OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

It. Not gonna happen where I’m at. 6 inches is nothing 

Jim Carrey Ok GIF

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I have a house on top of a hill with a lot of lawn... I'm less worried about the power and more worried about losing shingles or similar items lol 

I thought you were quoting John Cougar Mellencamp for a sec.   

• Haha (+1) 1

Yet another Nor'Easter here today.  Thanks Baastan and NYC.

We are right on the Atlantic (literally) and right here it is hovering right around freezing.  Mixed precipiation now and ice pellets soon.  Switching over to heavy rain as temp rises a bit.  The wind is going to be the biggest issue - gusts to 100km (65mph).

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, sabresouth said:

Live in SW Arkansas. Flying out of Little Rock with a connection in Atlanta to Buffalo. 

Oh okay, lol. Hope you find a good way. If you were up in the Northeast (depending on where again), I was gonna suggest some alternatives

7 hours ago, spndnchz said:

It. Not gonna happen where I’m at. 6 inches is nothing 

The expected snow total for Buffalo has climbed to 31.0".

Likely you are north of the city?

Here is a link to the only place that matters during localized events like Lake Effect Snow for anyone interested.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/Winter

3 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Yet another Nor'Easter here today.  Thanks Baastan and NYC.

We are right on the Atlantic (literally) and right here it is hovering right around freezing.  Mixed precipiation now and ice pellets soon.  Switching over to heavy rain as temp rises a bit.  The wind is going to be the biggest issue - gusts to 100km (65mph).

Here's one for ya.

StormTotalSnowWeb.jpg

Edited by Big Guava
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

image.thumb.png.b7d4d99b09be5122956be656fecf4b33.png

It was chilly for my Saturday breakfast ride this morning, got up to the mid-60s, but it's already dropped ten degrees and we'll be down in the teens overnight, and for the next few nights.

During the Sabres game this afternoon the temperature dropped from 63 to 39°F.

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

image.thumb.png.b7d4d99b09be5122956be656fecf4b33.png

It was chilly for my Saturday breakfast ride this morning, got up to the mid-60s, but it's already dropped ten degrees and we'll be down in the teens overnight, and for the next few nights.

How do you think your grid will do? Do you have a genny just in case? Stay well. 

Edited by #freejame
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Guava said:

The expected snow total for Buffalo has climbed to 31.0".

Likely you are north of the city?

Here is a link to the only place that matters during localized events like Lake Effect Snow for anyone interested.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/Winter

Here's one for ya.

StormTotalSnowWeb.jpg

I grew up in the Depew/Lancaster area....most family lives near there (Depew, Lancaster, Cheektowaga, W. Seneca).  When we moved back to the area we decided to buy a house up near Lewiston/Youngstown just north of Niagara Falls.

Lots of pluses and minues of anywhere you live, but as of now we only have a dusting of snow and it was mostly cloudy today but the sun peaked out a bit earlier.  A small part of me misses being part of the heavier snow..but every time we get behind the wheel of a car...not so much.

Vancouver Island. Nanaimo, -15 with about 1 inch of snow. Not complaining at least theres no shovelling. Last March 12th I was in Buffalo for the Bruins game. Damn that wind coming off the lake cut to the bone. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I grew up in the Depew/Lancaster area....most family lives near there (Depew, Lancaster, Cheektowaga, W. Seneca).  When we moved back to the area we decided to buy a house up near Lewiston/Youngstown just north of Niagara Falls.

Lots of pluses and minues of anywhere you live, but as of now we only have a dusting of snow and it was mostly cloudy today but the sun peaked out a bit earlier.  A small part of me misses being part of the heavier snow..but every time we get behind the wheel of a car...not so much.

Nice...I'm in that Depew/Lancaster area also...

Yeah, you get to avoid a lot of snow headaches up that way, kinda jealous I must say...

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

How do you think your grid will do? Do you have a genny just in case? Stay well. 

We'll see how the grid does.  I don't think this one is catching anyone by surprise.  So far, so good. 

https://www.ercot.com/gridmktinfo/dashboards

The biggest concern is freezing pipes; my house sits on an unheated crawl space.  We did okay in the Big Freeze.  The secret is keep the water moving in the pipes:  Drip the faucets, run the dishwasher and washing machine at night.  Worked last time.

It's down to 27°F; the predicted low overnight is 15°F.  These homes just aren't built for that, especially the plumbing.

Tomorrow will probably be the worst day of the cold snap- freezing rain and ice.

There's a big difference between snow and ice.  North Texas probably gets more ice than snow.  Several years ago we had 4" of ice on the road  Travel was ridiculous.

13 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Vancouver Island. Nanaimo, -15 with about 1 inch of snow. Not complaining at least theres no shovelling. Last March 12th I was in Buffalo for the Bruins game. Damn that wind coming off the lake cut to the bone. 

The tropical island of Vancouver is not so tropical these last few years.  I have friends out there that grew tropical plants outside year round some years ago.  Not so much now.

14 hours ago, rickshaw said:

-23c (-6 F) today in Kelowna. Cold snap for about a week. With the wind it’s more like -33c

I'll take my Texas "cold" snap, thanks.

4 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The tropical island of Vancouver is not so tropical these last few years.  I have friends out there that grew tropical plants outside year round some years ago.  Not so much now.

Same in Texas.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Climate change is real.

Here in Kelowna we had catastrophic fires this summer and we’re still in drought conditions this winter. We have had only a few cm of snowsonfar and this our first cold snap. We are in serious trouble this summer as they’re predicting this pattern goes on for a year or two. BC is gonna burn and we will be the Smokanagan most likely. 

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Climate change is real.

Here in Kelowna we had catastrophic fires this summer and we’re still in drought conditions this winter. We have had only a few cm of snowsonfar and this our first cold snap. We are in serious trouble this summer as they’re predicting this pattern goes on for a year or two. BC is gonna burn and we will be the Smokanagan most likely. 

Interesting view. While I do agree humans have pumped up the insulating factor of the atmosphere, there are many factors that play in to global weather, starting with the Milankovitch Cycle. Then there is the what is called in some circles the 3 EAE's, which refers to the Thailand, Chile and Japan earthquakes all on the Pacific Plates that have changed a few things, Pacific Ocean Currents, Shape of the planet by 3 degrees creating the harshest wobble affect recorded to date and the increased rate of seduction, especially following the Japan earthquake. Fascinating stuff to be sure.

14 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Interesting view. While I do agree humans have pumped up the insulating factor of the atmosphere, there are many factors that play in to global weather, starting with the Milankovitch Cycle. Then there is the what is called in some circles the 3 EAE's, which refers to the Thailand, Chile and Japan earthquakes all on the Pacific Plates that have changed a few things, Pacific Ocean Currents, Shape of the planet by 3 degrees creating the harshest wobble affect recorded to date and the increased rate of seduction, especially following the Japan earthquake. Fascinating stuff to be sure.

Nope.  It's the man-made CO2.

graph2_0.thumb.png.a928fdc429dedb7d12f3a1d34965f61e.png

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

CO2 in the atmosphere is at 0.04%. Humans contribute somewhere in the vicinity about 1-3% of that. I’m not denying climate change. The climate has changed always over the course of this planet. With and without human activity. What I do know about climate change is that its a wonderful opportunity for a small percentage of humans and most gov’ts to capitalize on and make boatloads of money. All they need is for humans to buy in. This is where the disinformation and fear plays a big role. We can all do better personally to make the planet a better place. Hoping for honesty out of politicians and scientists who’s money dries up if they don’t tow the line and sow the fear is a fools game. Just my two cents. 

Edited by bunomatic
  • Agree 2