Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

Nice to see the offense show up in the first half, and against a decent defense.

On 10/23/2023 at 5:56 PM, Scottysabres said:

Ok, if they make it, I'll wear the name. You don't have to change yours if they don't make it in, as much fun as it sounds I'm not as invested in the Bills as you are, so I wouldn't do that to ya.

No way, dude. If Buffalo doesn't make the playoffs, I'm changing my name. If you don't pick it, I'll just pick something stupid for myself.

I think it would make for a better game where if you make a tackle for a safety, it would be worth 3 or 4pts. A team can still concede for two by walking it out the back of the endzone... But the reward for pinning a team and getting the sack should be worth more than what it is now.

Edited by JoeSchmoe
Grammar

17 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Phillips with an inexplicable face mask now puts us on the edge of our seat again. There is no reason for it to be a close game.  

The main reason it was so close was McDermott. Playing scared all the way. And his record on calling TO on defense before a critical play is atrocious. 24 yard TD this time. Does it not occur to him that the other team simply calls a different play?

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Phillips with an inexplicable face mask now puts us on the edge of our seat again. There is no reason for it to be a close game.  

Seriously. Phillips has half a foot and at least 100 pounds on Baker. You're all over the guy, why do you need to put your hands anywhere near his helmet to take him down? So, so dumb.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Seriously. Phillips has half a foot and at least 100 pounds on Baker. You're all over the guy, why do you need to put your hands anywhere near his helmet to take him down? So, so dumb.

***** happens 

A win is a win, but something is not quite right.  Josh seems to be hurting a bit.  The play calling on O is suspect, at best, much of the time.

If the Patriots can do the Bills a solid and squish the fish then the divison in really back in play.  I think the Bills hold the tie-breaker (for now) on the Fins due to the head-to-head win.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills need to do a better job of mixing in more run plays when in the no-huddle.  It's good to see the youngsters playing well on defense.  It's good to see different receivers getting involved.  Time management/calling time-outs still seems to be an issue with the coaching staff.  I saw Diggs slacking on several plays, not even moving off the line when he wasn't involved in the play - I wouldn't say I like that effort; it sends a wrong message to his teammates and makes it easier for the opponent to play defense.

The Must Win was won…

Really like Kincaid… Kid runs great routes and finds open space after his route is done… He and Allen are developing a nice chemistry.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He is the head coach. 

I knew this was going to be the response. It's not a good counter argument. He's been a defensive coach his entire coaching career. He's never once played or coached offense at the college level or higher. 

I'll asked again, what had McDermott done to earn the right to call offensive plays?

Nice to get the win, of course.

Gratifying to see Davis and Shakir step up (to say nothing of Kincaid). It seems clear that Allen prefers the up-tempo 11 personnel approach - where he gets to the line quickly and figures out what he wants to get into based on what the D is showing. So I hope to stick with that.

Speaking of which: It seems like another personnel/roster architecture error by Beane to tee up more 12 personnel for his QB who seems to thrive in 11. (The other major error being Elam - why, why, why fall in love with a guy's measurables when he's a consensus bad fit for your coach's scheme?)

Also, yes - this is a wildcard team.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Gratifying to see Davis and Shakir step up (to say nothing of Kincaid). It seems clear that Allen prefers the up-tempo 11 personnel approach - where he gets to the line quickly and figures out what he wants to get into based on what the D is showing. So I hope to stick with that.

Speaking of which: It seems like another personnel/roster architecture error by Beane to tee up more 12 personnel for his QB who seems to thrive in 11. (The other major error being Elam - why, why, why fall in love with a guy's measurables when he's a consensus bad fit for your coach's scheme?)

I wonder if JA calling plays at the line is an endorsement, or a repudiation of Dorsey.

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I knew this was going to be the response. It's not a good counter argument. He's been a defensive coach his entire coaching career. He's never once played or coached offense at the college level or higher. 

I'll asked again, what had McDermott done to earn the right to call offensive plays?

The “right” comes from being the HC.  In that position he is ultimately accountable for everything.  If he is accountable for everything on the field, then he has the final say on the play calls, unless he decides to defer that, and he accountable for deferring that too   

This not a counter argument, it is the actual reason and it doesn’t mean he would not be better served letting the OC or the QB call the plays. 

Bellichick call plays at times, he was never an offensive coach.  Do you recall that Marv Levy took control of playcalls on short yardage situations?   He felt he should be involved because he is ultimately accountable.   The list is probably pretty long.  

I think McD made several questionable calls yesterday.  Punting at the opponents 45 on 4th and 2 when our offense was rolling and just drove for 7.   Seven more was the dagger.  Additionally, his use of timeouts is always helpful to the opposition.

We got lucky - Even the Hail Mary defense, three Bills in the end zone, two fall down on each other behind the play, three more Bills are near the goal line - any one of them could have been flagged for holding.  Not one defender in position to knock it down.  We could have lost on a Hail Mary - again. 

Questionable Coaching decisions and panic among players in close games have become the norm.  That was easily a game were we put 38 or more on the scoreboard.  It was a game we dominated and yet still almost lost.  

• Agree 3

30 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I won’t call this an error if Kincaid turns out to be a star player.  Drafting Kincaid looks like a smart move to me.  We need another playmaker.  You can see already he is a much better receiver and route runner than Knox. If we play 11, Kincaid should start at TE. 

38 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I wonder if JA calling plays at the line is an endorsement, or a repudiation of Dorsey.

In fairness, I would imagine that Dorsey is calling a short menu of options in advance of Allen being at the line.

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I won’t call this an error if Kincaid turns out to be a star player.  Drafting Kincaid looks like a smart move to me.  We need another playmaker.  You can see already he is a much better receiver and route runner than Knox. If we play 11, Kincaid should start at TE. 

Agreed on Kincaid. I guess the error comes from their having earlier committed to Knox and thereafter created a need to use 12 personnel more than Allen would (apparently) like.

They are a talented DUMB team.

When you have 2 plays from the 1 foot line to score a TD, you don't line up your QB in the shotgun and then hand it off to your RB who is standing on th 9-10 yard line. Tush push to Allen liike Philly does with Hurts. Their blunder gives the opposing DL all day to penetrate. 2 yard loss. Failed 4th down on a bad call. Zero points. Same scenerio in previous games and they don't change  !  DUMB ! 

The standard 1 or more mindless turnover that results in opposing points. D stopping the opposing O on 3rd or 4th down and a flag seems to always come flying. They eat themselves. Over and over and over...

McDermott seems oblivious to change anything. 

• Like (+1) 1