Buffalo Earthquake, Feb 6, 2023.

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Dog was up at 5:19 am pacing up and down the hallway.  I googled if dogs can predict earthquakes and much to my surprise, they can in some circumstances.  I wonder if she picked up sound or vibrations before we can sense them.  

Not sure what quake it was, maybe 99, but my cat was freaking out several minutes before the event.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Trying to see if all my family is safe over there...most of them are not in that area, but you never know who might have been traveling...

Weird Canada has it as a 4.2 magnitude...can we simply not agree on any sort of standard measurement system with them?

It was originally rated at 4.4 by USGS, they revalued it at 3.8.  The Canadian agency may eventually revalue it as well.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Dog was up at 5:19 am pacing up and down the hallway.  I googled if dogs can predict earthquakes and much to my surprise, they can in some circumstances.  I wonder if she picked up sound or vibrations before we can sense them.  

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Not sure what quake it was, maybe 99, but my cat was freaking out several minutes before the event.

Our resident quadruped lightly whimpered when her crate door was opened at 6:05 a.m. and declined to come out for her morning walk. Super unusual behaviour on her part.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yes, I think we're all aware of that.

It's going to be a humanitarian crisis of gigantic proportion when all is said and done.  (I suppose there will be aftershock quakes in the region.)  We'd (the whole globe, not just the US) better get used to the idea of putting aside geopolitical BS and helping other humans in need in Turkey and Syria.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

2600 dead already, I figure will be over 10000 by tomorrow.  Bad buildings and Earthquake zone.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

It's going to be a humanitarian crisis of gigantic proportion when all is said and done.  (I suppose there will be aftershock quakes in the region.)  We'd (the whole globe, not just the US) better get used to the idea of putting aside geopolitical BS and helping other humans in need in Turkey and Syria.

I'm not screwing around; this one is going to be terrifying.  Tons of families have lost / will lose loved ones.

Edited by Eleven
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I think most EU countries will have search and rescue teams flying this night already.

Then again I might be wrong -  One thing I don't get that two countries at war in Russia and Ukraine that need all the medical help they can get themselves are sending medical teams to Turkey....  I get why,but I also don't get why , unless the lives of your people mean ***** all.

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Then again I might be wrong -  One thing I don't get that two countries at war in Russia and Ukraine that need all the medical help they can get themselves are sending medical teams to Turkey....  I get why,but I also don't get why , unless the lives of your people mean ***** all.

Not disagreeing with questioning the situation. That said some considerations would be size and scope of the assistance. Also, if this was a rear echelon type of group their absence could be negligible as opposed to a front line element. 

Turkey would be a country Ukraine might see as useful if/when this escalated. Maybe an act to ingratiate themselves.

Then again…who knows?

Edit: I forgot a separate thread was created for the quake in question. Mods please move as necessary.

Edited by SABRES 0311

18 hours ago, Goldseatsaud said:

Living in Southern California we experienced two of them in six years. You Felt the quake on the office floor.

Giant fault called the new Madrid in Tennessee , Missouri and Arkansas 

The New Madrid quakes are still the biggest ones in the US back in 1811-1812...actually shifted the course of the Mississippi River

On 2/6/2023 at 2:11 PM, Huckleberry said:

2600 dead already, I figure will be over 10000 by tomorrow.  Bad buildings and Earthquake zone.

Over 15K now and likely to still keep growing. My Dad said that is a really poor area of the country and a lot of people from that area came to Istanbul when he was growing up looking for work which is what started Istanbul's growth towards one of the largest cities in the world population wise...

On 2/6/2023 at 7:57 PM, Huckleberry said:

Maybe they are unwilling to go into War Zones due to safety concerns?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.