Is Kevyn Adams doing anything?

Zamboni

Is Kevyn Adams doing anything?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. The board seems to be split on this. Is General Manager Kevyn Adams doing anything to help the Buffalo Sabres so far this season?

• No. I think he's sitting on his hands. He's sitting on his butt. He's not making or taking phone calls. He's not talking trade scenarios with anyone including his staff. He's not doing anything whatsoever to help the Buffalo Sabres.
    • I think he's doing things to help the Buffalo Sabres. But it isn't enough in my opinion.
    • I think he's making/taking phone calls, meeting with this staff, trying to get the right roster player. While still sticking to the overall plan that the staff has implemented. I'm fine with what he's doing so far.
    • I have a different opinion not listed.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/18/2022 at 06:00 PM

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Get a goalie plan.  Adams is a jerk.  And he spells his first name like he is experimenting with his gender.

Adams had a deal in place with Ottawa for Matt Murray, Murray nixed it. 

He was far enough into talks with the Ducks that Gibson was approached about waiving to come to Buffalo. Based on His Play Thankfully Gibson said no.

There was plans outside of Comrie.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

We sort of take on the lingo of whoever the GM is at the time, and their common buzz words become the key/legend for how we expect the given rebuild to proceed: one bit of lingo we used to use that has more/less evaporated into thin air is draft picks as “currency”. It’s still a thing - Adams hasn’t spoken about this really but that’s probably timing. In the past, we may have cashed in too quick. But most any team properly assembled, on NHL ice, is supported by a deep through-line of in-system talent, at one point. We have clearly achieved the deep system bit. 

But over time, as the top side of the Sabres becomes more strong and powerful, the part of the iceberg we see above the surface, the mechanics of that operation become so intensive that it needs more immediate “blood flow”. Whereas the Sabres operation (this rebuild) up until now has been well-sustained by supplementing the ranks below the surface, as immediacy wasn’t required, soon more of that lifeblood needs to be transferred to the big team: the better it gets, the more it needs, but also: the more we can afford to give it. The stronger the roster, the less we need to supplement the “future”, the less served the system is by allocating resources to the “below the surface” portion, the more necessary it is to convert asset to the immediacy the roster demands. The strong NHL roster is actually served just as well by a lesser quantity of pick/prospect asset, as less is required on its face.

This is where draft picks/prospects as currency comes in. There will come a time when the cash needs to flow for sustainability. I think that’s this offseason.

If the right deal for Chychrun or Demko type is available He probably pulls the trigger. 

I agree the deals  probably comes in the offseason. 

All teams will be in play, the slotting of the Sabres 2023 1st will be known and whether the salary cap will be going up one to four million will be established.

I am a huge supporter of Adams Plan. From His Appearance on Sabres Live, it sounds like they would like to lock up Cozens, Dahlin and Power to Long Term Deals, the latter two can be signed to new deals after July 1st, meaning The Sabres Core will be locked in for years to come.  At that point there is zero excuse not to make moves to shore up the defensive depth, bottom six and most importantly goaltending.

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Agreed. He’s been more productive but on the fourth line. Therefore, if he remains on that line he gets fourth liner pay. Understanding that comparisons to other players is a thing for setting market value. 

He may earn a good deal but we should worry about that if/when the time comes. He just hasn’t shown enough to warrant setting anything aside yet in advance 

His production / role still hasn’t ascended beyond the level of being reasonably replaced with a cheaper-than-Krebs’-contract-would-be ELC player, should we continue to apparently draft well. He just hasn’t earned a deal, yet.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I still get old school cable and recently the CMT channel appears to be in free trial, and I’ve taken to watching this show as well as Cheers. 

Can say I am hooked 

Not a fan.  I like Roz all right, and the old man is ok.  But Niles gives off Darcy vibes.

27 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Adams had a deal in place with Ottawa for Matt Murray, Murray nixed it. 

He was far enough into talks with the Ducks that Gibson was approached about waiving to come to Buffalo. Based on His Play Thankfully Gibson said no.

There was plans outside of Comrie.

Do.  Or do not.  There is no try.  I mean it.  I'm a Sabres fan, and I don't have to like a GM who can't get a goalie.

Edited by Eleven

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He may earn a good deal but we should worry about that if/when the time comes. He just hasn’t shown enough to warrant setting anything aside yet in advance 

Exactly. To date Krebs is expendable and has not shown much upside outside of a fourth line roll. Some might say there were similar feelings toward TT. The difference is TT had size and shot. I haven’t seen many attributes from Krebs that makes me think he could be special. Hope I am wrong in the end.

2 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Exactly. To date Krebs is expendable and has not shown much upside outside of a fourth line roll. Some might say there were similar feelings toward TT. The difference is TT had size and shot. I haven’t seen many attributes from Krebs that makes me think he could be special. Hope I am wrong in the end.

The fact Tage has had probably one of the most unlikely rises to this sort of prominence of the last generation of hockey players (generational development? Lol) is definitely going to create a situation where there are people hesitant to move on from.. well, anyone. I understand it but the team’s priorities will shift, and ya Sabres won’t have the time/luxury of being a development factory when time becomes more of the essence. 

As people always say, the more difficult job of the GM is to come. It’s really already started: when identifying core there will be guys Adams eventually needs to jettison. Without the benefit of unlimited runway in waiting and watching development, we will need our GM’s talent analysis to come through with some tough choices before all the information is available. 

When we are good, we may new a new term beyond “JAG”. Perhaps, E-JAG. Players on ELCs we cycle through that can provide contribution while breaking almost no bank. Sometimes we need to shuffle these players through - that very flexibility contains as much or more value, when trying to tally Ws, as another LT contract 

1 minute ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

I've always considered it one the more cerebral sit-coms.  There was some great writing there.

Just coming around to the mastery of both. 

Cheers actually has some dynamic cinematography. Sort of a lost art in sitcoms 

1 hour ago, Goldseatsaud said:

Trust the process 

Every morning. S**t Shower and Shave right? 

The phrasing is too absolute. I think he is doing things, but I don't think he's actively pursuing the things we want and feel we need. 

I think it likely (for example) that he's made a bid on Chychrun but it's likely a low ball bid compared to what they want and Adams is fine to wait it out or even let it not happen. Arizona wants 2 1sts, I would guess he's offered them 2nds and maybe a prospect like Rosen. 

I don't believe he's actively pursuing a goalie or any other major move though. Might have feelers out on our potential deadline candidates (ufas). So I guess the short answer would be, not a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Get a goalie plan.  Adams is a jerk.  And he spells his first name like he is experimenting with his gender.

You really think there is a goalie available at the moment? 
Besides, bringing in another quality D is much more imperative.  Last night they had Clague, Fitz and Bryson playing in the same game.   It’s just not a recipe for success.  
 Once they get 6 NHL level dmen playing, the goaltender issues will be solved organically 

Few trades of any import are made during the season up until near the trading deadline unless one of the trading partners is getting skinned. Lehner cost a 1st during the offseason and the criticism here was deafening. A win/win trade has to satisfy many variables and few teams want to make a move with their players until they make the choice between being a buyer or a seller. In order to make a significant move now GMKA would have to overpay in either draft picks, prospects or both. Bank on it. The things in the Sabre's favor are that they only need to pick up 1 NHL caliber goaltender and since they have very high caliber offensive defensemen that can run the Power Play, they only need stay at home tough defensemen types that should be easier and cheaper to obtain. Teams simply aren't going to give them up now but will be willing to do so if they don't see a path to the playoffs well after the 1st of the year.  We don't need, nor will we get a Makar. A McCabe or two would be a move that fits both our needs and the budget. Again, that's not going to happen until specific team's circumstances allow it. Adam's efforts today and in the next few months need to be spent on discussing with other GM's the kind of deals that under the right circumstance could be made. It does no good for Sabre fans to harp on perceived inactivity today when they don't understand that the kind of activity that they want is an announcement of the culmination of the work that goes on for months prior to a final deal. 

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Do.  Or do not.  There is no try.  I mean it.  I'm a Sabres fan, and I don't have to like a GM who can't get a goalie.

I’m not ready to completely dismiss Comrie yet. He was 2-1 before Samuelsson went out with His Injury and 2-6 after. 
Add in the fact that Jokiharju and Lyubuskin were also injured and for some inexplicable reason Granato decided to pair Dahlin-Power together for a few games while the rest of the D Pairs were AHL Level. 

He is due back around Christmas per Lance Lysowski, lets see how He does with normalized D Pairs. 

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I’m not ready to completely dismiss Comrie yet. He was 2-1 before Samuelsson went out with His Injury and 2-6 after. 
Add in the fact that Jokiharju and Lyubuskin were also injured and for some inexplicable reason Granato decided to pair Dahlin-Power together for a few games while the rest of the D Pairs were AHL Level. 

He is due back around Christmas per Lance Lysowski, lets see how He does with normalized D Pairs. 

I don't care and I'm not excusing Adams just because Comrie is injured.  I don't think Comrie is the answer (and if you look at the thread from when the Sabres signed him, I was generous), and so I DO think Adams has been derelict in his duty.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't care and I'm not excusing Adams just because Comrie is injured.  I don't think Comrie is the answer (and if you look at the thread from when the Sabres signed him, I was generous), and so I DO think Adams has been derelict in his duty.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

You really think there wasn't one available for the last several years?  

To be honest, I honestly don't think there's been much in regards goalie choices.

Ullmark was given an equal offer but chose Boston

Husso was traded for a 3rd prior to even reaching UFA, plus it was for the pick 1 choice higher than our 3rd.

Campbell has been a trainwreck

He tried to trade for Matt Murray which was a shot in the dark, that has so far worked for Toronto, but Murray nixed the trade.

Statistically goalies haven't been great this year in general and the number of solid goalies are fewer that 32.

• Disagree 1

36 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Exactly.  It’s not like we didn’t know that the goaltending and 3rd D pair was suspect before the season.  They got off to a good start and then the D injuries occurred  and he did nothing and continues to do nothing to support the defense.  The only thing he did was grab Jost forthe forwards giving us 15 forwards. Why not at least make a similar move to get a D?  It’s very disappointing, especially with the highest scoring team in the NHL.  This franchise owes the Buffalo community and the fans around the world better.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.