OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Weather over here is "taps aff".

taps-aff-header.png

But if it cools down we have to go "taps oan"

I love the Scots.

They speak my language, which is vaguely similar to English.  It's much closer to Newfoundlandish.

We have a rich Scots history here in Nova Scotia, which is Latin for New Scotland (bet you knew that) ... so much so that we have a very nice town named after your town ... bet you would never guess it's called New Glasgow.  And I bet the taps are aff there today.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

All-time Canadian high reported in Lytton BC. Of 46.7 C (that’s 116 F). Broke a record from 1937.

About 8 or 10 degrees cooler here, but definitely the hottest 4-5 day run we’ve had here in my lifetime. Supposed to start letting up here tomorrow, but it’s heading @Thorny’s way.

They suspect it to reach 50+ there today.

The coast of BC, like the coast of NS, never see that hotness.  So far, we are spared, but just a few kms inland and it's game over.

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The coast of BC, like the coast of NS, never see that hotness.  So far, we are spared, but just a few kms inland and it's game over.

One more thing that might put things in to perspective. 
The previous records for this week on Vancouver Island are in the low 30s. This is 6 or 7 degrees hotter.

The average temperature for this time of year is 22! It’s unheard of, and a little scary.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

The previous records for this week are in the low 30s. This is 6 or 7 degrees hotter.

The average temperature for this time of year is 22! It’s unheard of, and a little scary.

Celsius in science is cool. Celsius for air temperature discussion sucks balls.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The previous records for this week on Vancouver Island are in the low 30s. This is 6 or 7 degrees hotter.

The closest weather station to me is in Terrance Bay, or Shad Bay ...

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/nova-scotia/terence-bay

Both are saying it's 27 and feels like 35.

There is no possible way that is the temperature and 'feels like' temperature on my back deck (about 25 yards from my wharf), or my wharf (which is about 2 feet from the wind swept and cold Atlantic waters).  It is actually quite chilly here in the wind.

A few kms away from the coast and it is probably 30+.  In the city of Halifax today it's 35+ and in Bedford (where we used to live) it is 37+.

Just checked and in Bedford it is 33 and 41 right now.

You guys (BC interior) now hold the hottest temperature ever recorded in Canada.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)

3 minutes ago, ubkev said:

All these post with yer goddamn commie metric system!

It's just too simple for yous guys ... everyting in Metric is based on 10s.  Same with temperature ... 

0 is freezing, so 10 is cool ... 20 is nice and ... 30 is hot.

Works the same backwards ... 

0 is freezing ... -10 is bloody cold ... -20 is i'm freezing by ass off ... -30 is Winnipeg ... am I right @Thorny ... @Ducky

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, SDS said:

Celsius in science is cool. Celsius for air temperature discussion sucks balls.

One more thing that might put things in to perspective. 
The previous record highs for this week in most Vancouver Island communities  are all about 90 F. Yesterday a town about an hour from me hit 105 F, which may have been the highest temperature ever recorded on Vancouver Island.

The typical temperature for this time of year is about 70 F. What we are seeing right now unheard of, and a little scary.

Does that help (you Neanderthals 😜)?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

All these post with yer goddamn commie metric system!

Dude, the whole world is metric except for you guys down south. zero freezes, 100 boils and yet for some odd reason you lot think 32 and what is it if I remember 212 ? That makes more sense to you???

5 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

They probably will, it's 42 here in Abbotsford (the valley just inland from Vancouver for those that don't know) right now. Supposed to hit 44 or 45. Lytton  and around there is always hotter and drier. Wildfires are starting . It's a hellscape. Never lived in this sort of temperature in all my 60 plus years. When I was a kid these were considered Death Valley temperatures. 

They grow a lot of berries here in the valley. They say the Raspberries (which should be right in season now) are literally baking on the plant and are all ruined. It's crazy. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

More than a little scary. The wildfires have gotten prolonged, enormous, and are health hazards every summer lately. Mt. Shasta (14,000' = 4200m) barely has any glaciers left and by the end of a summer is a skeleton ribbed with snow pockets. In the 20 years I've lived here, Mt. Rainier (4392m, I looked it up!) has looked more and more sparse each fall. Anecdotally -- because I don't ski -- west coast skiing season used to start at Thanksgiving, now it's generally near New Year's. Others would be able to more accurately discuss that.

30 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Dude, the whole world is metric except for you guys down south. zero freezes, 100 boils and yet for some odd reason you lot think 32 and what is it if I remember 212 ? That makes more sense to you???

They grow a lot of berries here in the valley. They say the Raspberries (which should be right in season now) are literally baking on the plant and are all ruined. It's crazy. 

The US tried to convert to metric decades ago, but failed. We lack fortitude.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

They probably will, it's 42 here in Abbotsford (the valley just inland from Vancouver for those that don't know) right now. Supposed to hit 44 or 45. Lytton  and around there is always hotter and drier. Wildfires are starting . It's a hellscape. Never lived in this sort of temperature in all my 60 plus years. When I was a kid these were considered Death Valley temperatures. 

We just hit 40.4, which is .2 off the highest temperature ever recorded here. Usually peaks about now, so we’ve got a shot at the 6 p.m. measurement.

I’m scared to look at my raspberries.

It's about 88 right now as I'm relaxing on the patio. We're probably looking at 98 tomorrow with about a million% humidity. Should be a good morning for a bike ride, then I'll call it a day. Pretty soon the northeast is going to be the only habitable part of this country. So much for my retirement in Tahoe.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I was in Albuquerque 2 weeks ago, from the top of the Tram at 10,500ft, you could see the haze and fog from the wildfires outside of Tucson, that's insane... I think something like 160,000 acres burning 

It was nine months ago we were suffocating for a week under the California wildfire smoke from thousands of miles away. The high pressure ridge is expected to start to collapse overnight and that could bring lightning as that progresses east over the next few days.

My raspberries are roasted. Sunblasted fruit, crispy dry leaves and stalks. The thornless blackberries right beside them look healthy, and a month ahead of schedule 

Edited by dudacek

Yup, we set records all over the province yesterday. I think there were like 60 towns or cities with new record highs. It's even hot way up north in Prince George.

For you Americans, it was 95 inside my main floor by the thermostat. Hotter outside. There was a candle holder on the dining room table and the candle literally started to melt and fell over. I'm basically living in the basement where it's tolerable. The upstairs is a hellscape. 

Slightly cooler today. More normal super hot summer weather. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yup, we set records all over the province yesterday. I think there were like 60 towns or cities with new record highs. It's even hot way up north in Prince George.

For you Americans, it was 95 inside my main floor by the thermostat. Hotter outside. There was a candle holder on the dining room table and the candle literally started to melt and fell over. I'm basically living in the basement where it's tolerable. The upstairs is a hellscape. 

Slightly cooler today. More normal super hot summer weather. 

Maybe you and @Doohickie can swap residences for a couple of days.  He seems to be missing his typical summer.  😉

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/28/2021 at 3:37 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

It's just too simple for yous guys ... everyting in Metric is based on 10s.  Same with temperature ... 

0 is freezing, so 10 is cool ... 20 is nice and ... 30 is hot.

Works the same backwards ... 

0 is freezing ... -10 is bloody cold ... -20 is i'm freezing by ass off ... -30 is Winnipeg ... am I right @Thorny ... @Ducky

It is much easier but I am old enough to remember the standard system. If you want to convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit all you have to do is multiply it by two, take off 10% and add 32.

30C

30 X 2 = 60

60-6=54

54 + 32 = 87

30C = 87F

It is the humidity in Manitoba that kills you.

• Thanks (+1) 1