Blizzards of 2022

GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Looks like one is headed for us this weekend.   Piss poor timing Mother Nature.

We're not supposed to get precipitation but they're saying we're gonna go down to about 10 degrees with 20-30 mph winds here in north Texas.  Hoping it's not a repeat of the deep freeze we had a coupla years ago.

5 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

70 mph winds for western New York! Wow! 

That is the thing I am least looking forward to.   70 inches of snow? done that can deal with it.  Below 0 degree temps?  Not fun but can deal with it (I used to work in Boston and traveled to Burlington/Williton Vermont one time and it was almost 30 below).  

But wind that strong? That is the worst thing for me.  Hearing the house make creaking noises with the huge gusts, seeing tree limbs break off the trees, roof tiles becoming loose or flying off the roof, not be able to walk outside even to the store from the parking lot without feeling like you are going to get knocked over or pelted with debris.  And of course the likely power outgages.  I'd take a massive snowfall WITH freezing temps 10 times out of 10 over wind gusts this strong that are forcast to last for close to a full 24 hours.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

But wind that strong? That is the worst thing for me.  Hearing the house make creaking noises with the huge gusts, seeing tree limbs break off the trees, not be able to walk outside even to the store from the parking lot without feeling like you are going to get knocked over or pelted with debris.

I'm just glad Santa has Rudolph.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Lake Erie predicted to be 3’ over flood level at Buffalo due to the wind.

Wow.

This storm has me excited in a way.  I don’t like that some folks will have some serious negative impact from it, but something about these big, where-were-you storms always interests me.

If any of you are weather geeks, NWS Buffalo is a great twitter follow.  And their website is super informative when it comes to modeling and predicting this stuff.  I get into this like Liger gets into the NHL draft.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I'm really not a fan of this.  We live in Northern Niagara county so we aren't supposed to get much lake effect here (storm total forcast for us is 3-6 inches) but the winds are awful. I don't want to lose power with temps this cold, nor see any tree/roof damage that can come from this. Hopefully this isn't as bad as forcast and moves on quickly.

Still, much rather take this on occasion than the 3 hurricanes I had to live through while living in Florida in the past (one where the eye went over my apartment). Nothing much worse than getting through the hurricane and then them not being able to get power back on for us for almost 5 days because where the power lines were down, the area was flooded and they couldn't get the trucks back there.  Not easy to fall asleep in the days after a storm when it is close to 90 degrees, very humid, and you have no electricity/refrigerator/microwave/ air conditioning/even a fan.  I ended up driving about an hour every day to just walk around an air conditioined mall 50 miles away and fill up my tank with gas.

So, Mrs. Dreams said that an SUV was stuck in front of our house about an hour ago.  She then exclaimed that Santa just got out of it.  Every year, the neighbors a couple of houses down hire Santa for their kids.  This guy put on his four-ways and, in this blinding snow, calmly walked down the middle of our street to their house. I hope that he was tipped well.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Ugh, so everything is wet and *then* it's getting frozen?  That's nasty.  Good luck, Buffalo peeps.

Here in Texas it's just the cold... and the fact that our infrastructure isn't built for it.  Frozen pipes are the biggest concern.  I go through last night okay, the coldest night of the front.

This, however, is just frightening, and it's only just starting.  Stay safe, Buffalo peeps!

Peak wind gust of 73mph at the Buffalo airport so far...

30 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Ugh, so everything is wet and *then* it's getting frozen?  That's nasty.  Good luck, Buffalo peeps.

Here in Texas it's just the cold... and the fact that our infrastructure isn't built for it.  Frozen pipes are the biggest concern.  I go through last night okay, the coldest night of the front.

This, however, is just frightening, and it's only just starting.  Stay safe, Buffalo peeps!

Expecting 55+ mph winds through tomorrow night and 2-3+ feet of snow...Buffalo Metro expecting 35"...imagine what the drifts will be like

Edited by matter2003

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.