Buffalo Earthquake, Feb 6, 2023.

LGR4GM

12 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

According to the government site it was a 3.8 earthquake in West Seneca under some person’s house, based on the star they placed at the epicenter 

Bet that person is furiously hiding the entrance to their secret evil genius lair built under the basement right now.

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, phil_soisson said:

Interesting! I wonder if it was somehow in conjunction with the 7.8 magnitude quake that struck Turkey/Syria overnight? I know they are different tectonic plates thousands of miles apart.

I would be surprised if it wasn't...

Most people don't realize it but Buffalo lies on a major fault line and has earthquakes pretty regularly. They are just so small and of magnitudes under 3.0 so they are rarely felt.

This one woke me up as it was centered not far from me and it sounded like thunder inside my room and my alarm clock fell off the dresser.

Last one I remember feeling was about 35 years ago when it lasted for a minute or so and the dining room chandelier shook back and forth.

image.thumb.png.e170849506a3977850e25f517a311fd0.png

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us6000jlqv/map?shakemap-code=us6000jlqv&shakemap-source=us&shakemap-intensity=true&shakemap-mmi-contours=false&shakemap-stations=true

If you zoom in at the link you can see the epicenter located in NW West Seneca, on Steiner Ave., near the 400-I90 interchange.  5.5 miles from downtown, 3.5 miles from my mom's house, 2 miles from my nephew's house.

Edited by Doohickie

Startling as hell.

Prayers up for those poor souls in Turkey/Syria. 

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Last one I remember feeling was about 35 years ago when it lasted for a minute or so and the dining room chandelier shook back and forth.

I remember the one in May 1995. That was a lot like this one — just a sudden boom like explosion that made us all think that a truck had crashed into the building we were in.

Evidently, a lot of people here remember a 2010 earthquake that was centred near Ottawa. That was a 5.0 and made buildings in WNY sway. I don’t recall it. 

Coincidentally, that quake occurred on the exact same day as Landon Donovan’s famous goal against … Algiers? … to send the USMNT through to the knockouts in the 2010 Mens World Cup.

16 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Startling as hell.

Prayers up for those poor souls in Turkey/Syria. 

I remember the one in May 1995. That was a lot like this one — just a sudden boom like explosion that made us all think that a truck had crashed into the building we were in.

Trying to see if all my family is safe over there...most of them are not in that area, but you never know who might have been traveling...

59 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

image.thumb.png.e170849506a3977850e25f517a311fd0.png

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us6000jlqv/map?shakemap-code=us6000jlqv&shakemap-source=us&shakemap-intensity=true&shakemap-mmi-contours=false&shakemap-stations=true

If you zoom in at the link you can see the epicenter located in NW West Seneca, on Steiner Ave., near the 400-I90 interchange.  5.5 miles from downtown, 3.5 miles from my mom's house, 2 miles from my nephew's house.

Weird Canada has it as a 4.2 magnitude...can we simply not agree on any sort of standard measurement system with them?

• Haha (+1) 1

About ten or so years ago I was in a building and on the computer with a person in Albany and the building shook here in Jamestown. Not a nice feeling with a building of concrete and steel swaying. So the person in Albany goes, "Wooh, did you feel that???" I was like, yes, yes I did. It went all across the state. 

13 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Weird Canada has it as a 4.2 magnitude...can we simply not agree on any sort of standard measurement system with them?

there is an international standard measurement system - richter, right?

i suspect the 2 reporting agencies will reconcile their readings so that there's an official report. it's a US quake, so i'd think the US report would be the official one.

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Woke me up.  The dog and the cats were nonplussed.

Makes sense - it was a sudden, surprising, and confusing event.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

About ten or so years ago I was in a building and on the computer with a person in Albany and the building shook here in Jamestown. Not a nice feeling with a building of concrete and steel swaying. So the person in Albany goes, "Wooh, did you feel that???" I was like, yes, yes I did. It went all across the state. 

Summertime, right?  I remember that one too.  I was on the deck of the Italian Fisherman on Bemus Pt enjoying a mojito when that one hit.  The whole deck swayed for about 5-10 seconds.

I remember the “earthquake “ when the Retsof salt mine collapsed in the late 90s. 

We are generally east of this epicenter.  I’m really surprised we didn’t feel it at all.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.