Is Kevyn Adams doing anything?

Zamboni

Is Kevyn Adams doing anything?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. The board seems to be split on this. Is General Manager Kevyn Adams doing anything to help the Buffalo Sabres so far this season?

• No. I think he's sitting on his hands. He's sitting on his butt. He's not making or taking phone calls. He's not talking trade scenarios with anyone including his staff. He's not doing anything whatsoever to help the Buffalo Sabres.
    • I think he's doing things to help the Buffalo Sabres. But it isn't enough in my opinion.
    • I think he's making/taking phone calls, meeting with this staff, trying to get the right roster player. While still sticking to the overall plan that the staff has implemented. I'm fine with what he's doing so far.
    • I have a different opinion not listed.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/18/2022 at 06:00 PM

The most overcrowded vessel is the one that sails on the golden sea of memories.

Your past has forgotten you, your future is waiting for you.

If you are depressed  you are living in the past. 
If you are anxious you are living in the future. 
If you are at peace you are living in the present.

We do not heal the past by dwelling there. We heal the past by living in the present.

For some, the past is the only currency they feel they have to be relevant. 

The future is so bright I got to wear shades 😎

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Everything you asked for above was available last summer and was just as set up for Adams as next off-season.  The team turned the corner last year and had he done what you suggest for next off-season last off-season we wouldn’t still be in the bottom 1/3 of the NHL.  We knew last off-season we needed at least two capable NHL D for the top 6, we knew we needed a legit starter in goal, we knew we needed a 4th line center and he had and has $20 mill in cap to do it.  The needs remain the same.  The only real difference is that the franchise has wasted another season.

How different would we look if we just did what NJ did, in addition to signing Bush.  They acquired Vanacek and the 46th pick for picks 37 & 70.  They also acquired John Marino for Ty Smith (who is in the AHL) and a 3rd after this season.  

You literally are ignoring facts at this point. 

He added Jost, 4th line center. 

He added Comrie, because it was the only goalie he could get and he has a chance to be a starter. 

He added Boosh, because we needed 2 defenders. He also added Clague and the other ahl defenders. So yes he needed another defender. 

You act like adams is a moron who does nothing. Your take all stems back to your love of Botteril and your animosity towards his firing. 

Please, tell me what move Adams should snap his fingers and make? Because he did a ton of work this offseason including the tage and muel contracts. He was smart enough to get Anderson back cuz he knew upl wasn't ready. 

You'll ignore this though and again post the equivalent of "Adams didn't do what I wanted." We get it. We all get it, you think he should make a move. Holy *****. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Zamboni said:

The most overcrowded vessel is the one that sails on the golden sea of memories.

Your past has forgotten you, your future is waiting for you.

If you are depressed  you are living in the past. 
If you are anxious you are living in the future. 
If you are at peace you are living in the present.

We do not heal the past by dwelling there. We heal the past by living in the present.

For some, the past is the only currency they feel they have to be relevant. 

The future is so bright I got to wear shades 😎

I'm a history person (reading, writing, researching) but I don't like to dwell on my personal past too much. Live in the present and plan for the future! 👍 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

He added Comrie, because it was the only goalie he could get and he has a chance to be a starter. 

He added Boosh, because we needed 2 defenders. He also added Clague and the other ahl defenders. So yes he needed another defender. 

You act like adams is a moron who does nothing. Your take all stems back to your love of Botteril and your animosity towards his firing. 

Please, tell me what move Adams should snap his fingers and make? Because he did a ton of work this offseason including the tage and muel contracts. He was smart enough to get Anderson back cuz he knew upl wasn't ready. 

You'll ignore this though and again post the equivalent of "Adams didn't do what I wanted." We get it. We all get it, you think he should make a move. Holy *****. 

Just hoping he finds another goalie and maybe a D

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I’ve pointed out multiple moves that other clubs in our situation like Det and NJ which were low cost trades that KA had the assets to make and instead went to bargain mart for the pieces instead of getting real players.  It all goes back to his unwillingness to use assets other than cap space to improve the team and even than to only use as little cap as possible.  This has zero to do with Jbot.  It has everything to do with a GM unwilling to properly build on the rebound from last season.

NJ - Adds Marino, Vanacek and a mid 2nd for an early second, their version of Bryson, and 2 3rds.  
Buffalo - Comrie, Bush and Jost for FA cash and a waivers claim.  

Are you seriously telling me that these moves are equivalents?  I forget you think Bush is as good as Marino.  

Thank you for proving my point.  The NJ GM was serious about winning and improved his club through trades and managed to do so very inexpensively, while our GM went shopping at bargain mart and got exactly what he paid for, 3 stop gap players who don’t make this club better now or in the future.  

Maybe @Brawndo is right and KA will mentally turn the corner by next offseason and decide to spend some assets in trades like the NJ GM and try to fill our roster with good NHL players.  All I’m saying is that had KA had that opportunity this past off-season and refused.  

@LGR4GM and @brawndo

I'll take this a step further.  Lets say Van offered us Demko and Schenn and a 2nd pick for Comrie, Rosen, our 1st in 2023 (top 7 protected) and a 3rd when Demko returns from IR. Would you make this deal?  If you would, do you think KA would this season?

A recent article in the Athletic puts his trade value at a late first plus a top prospect.  https://theathletic.com/3926168/2022/11/23/canucks-trade-value-rankings/

Considering Demko’s age, his track record of stealing playoff games and his appealing long-term contract, there are those in the industry who believe Demko could easily net a package in the realm of a late first-round pick and a top organizational prospect if he were made available to contending teams on the trade market.

I'd make the deal in a minute.  I think Demko is slightly overpaid, but the 3 years left on the deal should give us ample time for Levi to develop properly and give us playoff caliber goaltending now.  Rosen is expendable because of Savoie, Östlund and Kulich.  While I'd like to keep the 2023 1st in a deep draft, most of the top of this draft is more good forwards which is where our great depth is.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

On 12/12/2022 at 12:00 AM, LTS said:

And therein lies the issue.  Those who believe it was as an important a priority and what the organization actually planned for. But then again, the trick is identifying which goaltender would have been the Sabres savior.  People tend to look at the positivity of this season and forget that even a year ago, or two years ago, and certainly three.. the Sabres were not a place where players would choose to go.  We still debate whether players want to come here today.

So.. who are they getting without overpaying.. and if they overpay, what impacts does that have on the current situation?

I think 2-3 year ago this org was a dumpster fire. Now we’re the highest scoring team in the NHL. The situation in Buffalo is different today. 500 days ago, no quality goaltender is coming here. 

Today though…This is likely a more attractive team than it used to be. By that metric Adams has been an improvement. But I’m. It sure if he’s been good enough. Like other posters have said, how we handle the goalie position, what we give up, and how it pans out will define Kevyn Adams in Buffalo. 

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@LGR4GM and @brawndo

I'll take this a step further.  Lets say Van offered us Demko and Schenn and a 2nd pick for Comrie, Rosen, our 1st in 2023 (top 7 protected) and a 3rd when Demko returns from IR. Would you make this deal?  If you would, do you think KA would this season?

A recent article in the Athletic puts his trade value at a late first plus a top prospect.  https://theathletic.com/3926168/2022/11/23/canucks-trade-value-rankings/

I'd make the deal in a minute.  I think Demko is slightly overpaid, but the 3 years left on the deal should give us ample time for Levi to develop properly and give us playoff caliber goaltending now.  Rosen is expendable because of Savoie, Östlund and Kulich.  While I'd like to keep the 2023 1st in a deep draft, most of the top of this draft is more good forwards which is where our great depth is.

I wouldn't make this trade in a million years, and I don't think any NHL GM would either.

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I wouldn't make this trade in a million years, and I don't think any NHL GM would either.

Which way?  Van refusing or Buffalo refusing?  You don't think an NHL GM needing goaltending would trade a 1st and a prospects for Demko, a proven young goalie in his prime with 3 years left on his deal and without a NMC/NTC?  I will respectively disagree.  

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think 2-3 year ago this org was a dumpster fire. Now we’re the highest scoring team in the NHL. The situation in Buffalo is different today. 500 days ago, no quality goaltender is coming here. 

Today though…This is likely a more attractive team than it used to be. By that metric Adams has been an improvement. But I’m. It sure if he’s been good enough. Like other posters have said, how we handle the goalie position, what we give up, and how it pans out will define Kevyn Adams in Buffalo. 

I am sure that Devon Levi is watching what is happening in Buffalo and seeing these young players emerge.  He should be ready to play in Rochester next year and then maybe in Buffalo the year after.  

If Comrie plays behind a solid defense, he may be able to help us.  For most of his games played he was behind an injured defense with several AHL players.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Which way?  Van refusing or Buffalo refusing?  You don't think an NHL GM needing goaltending would trade a 1st and a prospects for Demko, a proven young goalie in his prime with 3 years left on his deal and without a NMC/NTC?  I will respectively disagree.  

You answered your own question, because the answer is obvious -- no NHL GM would trade a pick that looks likely to be 8 overall, plus a good scoring forward prospect who was #14 overall last year, for Demko.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

You answered your own question, because the answer is obvious -- no NHL GM would trade a pick that looks likely to be 8 overall, plus a good scoring forward prospect who was #14 overall last year, for Demko.

Actually the Sabres are in the 11th slot and if we get Demko would could end up 15/16 area. As the Athletic pointed out a 1st and a prospect is the price.  Schenn and a 2nd are included in the deal to balance the value between a mid-first and a late first.  However Van will get that general framework (1st and prospect) if they choose to trade Demko.  I'm perfectly ok with swapping Östlund for Rosen in the deal.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

42 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually the Sabres are in the 11th slot and if we get Demko would could end up 15/16 area. As the Athletic pointed out a 1st and a prospect is the price.  Schenn and a 2nd are included in the deal to balance the value between a mid-first and a late first.  However Van will get that general framework (1st and prospect) if they choose to trade Demko.  I'm perfectly ok with swapping Östlund for Rosen in the deal.  

Here's what the Athletic said:

For some win-now teams, Demko would be viewed as a high-leverage difference maker and an ideal finishing piece. Goaltenders are seen as fungible by some organizations and as such, they very rarely net the sorts of packages that skaters do in trades. Considering Demko’s age, his track record of stealing playoff games and his appealing long-term contract, there are those in the industry who believe Demko could easily net a package in the realm of a late first-round pick and a top organizational prospect if he were made available to contending teams on the trade market.

So we're relying on "there are those in the industry" and "late first-round pick" and "currently in the 11th slot" (although #10, #9 and #8 are one point worse, #10 has 2 games in hand and #7 and #9 have 1 game in hand) as support for the Sabres trading what is highly likely to be a mid-lottery pick plus Rosen?

Smells like #hammymath.

18 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Here's what the Athletic said:

So we're relying on "there are those in the industry" and "late first-round pick" and "currently in the 11th slot" (although #10, #9 and #8 are one point worse, #10 has 2 games in hand and #7 and #9 have 1 game in hand) as support for the Sabres trading what is highly likely to be a mid-lottery pick plus Rosen?

Smells like #hammymath.

GM's have pick value charts and here is one from the Athletic. https://theathletic.com/1798463/2020/06/12/by-the-numbers-revisiting-the-true-value-of-a-draft-pick/

The Sabres sit 11th right now which garners 5.7 pts.  The 27th pick is 3.2 pts.  So if we give them our 1st and Östlund/Rosen for Demko they need to also through in their 2nd in 2023 which would be around pick 34, which is worth 2.5 pts to balance the difference between our pick and the last rd pick the Athletic article mentioned.  

You can easily disagree that Demko is worth the equivalent of 2 1st rd picks and that is a reasonable argument, but a some point KA needs to stop shopping at bargain mart and take a reasonable risk, and this is not a crazy price in the current environment. It's also hard to know what a good youngish goalie under contract is worth.  I looked quickly but haven't found any similar deals recently.  Most of been trades are for older goalies or not completely proven RFAs like Vanacek or Georgiev.  Don't forget that TM traded a 1st and took back a bad contract to get Lehner.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Everything you asked for above was available last summer and was just as set up for Adams as next off-season.  The team turned the corner last year and had he done what you suggest for next off-season last off-season we wouldn’t still be in the bottom 1/3 of the NHL.  We knew last off-season we needed at least two capable NHL D for the top 6, we knew we needed a legit starter in goal, we knew we needed a 4th line center and he had and has $20 mill in cap to do it.  The needs remain the same.  The only real difference is that the franchise has wasted another season.

How different would we look if we just did what NJ did, in addition to signing Bush.  They acquired Vanacek and the 46th pick for picks 37 & 70.  They also acquired John Marino for Ty Smith (who is in the AHL) and a 3rd after this season.  

This season was always going to be about development. Entering TC who were the players that were guarantees? Tuch and Dahlin. There was skepticism surrounding Thompson, Skinner has a history of being an up-and-down player year to year, power looked fantastic during his a games last season, but there’s no guarantee that this would continue into this year based on the fact that he’s playing one of the toughest positions in the league at defenseman. A perfect example of this is Mitts. 

Quinn and JJ Peterka had a total of three NHL games between them and Dylan Cozens was being compared to Zemgus in terms of development by some people on this board.

The team needed the flexibility to put people into situations to see what they have in them. This is the reason why Mitts and VO are consistently in the lineup when they’re playing times has deserve them to be healthy scratches. If the Sabres had signed free agents. There would be expectations by these players about playing time and this would cut into the development of the younger players on the team.

in terms of the trades that the Devils made, Vanacek didn’t have the numbers that he does the season until he started playing behind the New Jersey defense. The picks that were sent for Him, were better than what Buffalo had. Also, last season he had 2.9 goals above, expected last season. The Devils defense certainly has helped.

In terms of John Marino, Sam Ventura was the reason why Pittsburgh drafted him. He was also the reason why Marino, signed the contract that he was. You can’t tell me at the Sabres were not in on these negotiations unfortunately, they did not have a Defenseman of Ty Smith Caliber. Yes, he’s in the AHL this year, but he was taken in the first round in 2018, and for some reason NHL GM’s cannot stay away from players like that. Ryan Johnson probably would’ve gotten the deal done. Had he been signed a contract unfortunately for the Sabres they were not able to complete it.

• Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

GM's have pick value charts and here is one from the Athletic. https://theathletic.com/1798463/2020/06/12/by-the-numbers-revisiting-the-true-value-of-a-draft-pick/

The Sabres sit 11th right now which garners 5.7 pts.  The 27th pick is 3.2 pts.  So if we give them our 1st and Östlund/Rosen for Demko they need to also through in their 2nd in 2023 which would be around pick 34, which is worth 2.5 pts to balance the difference between our pick and the last rd pick the Athletic article mentioned.  

You can easily disagree that Demko is worth the equivalent of 2 1st rd picks and that is a reasonable argument, but a some point KA needs to stop shopping at bargain mart and take a reasonable risk, and this is not a crazy price in the current environment. It's also hard to know what a good youngish goalie under contract is worth.  I looked quickly but haven't found any similar deals recently.  Most of been trades are for older goalies or not completely proven RFAs like Vanacek or Georgiev.  Don't forget that TM traded a 1st and took back a bad contract to get Lehner.

You forgot that you included Comrie in this package.  Comrie, Rosen, 1st, and 3rd is too much for a G, an impending UFA, and a 2nd.

Getting Schenn alone makes more sense to me.  But other teams will offer late 1sts while GMKA should not move ours.

A thought for Adams to consider for a goalie fix and wanted to get all of your thoughts:

Pyotr Kochetkov was signed to a 4 year deal for 2M AAV and looks stellar.
Antti Raanta has 1 year left at 2M AAV and is 33.
Frederick Andersen also has 1 year left at 4.5M AAV and is also 33.

Something has to give here. Andersen is skating again and when he comes back, I can see them making a move.

Should Adams pounce on this?

Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Again:  no NHL GM -- let alone the GM of a rebuilding team -- would trade what could very easily be the #8 overall pick in a deep draft -- i.e. a player like Quinn -- plus a very good prospect who was #14 overall last year, for Demko (who, btw, has been a starter for all of 2 seasons and is currently recovering from a significant injury).  Not making a foolish deal like that is not "shopping at Bargain Mart."  It's just avoiding a foolish move.

And citing TM's trade of #21 overall for Lehner doesn't help your argument -- it hurts it.  Lehner was a washout with the Sabres and TM was a disaster.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ve pointed out multiple moves that other clubs in our situation like Det and NJ which were low cost trades that KA had the assets to make and instead went to bargain mart for the pieces instead of getting real players.  It all goes back to his unwillingness to use assets other than cap space to improve the team and even than to only use as little cap as possible.  This has zero to do with Jbot.  It has everything to do with a GM unwilling to properly build on the rebound from last season.

NJ - Adds Marino, Vanacek and a mid 2nd for an early second, their version of Bryson, and 2 3rds.  
Buffalo - Comrie, Bush and Jost for FA cash and a waivers claim.  

Are you seriously telling me that these moves are equivalents?  I forget you think Bush is as good as Marino.  

Thank you for proving my point.  The NJ GM was serious about winning and improved his club through trades and managed to do so very inexpensively, while our GM went shopping at bargain mart and got exactly what he paid for, 3 stop gap players who don’t make this club better now or in the future.  

Maybe @Brawndo is right and KA will mentally turn the corner by next offseason and decide to spend some assets in trades like the NJ GM and try to fill our roster with good NHL players.  All I’m saying is that had KA had that opportunity this past off-season and refused.  

I believe all along that Adams knows when the team is going to be ready to make trades and sign  UFAs.  By this off-season, he will have a great  handle on his younger players. He’ll know which one of them are expendable and can be traded. He also knows the value of the players in trades.   Adam is a very smart guy and the first thing he did when constructing his front wants to go out and hire smarter people to fill positions.   They have a plan  and they are going to execute it.  If a deal becomes available and improves the team now. And they believe it is the right one for them. Adams will pull the trigger.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@LGR4GM and @brawndo

I would make this deal I don’t think Vancouver would though. Schenn will probably fetch them a first round, pick in return himself. I also believe Adams will make this deal based on what Jeff Marek said about the Sabres being ready to start building the team around the core. Also, Lance Lysowski mention it’s his belief that the Sabres will need to get another goalie as waiting for Levi isn’t the best idea. 

Demko has struggled this year, but his underlying from the past few years have been very good. If the deal was Rosen and a top 16 protected first 2023. I believe Adam would jump all over it.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I believe all along that Adams knows when the team is going to be ready to make trades and sign  UFAs.  By this off-season, he will have a great  handle on his younger players. He’ll know which one of them are expendable and can be traded. He also knows the value of the players in trades.   Adam is a very smart guy and the first thing he did when constructing his front wants to go out and hire smarter people to fill positions.   They have a plan  and they are going to execute it.  If a deal becomes available and improves the team now. And they believe it is the right one for them. Adams will pull the trigger.

I would make this deal I don’t think Vancouver would though. Schenn will probably fetch them a first round, pick in return himself. I also believe Adams will make this deal based on what Jeff Marek said about the Sabres being ready to start building the team around the core. Also, Lance Lysowski mention it’s his belief that the Sabres will need to get another goalie as waiting for Levi isn’t the best idea. 

Demko has struggled this year, but his underlying from the past few years have been very good. If the deal was Rosen and a top 16 protected first 2023. I believe Adam would jump all over it.

Now you're talking.  #17 OA -- and therefore pretty likely to slide to 2024 -- is materially different from #8 OA.

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

A thought for Adams to consider for a goalie fix and wanted to get all of your thoughts:

Pyotr Kochetkov was signed to a 4 year deal for 2M AAV and looks stellar.
Antti Raanta has 1 year left at 2M AAV and is 33.
Frederick Andersen also has 1 year left at 4.5M AAV and is also 33.

Something has to give here. Andersen is skating again and when he comes back, I can see them making a move.

Should Adams pounce on this?

Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

Karel Vejmelka, might be someone I target (I think he wouldn't cost a ton and at worst gives you a backup). I don't think Kochetkov is available to us honestly. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I am sure that Devon Levi is watching what is happening in Buffalo and seeing these young players emerge.  He should be ready to play in Rochester next year and then maybe in Buffalo the year after.  

If Comrie plays behind a solid defense, he may be able to help us.  For most of his games played he was behind an injured defense with several AHL players.  

Levi is watching closely.  Trading for Demko could make him rethink signing.  I wouldn’t do a thing, if I was GMKA, with the goaltending before Levi signs 

I would however , find another nhl level Dman immediately 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

We have missed the playoffs for ten straight years. This fact requires that KA needs to have some urgency with this rebuild. That means deviating from "the plan" when necessary.  I'm not talking about going out and doing something stupid or anything. But we have a ton of cap space and more potential talent coming up than we have room for.  I believe if KA would have been just a little more aggressive these past couple of off-seasons, we would be in the hunt for the playoffs this year. But since KA is rigid in "sticking to the plan" we get to "wait till next year ". Kinda getting old. I know, patience. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mango said:

I agree with this. Granato is earning a reputation as an excellent coach and the organization is starting to be noticed. Plus, players want to play with stars.. Dahlin and Thompson are that.. and Power.. man he looks really good right now.  Then there's the other line.. that is getting everyone's attention..

It's nice.

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

We have missed the playoffs for ten straight years. This fact requires that KA needs to have some urgency with this rebuild. That means deviating from "the plan" when necessary.  I'm not talking about going out and doing something stupid or anything. But we have a ton of cap space and more potential talent coming up than we have room for.  I believe if KA would have been just a little more aggressive these past couple of off-seasons, we would be in the hunt for the playoffs this year. But since KA is rigid in "sticking to the plan" we get to "wait till next year ". Kinda getting old. I know, patience. 

Do you think KA paces his office nervously thinking about how many years the Sabres have missed the playoffs? I bet he doesn’t.
The only thing that he is concerned about is how many years they have missed the playoffs since he has been the general manager. As it should be. And even the first year that he was the GM, there was no false misconception that the Sabres should be making the playoffs or that it was even a goal at that time. he’s not thinking like a disgruntled Sabres fan who has lived through the decade of no playoffs. And he shouldn’t be. for me… When somebody brings up the fact that we have not made the playoffs in a decade, and pair that up with comments about Kevin Adams. It loses all credibility for me.

And even talking about how the Sabres haven’t made the playoffs since KA has been the GM, well we’ve gone through that so much as to why that is. At least the honest logical discussions have IMO.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.