Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

On 11/5/2023 at 8:52 PM, Scottysabres said:

The seasons over.

Decisions need to be made, we'll see if Pegula has the balls to make them.

Nope, not even close.

All they have to do is get to the playoffs. All teams this year seem to have significant flaws.

Get to the playoffs. Get hot and throw in some luck.  Get some good matchups. Don't get done in by the zebras. Parade!!!

There are a dozen different teams this year that could win if they can only get to the playoffs, and the Bills are certainly in that group.

Edited by irregularly irregular
spelling matters
  • Like (+1) 2

A couple thoughts and ideas that some here may know the answer to that I do not, mostly for next year.

-Von Miller supposedly COULD have been activated earlier in the year but he wasn't. We are not more than half way though the season and he still doesn't look like he is making an impact. Maybe that will come, or maybe the age/mileage PLUS recovering from a big time injury make him not worth the $17m anymore.  Can the Bills move on from him next year without a major cap hit penalty?

-Dawson Knox, same as above, can he be moved on from?  Hes not a bad player I don't think but not worth what he is getting paid, especially with Kincaid emerging. If he was making half what he was he would be a good TE2, but his money can probably be better spent elsewhere.

-Tre White.  Looking for more savings...if he misses next year, can he be put on some kind of cap-relief IR to save the cap space money?

This team has holes to fill and place to upgrade. If the above players aren't worth what they are getting paid, can anything be done about them/their cap in the offseason to free up more money to spend elsewhere?

Bills are currently 9th out of 16 teams in the AFC.  On the outside looking in. Eyes wide open for fans not wearing the prescription rose colored glasses. 

I'm a fan but this looks like a horse race where several other horses blow by your horse in the stretch and the jockey just jogs him to the finish line to race another day. (next season) Out of gas. Beane has a heck of an off-season coming up in January. 

I have One Bills Live on in the background and the callers are just unloading. 

• Like (+1) 1

This team has wayyyy too much talent to be a marginal playoff team.  If they don't get their act together before the end of the season... heads are going to roll in the coaching staff/management.  Rest of the season is going to be tough, they have a lot of good opponents on the schedule:  Philly, KC, Miami, Dallas, etc.  Going to be tough to turn it around with that schedule.  If they make the playoffs, they will definitely deserve it with that schedule.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1

It is kind of scary with all the comments from the GM and coaches that they don't know the problem with the offense.  Hurry up vs slow down?  It gives the appearance that they do not know what they are doing and don't have a plan.  Someone from SB Nation broke down the plays from the last game, and G Davis was open in most of his pass patterns.  From that detail and breakdown, why isn't Josh seeing this?  Does he have a progression of reads?  Are they nervous about interceptions?  It makes you wonder how the offensive game plays and plans are designed.  Where are the coaches if a sports writer can see this from film?  Is the staff at 1 Bills Drive playing possum?  Do they have a talent problem?  It doesn't appear to be if receivers are open and the quarterback can make every throw.  What about the run game and how to implement a plan that includes running the ball at different times and enough times for a running back to get in a rhythm?  How about using the short passing game as a running play?  Why can't you look at the tapes of when you were successful in the first half of games?  What did you do?  What sequence of plays?    What was the defense giving you?  Does the staff lack flexibility?  Did they decide at the beginning of the year this is our plan (to turn the offense into poop) and we are not modifying it no matter what!

It is not rocket science, but they are making it seem that way.

• Agree 1

Beane work

Spotrac cap figs for 2024 with savings.  The key is to the right right.  Cap hit minus lower dead cap = savings. What the final cap fig is to be determined. So Where are the possible savings for 2024 at present ? Some contracts could be redone, I get that. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2024/

Current targets with savings

T. White - 6 Mil

Taron Johnson - 7.6 Mil

Morse - 11.5 Mil

Poyer - 5.5 Mil

N.Hines - 5 Mil

Harty - 4 Mil 

other smaller savings near the bottom (lower salaries) 

Others like Knox and Von Miller come up in 2025. 

So the Bills could still sign some needed help in Vet FA, prior to the draft. Douglas trade was a 3rd rounder (received back a 5th) but they get a 3rd round comp for Edmunds. So they siill pick at least once in all 7 rounds with 2 picks in Round 5 and 4 picks in round 6... Which means lots of trading around on Day 2-3 of the draft for specific targets, little doubt. 

I fell out of love with the Bills a few years ago, right about the time they got Josh Allen.  No one single reason, I have gone over the reasons before but for now, yes I watch the NFL, and yes the Bills are my favorite team....but no longer are they #1 over the sabres and pretty much all other sports combined. If I watch a game, great, if I miss a game, oh well, and that switch just turned that way for me 2-3 years ago.

With that said, it makes a season like this so much easier to take. Again, I want them to win, but when they lose, I'm 'somewhat' upset after the game for a few minutes...then I forget about it till the next week.  Maybe they will miss the playoffs....or maybe they will get hot and turn it around and be a SB favorite by the time the playoffs start. Not thinking about it and listening to people talk about it and post about it everyday though makes.....well...being a 'casual' fan so much more fun.

On 11/6/2023 at 1:05 PM, mjd1001 said:

-Tre White.  Looking for more savings...if he misses next year, can he be put on some kind of cap-relief IR to save the cap space money?

As much as I hate to say it, I feel like the acquisition of Douglas spells the end for Tre as a Bill. Unless, of course, he agrees to some sort of team-friendly extension.

On 11/6/2023 at 2:17 PM, Ctaeth said:

This team has wayyyy too much talent to be a marginal playoff team.  If they don't get their act together before the end of the season... heads are going to roll in the coaching staff/management.  

They should. But they won't.

3 hours ago, MISabresFan said:

why isn't Josh seeing this?

I don't tune into WGR, don't visit The Stadium Wall, so I'm not sure how much Josh's role in this is being discussed. I think his play, his decision making is/are the biggest reason that the offence is struggling.

But I also think that his problems are a byproduct of not being put in the best position for him to succeed -- call it a loss of confidence. And that comes back to coaching. Those signs were spotted everywhere at the Tampa game: LET JOSH BE JOSH.

Did someone here say that there's some Ralph Krueger vibes to how 17 is being mishandled this season? Or was that out on the Twitter?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Texans just went into to Cincy and won. CJ Stroud is looking like Mahomes 2.0.  They are another team surpassing us. 

Surpassing us? Come on now. Remember when the Bills won in KC during the regular season each of the last two years? Week ten is not the litmus test. 

I’m looking at it this way—the Bills got a favor with Cinci losing (along with Jacksonville & Baltimore). 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Surpassing us? Come on now. Remember when the Bills won in KC during the regular season each of the last two years? Week ten is not the litmus test. 

I’m looking at it this way—the Bills got a favor with Cinci losing (along with Jacksonville & Baltimore). 

The Texans are 7th ranked in the AFC as of right now, we are 9th. If we lose tomorrow it increases. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Pitt won, Cleveland won, Houston won...colts won. At 5-4 we are in the mix with all of these teams and have wayyyy too many conference losses. Unless we rattle off a wining streak, we are at high risk of missing completely. 

Bills play a first place schedule, and Houston plays a last place one.  Houston’s remaining games are all winnable, whereas Buffalo has Dallas, SanDiego, Philly, KC and Miami.  Need to win at least 3 and two must be Miami and San Diego to keep pace with the conference.  The North have a ton of games against each other so Pittsburg, Cinci, and Cleveland will probably suffer a few more losses each (minimum) in conference.  Miami has only two tough games left on their schedule, with Dallas (home) and Baltimore (road).  I thought the Bills easiest path to the playoffs was hope for 2 Miami losses, allowing us a loss to Chiefs and Philly then come down to week 18 against Miami for the division. Only way they make it is to take care of business and that means getting the Offense back on track to scoring 30 points per game.  The defense is somewhat decimated but they can hold all of these teams under 30.  Even KC.  

4 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Pitt won, Cleveland won, Houston won...colts won. At 5-4 we are in the mix with all of these teams and have wayyyy too many conference losses. Unless we rattle off a wining streak, we are at high risk of missing completely. 

3 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Texans are 7th ranked in the AFC as of right now, we are 9th. If we lose tomorrow it increases. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2023/11/12/23958268/afc-playoff-picture-buffalo-bills-will-move-back-into-playoff-spot-with-monday-night-win?mibextid=Zxz2cZ

It isn’t as bleak as you make it out to be. One week at a time.   

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Texans just went into to Cincy and won. CJ Stroud is looking like Mahomes 2.0.  They are another team surpassing us. 

I won't get on board with the Texans surpassing the Bills just yet, but, man, does it ever SUCK to have another apparently excellent QB in the AFC. Enough already! Guys like Justin Fields and Bryce Young went to the NFC, naturally.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, #freejame said:

What do you mean?? Don’t you know we’ve won the most games in the NFL over an arbitrary number of games and years? The Bills are WINNERS. 

I haven’t felt this indifferent toward the Bills since pre Andy Dalton helping the Bills back into the playoffs.  This team just sucks the life out of you.