that. It was for Brady, the 90s Bills, every team that beat the 90s Bills, KC now. Every good to great team has a great, consistent tight end. Knox is not it. Kinkaid shows promise.

Can you name the tight end for the first wave of patriot wins?

Should Damar have won comeback player of the year? I'm torn. I mean he had a freak accident that's never happened in the NFL before. But he also barely played. Flacco certainly isn't the first old QB to come off the couch, but he played well. 

I also don't think Dak should have received as many votes in the categories as he got.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Can you name the tight end for the first wave of patriot wins?

What constitutes the first wave? Fauria and Graham were the first couple that I remember who were featured in their offense. And then Ben Watson gave them some good years as well.

Edited by K-9

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

What constitutes the first wave? Fauria and Graham were the first couple that I remember who were featured in their offense. And then Ben Watson gave them some good years as well.

They had a 10 year gap between wins. And it was actually an honest question. I had no idea what the answer was. Those early teams, they didn’t win with their offense. 

But I do think there is some merit to Swamp’s thought. The game has changed more recently, all part of when they started putting the bubble wrap around Brady. 

• Like (+1) 1