The Cozens Contract

DarthEbriate

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

I feel like we are arguing the same point but whatever.

I like how Jost and Mitts have played and Mitts especially has surprised me but I think they both can and should be improved upon next year. 

I've done this before, Mitts is scoring just below Bostons 3rd line. Idk how you expect or demand better from a 3rd line. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I've done this before, Mitts is scoring just below Bostons 3rd line. Idk how you expect or demand better from a 3rd line. 

It’s not just about scoring. 

Is your opinion that the Sabres are a Cup contender with the top ten you mentioned previously? Assuming,  of course, that JJP and Quinn continue to develop, and not thinking about defense and goalie for this point.

if so, that’s fine, I disagree but I don’t think it’s impossible to consider.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

You don’t think so?  Makar, Miro and Fox are all under 10, aren’t they?  And I think those are recent signings 

Maybe all our players will sign for well under market value by choice and we can just sit on 30 mil of cap space that we aren’t going to use, anyways, because we don’t bring in players from the outside that need to be paid, correct? We’ll be the first perennial cup team in history that did so without even needing to worry about salary - Pegula will be happy, at least.

We aren’t just going to win the cup, it’ll be the greatest cup by way of value that’s ever been awarded 

- - - 

Heiskanen isn’t close to Dahlin

Fox isn’t quite as good, and will have signed 2 years earlier than Dahlin, and already makes 9.5. Why would a better player, 2 years later, take the same amount? 

Dahlin/Makar a toss up for ability but again, Makar will have signed a full 2 years earlier. 

- - - 

Cozens deal is a smart re-up that avoids bridging. We save money. That’s not an Adams thing that’s a league thing 

This is exactly what Adams *declined* to do with Dahlin. He’s already been bridged. He’s getting 10+

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

It’s not just about scoring. 

Is your opinion that the Sabres are a Cup contender with the top ten you mentioned previously? Assuming,  of course, that JJP and Quinn continue to develop, and not thinking about defense and goalie for this point.

if so, that’s fine, I disagree but I don’t think it’s impossible to consider.

Yes. I do. 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Maybe all our players will sign for well under market value by choice and we can just sit on 30 mil of cap space that we aren’t going to use, anyways, because we don’t bring in players from the outside that need to be paid, correct? We’ll be the first perennial cup team in history that did so without even needing to worry about salary - Pegula will be happy, at least.

We aren’t just going to win the cup, it’ll be the greatest cup by way of value that’s ever been awarded 

- - - 

Heiskanen isn’t close to Dahlin

Fox isn’t quite as good, and will have signed 2 years earlier than Dahlin, and already makes 9.5. Why would a better player, 2 years later, take the same amount? 

Dahlin/Makar a toss up for ability but again, Makar will have signed a full 2 years earlier. 

- - - 

Cozens deal is a smart re-up that avoids bridging. We save money. That’s not an Adams thing that’s a league thing 

This is exactly what Adams *declined* to do with Dahlin. He’s already been bridged. He’s getting 10+

I'm hoping Dahlin takes 9.5x8

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think our differential re: forwards is about mid-pack though, right? I don’t think anyone could say we don’t have the offensive talent of a potential contender once some of the younger players develop - it’ll be interesting to see if their defensive game rounds out to the level where it’s good enough overall. 

Just now, Thorny said:

I think our differential re: forwards is about mid-pack though, right? I don’t think anyone could say we don’t have the offensive talent of a potential contender once some of the younger players develop - it’ll be interesting to see if their defensive game rounds out to the level where it’s good enough overall. 

Jack Quinn already has a burgeoning defensive game. 

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That would be great news.  Didn’t Chad also report KA had Ullmark signed to an extension?  I’ll believe it when I see it.

32 minutes ago, inkman said:

I never heard that 

Lance Lysowski and a few other reporters were said the Sabres were confident  in their negotiations about Ullmark’s Extension from just before the TDL up to the start of UFA. No one reported the extension was complete. 

Chad did have the Tage Contract Extension three hours before any of the NHL Insiders did, in this case Kevin Weekes was the first one.

Edited by Brawndo

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I went back and looked at the Ullmark thread and Vogl (and @tom webster) said they were close to an extension.  We all remember how that turned out.

I hope they get this done asap.  

To be honest, I said I was told it was done. Still believe KA overplayed his hand but it’s all ancient history now. Might be the only thing he really missed on so far.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

To be honest, I said I was told it was done. Still believe KA overplayed his hand but it’s all ancient history now. Might be the only thing he really missed on so far.

Yep.  He was penny wise, pound foolish. Just think where we would be with "Ullmark level" goaltending.  We'd be easily in the playoff spot. 

However the lesson is until the Sabres announce the signing, the deal isn't done.

• Eyeroll 1

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yep.  He was penny wise, pound foolish. Just think where we would be with "Ullmark level" goaltending.  We'd be easily in the playoff spot. 

However the lesson is until the Sabres announce the signing, the deal isn't done.

We had “Ullmark level” goaltending when he was here. The reason he’s suddenly a Vezina candidate is that Boston has excellent defensemen and excellent defensive forwards and a more defensive scheme than we do. 

7 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

That would be a Christmas, Passover, Eid and every other major holiday miracle for sure.

I hope that you are right and if that letter *he* penned to the fans is really legit it certianly is possible.

As much as I want to be sarcastic about it, ya, it’s possible. I just think it’s very unlikely he comes in at under 10 and I wouldn’t start to get my hopes up for something that unlikely. It’s no sweat anyways because of the other value contracts we’ll have. If at the end of the day he’s willing to sign for below what he’s worth maybe we see a deal in at 9.5, I’m certainly not complaining. Just see it starting w/ a “1”.

Edited by Thorny