Are the Sabres out of the running for the playoffs?

inkman

Are the Sabres out of the playoff race?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Sabres out of the playoff race

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Just asking: is part of the problem simply that well-coached and veteran teams now know how to attack us?  I can see John Tortorella and Lindy Ruff licking their chops when the see how easily our defencive coverage breaks down.

You mentioned well-coached teams and then you mentioned John Tortorella, so which is it?

• Haha (+1) 2

I stayed out of this thread till page 37 out of fear I would jinx them but then I recalled my lack of superstition. After witnessing the latest beatdown by Boston, in person I might add , I’m now convinced they’re toast. I’ve voted no they will not make it. Too many forces beyond a mere fans control seem determined to throw a wrench in the way. Sigh...maybe next year.

Edited by bunomatic

10 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I stayed out of this thread till page 37 out of fear I would jinx them but then I recalled my lack of superstition. After witnessing the latest beatdown by Boston, in person I might add , I’m now convinced they’re toast. I’ve voted no they will not make it. Too many forces beyond a mere fans control seem determined to throw a wrench in the way. Sigh...maybe next year.

You didn’t vote till NOW?

way to go out on a limb, dude..

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/10/2023 at 3:12 PM, Thorny said:

Does anyone know how to do any reconciliation with the overall goal differential and the aptitude of the forwards? I don’t have any answers but the way I continually see this being broken down is clearly flawed, that much I can identify: we are simply equating “goals scored” to forwards, and “goals against” to the defensemen and goalies. Super old-fashioned. I mean, this just isn’t the way the league works. Hockey is a game of flow- 2-way ability for F is just as important as outright offence and they have an effect, certainly, on the goals given up. D the same but inverse. 

That is it say: isn’t our goal differential about mid pack? It would be poor form to just look at “goals scored” for every line and claim them adequate. If I had to guess, the overall goal differential while not a great individual representing mark would be more accurate for an overall evaluation of the group than simply goals one way.

- - - 

I think our F group is really good overall and getting better, but those sorta intimating that it’s “set now” and we just need to tweak on D, maybe a 4th line F or so..

..after our first playoff series we are going to have a little list of stuff and I can guarantee we won’t see the F unit as compete relative to formulating a unit with overall balance and ability. Some (lots, most?) of the improvement will/may even be internal, my point is inclusive of that. I just don’t think the numbers as they are presenting themselves right now, nor the eye test, nor the record, point to the F unit being among the best in the league overall, quite yet. 

If someone smarter has advanced stats charts breaking down the fact our F lines have all been pretty dominant and we are ONLY surrendering lots of goals against because of our D and goaltending, please post them as I could be way off. Just not what I am seeing. 

So here we go, wanted to follow up on this. Our goal differential seemed to go and reconcile itself, as I was alluding to: it now sits 20th league wide while our points % sits 20th, as well. So it’s more less reflective of the overall group’s play, at both ends. With obvious allowances for G being the biggest negative factor, but one factor among several nonetheless 

12 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

IF on Monday:

1)the Sabres beat Montreal

2) Islanders lose to Devils

3) Ottawa beats Florida

Playoff Watch is official back on!

It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!

• Like (+1) 1

Man if they split that eight game losing streak earlier in the season we’d be talking playoff matchups right now. Or maybe win three or four more home games Still wouldn’t be guaranteed but most likely. Funny how something so little as a few games will likely perpetuate this playoff drought. 

Within this link is a 20 min segment with Paul Hamilton on WGR's Jeremy White Show. He talks about the last two games but also about how this team is playing and their mind-set as related to their play. One player he singled out was Quinn and his development. It's a good general discussion of where this team is at and where it is going. It similarly tracks a lot of our discussions about this team and its maddening vicissitudes. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

• Thanks (+1) 1

Paul Hamilton drives me absolutely nuts sometimes. 

He emphatically hammered a take on every wgr show appearance for a week, that the Sabres' season was over after the 8 game losing streak. He said the playoffs were not going to happen because they had too many teams to jump, yaddah yaddah. Once or twice he even said we can't see the team play in games that matter because they are just formalities the rest of the way. He went quiet on this after they played well for a month or two and got back in it, and a few weeks back Jeremy brought it up to him, and he rambled into a subject change to avoid addressing things he said before. 

Today on the ride home, he breaks out a "well i always was saying that they weren't going to make it, too many teams to jump"

No Paul, it doesn't work like that. They had the spot by points percentage more than once, they already jumped all those teams. That take was terrible. The Sabres got back into it. That they shat themselves once again doesn't make you right in November, when you were embarrassingly wrong for how hard you leaned into the point

Edited by Randall Flagg

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Paul Hamilton drives me absolutely nuts sometimes. 

He emphatically hammered a take on every wgr show appearance for a week, that the Sabres' season was over after the 8 game losing streak. He said the playoffs were not going to happen because they had too many teams to jump, yaddah yaddah. Once or twice he even said we can't see the team play in games that matter because they are just formalities the rest of the way. He went quiet on this after they played well for a month or two and got back in it, and a few weeks back Jeremy brought it up to him, and he rambled into a subject change to avoid addressing things he said before. 

Today on the ride home, he breaks out a "well i always was saying that they weren't going to make it, too many teams to jump"

No Paul, it doesn't work like that. They had the spot by points percentage more than once, they already jumped all those teams. That take was terrible. The Sabres got back into it. That they shat themselves once again doesn't make you right in November, when you were embarrassingly wrong for how hard you leaned into the point

Inquiring minds want to know … why are you listening to WGR and Hamilton so much? 

On the flip side, I haven’t heard Hamilton once this past week or maybe it’s two now 😂

I think the trade deadline broke some fans.  I just read a few posters decrying the wins because the Sabres are tanking because they did not get Meier and/or Chychrun, so they are ipso facto tanking.  Thus, we know that because management OK-ed the tank, then the players have quit, so the draft pick is more important than anything else the team will do.  I guess hard work and good play were just dumb luck and that floating through the last 10 games will help the team next year...how?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.