OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

51 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Made it trough Lee.

Call it whatever you want you damn scientists .. IT WAS A DAMN HURRICANE!!

Glad to hear you’re OK.

Working to restore power in Maine, lots of trees down, full foliage, saturated soil and high winds are a recipe for outages.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

It's a beautiful 68 degrees in Gatineau, just north of Ottawa. Hanging out at the Nordik Spa, having a cocktail and soaking in the warm pools. 

I heard the farmers almanac called for a cold, wet and snowy winter for us. Fingers crossed for November skiing! 

Birthplace of Danny Briere! Danny Briere!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Woody is a very handsome guy, but even he cannot pull off a bikini 

A stud is a stud no matter what others think. 😄

Rumor has it that @Wyldnwoody44was a pin up model for a 2024 calendar showcasing nude doctors. It is called Doctors without borders and underwear. Check out the month of October. As the saying goes: If you got it----then flaunt it. 

Edited by JohnC

53 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Woody is a very handsome guy, but even he cannot pull off a bikini 

I'm so white, it'll just be like wearing camoflauge out there 😜

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

A stud is a stud no matter what others think. 😄

Rumor has it that @Wyldnwoody44was a pin up model for a 2024 calendar showcasing nude doctors. It is called Doctors without borders and underwear. Check out the month of October. As the saying goes: If you got it----then flaunt it. 

The leaves do come off in the fall.... 

• Haha (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

Woody doesn't pull off bikinis. He tears them off with his teeth.

As for the weather in NWPA and WNY (I assume) this weekend, the late Tom Jolls said it all. Salubrious.

It seems peak colors have come a little early this year. We are approaching it quickly along the border. ASP beckons. I'll peep some leaves for Swampy and other exiles the next couple of days. They are so vivid. Second year in a row after some disappointing displays in recent years. September's seasonably warm days and very chilly nights, I thank you.

• Like (+1) 2

weather in WNY has been pretty stellar the last week with temps in the mid 70s then upper 70s and then 85 yesterday and today.

The bad news is Lake Erie water temperature is at an all-time record for this time of year at 70 degrees and is the first time it's ever been recorded at 70 or higher in October.

A very strong El Nino is supposed to help save us from a lot of snow due to unseasonable warmth during the winter, but if we get a cold spell in mid November lake snows could be brutal again...

Edited by matter2003

On 9/30/2023 at 11:41 AM, PASabreFan said:

September's seasonably warm days and very chilly nights, I thank you.

I had the sense that September was weirdly warm. It prompted me to conclude that the leaves turn not so much because of temperature drops, but more because of changes in the amount of daylight. Idk.

27 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The bad news is Lake Erie water temperature is at an all-time record for this time of year at 70 degrees and is the first time it's ever been recorded at 70 or higher in October.

A very strong El Nino is supposed to help save us from a lot of snow due to unseasonable warmth during the winter, but if we get a cold spell in mid November lake snows could be brutal again...

Yep. The El Nino should keep us mostly mild ... but all it takes is a little weeble wobble of the Polar Vortex and WHAM! several feet of snow somewhere east of Lake Erie.

41 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I had the sense that September was weirdly warm. It prompted me to conclude that the leaves turn not so much because of temperature drops, but more because of changes in the amount of daylight. Idk.

Yep. The El Nino should keep us mostly mild ... but all it takes is a little weeble wobble of the Polar Vortex and WHAM! several feet of snow somewhere east of Lake Erie.

Very early September was sultry. Then it turned cooler for the rest of the month.

If it was solely the amount of light, the leaves would turn at the same time and with the same intensity every year, innit?

Weather in the Buffalo area has been great since May, IMO.

As a retiree, I measure how much time I can spend outside. I was always out doing things, due to clear weather most of the time. When I see what the rest of the country endures, I'm fine. Winters only bother me when we get the big storms..but only for a day or 2. I take winter vacations to warm spots to break up the pattern. 

2 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Weather in the Buffalo area has been great since May, IMO.

As a retiree, I measure how much time I can spend outside. I was always out doing things, due to clear weather most of the time. When I see what the rest of the country endures, I'm fine. Winters only bother me when we get the big storms..but only for a day or 2. I take winter vacations to warm spots to break up the pattern. 

Uh...were you here in August when we had multiple days where it never reached 70?  Honestly September and October so far were much better.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I need to get out and look around, see if there's any damage.  I expect there will be some trees down in the neighborhood.

I was out this morning. Our weather station said we got 1.5" of rain and the top gust was 34mph with top sustained winds of 26mph. We had it comparatively easy to the rest of the metroplex. Only damage was a broken hanging basket.

51 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Very early September was sultry. Then it turned cooler for the rest of the month.

If it was solely the amount of light, the leaves would turn at the same time and with the same intensity every year, innit?

I'm not saying solely. But the change in sunlight appears to be a stronger influence than temperature. And there are other factors too -- not the least of which, I'm guessing (and not Googling!), are things like how wet the spring was, how dry the summer was, what condition the supporting soil was in, etc.

32 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm not saying solely. But the change in sunlight appears to be a stronger influence than temperature. And there are other factors too -- not the least of which, I'm guessing (and not Googling!), are things like how wet the spring was, how dry the summer was, what condition the supporting soil was in, etc.

We had no rain here for weeks, the leaves were drying on the branches and falling all scrunched up. Rain today is bringing down a lot of them.