Thank you Sabres

dudacek

36 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Felices Satvrnalia.

There are at least two unconfirmable theories connecting Christmas with Saturnalia (which is improperly named because it was the festival of the Mediterranean sun god and not Saturn)--either or neither may be correct.  But when was the first recorded Christmas celebration?

Edited by Eleven

Merry Christmas all!  It’s presents in the AM tomorrow followed by a midday feast of shrimp cocktail and cheese and crackers to start, then bone-in rib roast, mashed potatoes and green beans with the in-laws tomorrow, plus champagne, red wine, my MIL’s surprisingly good cheesecake (she’s a lousy cook) and the world’s best chocolate cake for dessert.

IMHO it’s the Skinner-TT-Tuch of family meals.

Wishing everyone here a great holiday.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Merry Christmas all!  It’s presents in the AM tomorrow followed by a midday feast of shrimp cocktail and cheese and crackers to start, then bone-in rib roast, mashed potatoes and green beans with the in-laws tomorrow, plus champagne, red wine, my MIL’s surprisingly good cheesecake (she’s a lousy cook) and the world’s best chocolate cake for dessert.

IMHO it’s the Skinner-TT-Tuch of family meals.

Wishing everyone here a great holiday.  

We couldn't do our normal trip in to hang w/ family tonight, but the kids are home & we did a turkey dinner tonight & the tradional steak dinner is set for dinner on the day of days.

Not sure what is on the itinerary except watching the Fish try to miss the playoffs.  Hard to believe the whole division was above 0.500 about 4 weeks ago.

Loo,ing forward to the Sabres getting back to it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 things I want primarily from any sports team I follow:

1.)  Offense.  I was never one for the classic 'pitchers duel' in baseball or any kind of hard fought defensive battle. I want goals, points, runs, the more the better.  I am getting this so far from the Sabres so that is good.

2.)  Exceeding expecations.  For the most part getting this.  Positive team goal differential (top 10 in the league). More points than games played.  Still in the conversation for the Wildcard.  I'll take it.

3.) Win the championship. Well, they probably aren't going to do this, but very few teams I follow make it here so....

2 out of 3 realistically make it a good season for the Sabres and so far I'm just about there.

• Like (+1) 4

• 3 weeks later...

Still am amazed at how similar the path of the Sabres has been since their last place finish & the early '00's Canes since their last place finish has seemed.

There is definitely only a guess at what those '04-'05 Canes would've been due to the lockout, but based on what they were the next year & the 2 prior years expect they'd've been borderline for making the playoffs.  Similar to this year's Sabres.

Really expect this team to finish in the 90's but probably too low to make the playoffs (which stinks because it's 24 years after 99 😉).  But that's still far and away their best full season under the current owners & looking like next year could be really special w/ only 2-4 upgrades & none of those (except possibly a goalie) being overly hard nor pricy to obtain.  This year is fun.  Next year could be special.

Yeah, would also like to see a true 2nd pairing partner for Power this season, just don't see it happening this year.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Still am amazed at how similar the path of the Sabres has been since their last place finish & the early '00's Canes since their last place finish has seemed.

There is definitely only a guess at what those '04-'05 Canes would've been due to the lockout, but based on what they were the next year & the 2 prior years expect they'd've been borderline for making the playoffs.  Similar to this year's Sabres.

Really expect this team to finish in the 90's but probably too low to make the playoffs (which stinks because it's 24 years after 99 😉).  But that's still far and away their best full season under the current owners & looking like next year could be really special w/ only 2-4 upgrades & none of those (except possibly a goalie) being overly hard nor pricy to obtain.  This year is fun.  Next year could be special.

Yeah, would also like to see a true 2nd pairing partner for Power this season, just don't see it happening this year.

I been thinking same, Though KO and Zemgus been good, its stil usually the place where pucks go to die.   But I figure we need one more year out of them.

Kulich, Rousek, Östlund, Savoie will boost that bottom 6 like hell in 2 years.

7 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

This is not aging well, unfortunately 

Lot of words in that opening post.

At first blush I don’t regret any. Never thought we were going to get through the year without a slump or a few stinkers.

Still looks very much like a team on its way up to me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.