OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

23 hours ago, Eleven said:

Where?  I have to drive through PA tomorrow and don't want to get hit w/ a storm.

Sorry dude, just saw this now. I was right and we didn't get anything. But parts of the surrounding area of north east Pennsylvania got smacked with up to about 7 inches or so of wet snow. 

And the wind is miserable.

• 3 months later...

Living locally in Erie County, I feel for the rest of the country. Our weather has recently had a little rain after being bone dry from the beginning of May.

I measure weather in how often I can sit outside on my large deck... full of flowers. A running fountain. Music. It's been basically great for weeks and will be part of my daily routine until early October. I wouldn't trade our May-October weather with anyone, after watching all the extreme weather hitting the rest of the country. 

A part of the continent well-known for its rain is now at level 5 drought, the worst notch on the scale.

The northern end of British Columbia is on fire and officials say my Vancouver Island home is tinder dry and could go up at any time.

On the bright side, the weather has been absolutely glorious around here for more than 2 months.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

Living locally in Erie County, I feel for the rest of the country. Our weather has recently had a little rain after being bone dry from the beginning of May.

I measure weather in how often I can sit outside on my large deck... full of flowers. A running fountain. Music. It's been basically great for weeks and will be part of my daily routine until early October. I wouldn't trade our May-October weather with anyone, after watching all the extreme weather hitting the rest of the country. 

I left Buffalo in 1981 and never moved back because of my career - but I always visit often and every year, and I have spent a lot more time there over the last 20 years.  

Now retired, I summer in Buffalo.  I stay there from late May to mid August.  I go back several more times in the fall for Football and Hockey and to visit family and friends.   

May thru October is mostly great weather.  Like you said, you can be outside a lot of the time. 

November thru April are not good at all - rain, snow, cold, grey, frozen, windy blizzards, more rain, more cold, more grey, and a very late spring that is mostly cold and wet.  Some people like that - my wife calls it staying in to nest - I call it depressing.  Sure, there is beauty and fun associated with winter - I used to love ice skating, skiing, etc. as a kid - but you do that without the grey and the storms and the mountains of snow.  

I give Buffalo ~6 months of comfortable good weather and ~6 months of bad weather.  

Overall I think Buffalo is a great city, it is unique and has a history and culture that should be celebrated.  The city itself is far better now than it was when I grew up there in the 60's and 70's, and it was pretty dam good back then too.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I give Buffalo ~6 months of comfortable good weather and ~6 months of bad weather.  

But really, except for Hawaii, L.A., and maybe Florida, this is probably true for a lot of the country.  Our spring and fall can be very pleasant here, interrupted by a hellish summer with crappy weather in the winter.

I say "maybe Florida" because if you don't like humidity Florida will be miserable most of the time.

39 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

But really, except for Hawaii, L.A., and maybe Florida, this is probably true for a lot of the country.  Our spring and fall can be very pleasant here, interrupted by a hellish summer with crappy weather in the winter.

I say "maybe Florida" because if you don't like humidity Florida will be miserable most of the time.

The weather in Denver is actually pretty good all year round except for frequent hail storms coming down the size of golfballs, 18 inches of heavy snow one day after it being 85 degrees in May, flash flooding, and massive forest/brush fires near major housing areas. But other than those things, it's awesome. 

I like winter because I still like to skate. Can't play hockey anymore being in my mid-60's but I never hated the winters like others. Parents had a condo near Ft.Lauderdale for 20+ years in my younger days, so I enjoyed many warm vacations for the price of a plane ticket.

Had a great job here until I retired but my wife is several years younger and still teaches. So maybe I'll rent in Florida down the road but it isn't a must. It's still about the lifestyle and keeping busy. All good. 

Edited by Night Train

5 hours ago, Night Train said:

Absolutely.

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I left Buffalo in 1981 and never moved back because of my career - but I always visit often and every year, and I have spent a lot more time there over the last 20 years.  

Now retired, I summer in Buffalo.  I stay there from late May to mid August.  I go back several more times in the fall for Football and Hockey and to visit family and friends.   

May thru October is mostly great weather.  Like you said, you can be outside a lot of the time. 

November thru April are not good at all - rain, snow, cold, grey, frozen, windy blizzards, more rain, more cold, more grey, and a very late spring that is mostly cold and wet.  Some people like that - my wife calls it staying in to nest - I call it depressing.  Sure, there is beauty and fun associated with winter - I used to love ice skating, skiing, etc. as a kid - but you do that without the grey and the storms and the mountains of snow.  

Overall I think Buffalo is a great city, it is unique and has a history and culture that should be celebrated.  The city itself is far better now than it was when I grew up there in the 60's and 70's, and it was pretty dam good back then too.  

Actually, I like that, too. I guess I like WNY weather all year long.

Does anyone else have those lightening alarms near their house? I find them absolutely incredible. You won’t even see any flashes, it will go off, and 3-7 seconds later there will be a thunder clap. Pretty awesome.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

One of the major developers in the MD/DC/VA area, Douglas Jemal, identified Buffalo and western NY as a marvelous place to invest and work in. He's often stated that Buffalo with its rich history and architecture were enticing inducements for him to take advantage of. The Seneca One project and the Statler Hilton are two of the many projects he has gotten involved in. 

Just as with the hockey team, outsiders are taking notice of the turnaround that has been going on. The outside perception of the area has dramatically changed to the positive. 

• Like (+1) 1

The summers are so much hotter than we used to get. I remember 80 degrees was a heat wave and we got snow often starting in October, the ski slopes opened by Thanksgiving. 

Now it's routinely upper 80s for days on end. Don't get me wrong, it's great. But I'm built for the fall and winter months and now that I learned to ski, this global warming (or heat cycle, whatever you believe) is annoying. 😂

29 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The summers are so much hotter than we used to get. I remember 80 degrees was a heat wave and we got snow often starting in October, the ski slopes opened by Thanksgiving. 

Now it's routinely upper 80s for days on end. Don't get me wrong, it's great. But I'm built for the fall and winter months and now that I learned to ski, this global warming (or heat cycle, whatever you believe) is annoying. 😂

Definitely not a heat cycle...the earth just broke all time temperature records 3 straight days and apparently it was the hottest it's been in at least 100,000 years.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

WOW!!!!

Nope. Give me Buffalo winters any day. Even ones that give us once in a lifetime blizzards.

It read 118 but that's typical when you park in sunny, paved spot... the actual temperature once I started moving went down to 106.  Still damned hot but not 118 hot.  I typically drive with my windows down, even when it's hot like this.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

outsiders are taking notice of the turnaround that has been going on. The outside perception of the area has dramatically changed to the positive.

This is true.  I post to a local Fort Worth architecture forum and there's a long-running thread about Buffalo.  Most of the content is posted by me, but the comments from the others are on the whole very positive.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

This is true.  I post to a local Fort Worth architecture forum and there's a long-running thread about Buffalo.  Most of the content is posted by me, but the comments from the others are on the whole very positive.

A lot of cities tore down their vacant buildings that were architecturally gems for the sake of urban renewal. Western NY also did that but not to such an extent. Without a doubt it's easier to tear down a vacant building than restore it. The old buildings are a challenge to restore and modernize. You have to know what you are doing and understand the complexities involved in revitalizing those historical buildings. Douglas Jemal and his company have that special expertise for such a challenging endeavor. He's stated on many occasions that it is his passion to bring back to life those historical buildings. 

Douglas Jemal is not originally from the area. However, he is one of the most active developers in the region. The projects he starts get finished. Not always as fast as people would like but they move forward and get done. To his credit, because of his sterling reputation and record, the city planning board usually goes along with his project proposals because he follows through on what he says he is going to do. 

21 hours ago, Doohickie said:

That's Air Conditioning season here in Texas.

(currently at 101)

The American Southwest is going to be on the very limit of being habitable by humans in the summer within 50 years of things continue as they are.

This year it's almost alarming at the type of heat records that have started early in the year and have continued unabated. So many regions/countries have set all time heat records going back to Asia(India, Pakistan, Thailand, Vietnam) in March/April and continuing now with the American Southwest, Florida, China and Europe...

Even for the models that have bands that would be considered "normal" due to climate change for temps to be within now, they have gone so far above them even climate change experts are alarmed since this shouldn't be happening.

Sadly this is becoming the norm now rather than the exception. 

Edited by matter2003

• spndnchz changed the title to OT: Weather (just weather)