Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

is it really that bad or are you just being dramatic to make the point? 

I saw a Steelers podcast today and these guys are in an airbnb in Buffalo and they went outside to show it was about 6 inches of snow on the ground and it just looked like normal winter Buffalo. They commented that their were still cars driving around like nobody cared and they said that as a hats off to Buffalo people who know how to handle snow. 

What you describe seems dramatically different but I've seen no evidence of that on any media at this point. If you are correct, and it's truly that bad then fine, but it just didn't look that way. 

13 was more than enough. 

That Steelers barstool guy was trolling heavy.  He’s clearly an ass and was not in the snow storm.

I am on the fringes of it and received about 2’ of snow on top of those 35-45mph winds.  For a good chunk of the day visibility was under 100’.  The camera would not have been able to show you the plays that were happening.

Roads were shut down and traffic diverted on main roadways because emergency vehicles couldn’t get through, which is how almost 50 stranded motorists died last year.

You didn’t really think Buffalo would shut down for 6” of snow, did you?  That’s a normal winter day.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Here.  The green is where the heaviest snow fell.   2-3” per hour in that green/blue area.  It stayed essentially in that location all day.  The red dot labeled Orchard Park is where the stadium is located.  The red dot labeled Buffalo is where that barstool ass was located.  Yeah, he probably saw 6” of snow.  Orchard Park was under blizzard conditions since last night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I saw a Steelers podcast today and these guys are in an airbnb in Buffalo and they went outside to show it was about 6 inches of snow on the ground and it just looked like normal winter Buffalo. They commented that their were still cars driving around like nobody cared and they said that as a hats off to Buffalo people who know how to handle snow. 

What you describe seems dramatically different but I've seen no evidence of that on any media at this point. If you are correct, and it's truly that bad then fine, but it just didn't look that way. 

13 was more than enough. 

Oh *****! You saw some random dudes somewhere in Buffalo and now you're an expert on the weather!? Man, that's impressive. If only there was a way to see the stadium, during game time or if you lived here or you know, any of that. 

There was a 4 hour long white outside my house this morning. If only you had the internet and could find it what's going on. 

44 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

13 was more than enough. 

Yeah, great day for football in Orchard Park today. A football game was never played in a blizzard and your Barstool boys are full of crap.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

13 was more than enough. 

52 minutes ago, Weave said:

Here.  The green is where the heaviest snow fell.   2-3” per hour in that green/blue area.  It stayed essentially in that location all day.  The red dot labeled Orchard Park is where the stadium is located.  The red dot labeled Buffalo is where that barstool ass was located.  Yeah, he probably saw 6” of snow.  Orchard Park was under blizzard conditions since last night.

PF, in the Buffalo area we have what is known as the "Snow Belt."  That map that Weave put up gives a pretty good approximation of where the Snow Belt lies.  It doesn't always extend out to Batavia but it usually does extend a smidge to the east of Erie County.  As you can see, Orchard Park is right smack dab inside the Snow Belt.  And while Orchard Park isn't right on Lake Erie, the Stadium is nearly as far to the west (aka near to Lake Erie) as you can be and still say you're in Orchard Park.  (There's a town to the west of it, Hamburg, but the stadium is almost in Hamburg.)

While Buffalo has the reputation for snow, it USUALLY can't hold a candle to the "South Towns" located in the heart of the Snow Belt.  And, so far this weekend the Snow Belt has gotten hit much harder than Buffalo proper.

So, as others have stated, yes, it really IS that bad.

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Just take the loss. Why are you disputing the weather with people living in Buffalo?

PF is waxing nostalgic for all those football games played in -40 temps and raging snowstorms. It’s funny how we romanticize our memories into myth. Fact is that since 1967 only six NFL games have been played in sub-zero temps. Six. 

And again, not one NFL game has ever been played in the conditions we saw in Orchard Park today. Not one. Ever. But yeah, lets argue why the game shouldn’t have been postponed. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

While we’d all prefer to see the great athletes on full display, I still respect that football is a game to be played in the elements. That said, playing in a blizzard, with 70k people going to and from the game, is unsafe and a recipe for disaster. It’s amazing that anyone can’t understand that. 

And what’s the only thing the league really cares with any of these games? People watching it. What makes for better tv than an atmosphere where you can’t see a thing. That’s rating gold right there. 

Man, that looks like crap. I got a dusting here in the southern tier. It was quite windy and wind chills of 1 degree or so. I skiied today, but there was still some thin coverage on the trails. 

I didn't make the drive to Potsdam as Watertown area seemed to get the brunt of it after it moved on from OP. 

1 minute ago, ... said:

I can't believe teh weather is more important than this right now:

Haven't looked into the calculus, but the 1% point change for the SB line after the Detroit game makes me scratch my head.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

That Steelers barstool guy was trolling heavy.  He’s clearly an ass and was not in the snow storm.

I am on the fringes of it and received about 2’ of snow on top of those 35-45mph winds.  For a good chunk of the day visibility was under 100’.  The camera would not have been able to show you the plays that were happening.

Roads were shut down and traffic diverted on main roadways because emergency vehicles couldn’t get through, which is how almost 50 stranded motorists died last year.

You didn’t really think Buffalo would shut down for 6” of snow, did you?  That’s a normal winter day.  

Well that's fair and if that's the case I stand corrected. Still haven't seen anything visual about it though. No, I absolutely didn't think 6 inches of snow would shut down Buffalo, hence my surprise at the cancellation. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh *****! You saw some random dudes somewhere in Buffalo and now you're an expert on the weather!? Man, that's impressive. If only there was a way to see the stadium, during game time or if you lived here or you know, any of that. 

There was a 4 hour long white outside my house this morning. If only you had the internet and could find it what's going on. 

Ya, that's snowy, but that's Buffalo. 

You're probably too young to remember this but I remember the game way back when Jocelyn Gouvrement had so much snow outside his house he couldn't get out the front door. To get to the game he tossed his equipment out of a second floor window and dove down into the snow. One of the other Sabres picked him up in his SUV Jeep or something and they drove to the game. I think the Sabres had like 14 guys or so and they played the damn game. Buffalo. 

I know that's indoors, and it was only about getting there and not playing in it, but I also do think times have changed and football used to be a more robust affair. 

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

PF, in the Buffalo area we have what is known as the "Snow Belt."  That map that Weave put up gives a pretty good approximation of where the Snow Belt lies.  It doesn't always extend out to Batavia but it usually does extend a smidge to the east of Erie County.  As you can see, Orchard Park is right smack dab inside the Snow Belt.  And while Orchard Park isn't right on Lake Erie, the Stadium is nearly as far to the west (aka near to Lake Erie) as you can be and still say you're in Orchard Park.  (There's a town to the west of it, Hamburg, but the stadium is almost in Hamburg.)

While Buffalo has the reputation for snow, it USUALLY can't hold a candle to the "South Towns" located in the heart of the Snow Belt.  And, so far this weekend the Snow Belt has gotten hit much harder than Buffalo proper.

So, as others have stated, yes, it really IS that bad.

Thanks. I do know about snow belt and lake effect and all that good stuff. I grew up in Hamilton and remember how Buffalo always got more snow. First Sabres game I ever went to live I remember being surprised by how high the piles were in and around the Aud compared to the Hamilton or Toronto areas. 

The London/Kitchener snow belt area actually has more white outs which are also really bad up north of Barrie. I've driven through some of that stuff as well. Not fun, but I survived. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Guess it's the wind and not the snow but you can enjoy this then:

Damn right it’s the wind. Can’t have a blizzard without it. And you’ll never see an NFL game played in one. Not ever. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Damn right it’s the wind. Can’t have a blizzard without it. And you’ll never see an NFL game played in one. Not ever. 

Well I hope they play tomorrow and I hope it still snows while they are doing it. 

I have to add, playing football in the snow is a blast. Blowing a guy up into a snow bank is something everyone should do at least once in their life. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well that's fair and if that's the case I stand corrected. Still haven't seen anything visual about it though. No, I absolutely didn't think 6 inches of snow would shut down Buffalo, hence my surprise at the cancellation. 

Since you still seem skeptical, here is the official storm totals for the area.  41” of snow officially in Hamburg.

IMG_3081.jpeg