OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Indeed, they've evacuated the whole town and there are several wildfires all around that area. Even bigger one at Sparks Lake near Kamloops. It looks like it will be a very bad summer for the interior. 

This is terrible. And it's still so early in the summer.

22 hours ago, Taro T said:

Thing is with that archaic system, when doing conversions & calculations (especially in engineering) you don't end up with answers that are off 1 or 2 orders of magnitude when not noticing that things were in centimeters when you were expecting either millimeters or meters.

Will stick with the archaic system.  😉

Did you ever know that the Space Shuttle cargo bay was a cylinder exactly 180 inches (15 feet) around, but that the mounting points were every 3.93 inches (occasionally 3.94) apart?  That's right.  The diameter was English system, the length was Metric (10 cm spacing).

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 6/30/2021 at 4:55 PM, DarthEbriate said:

Hmmm....  Yes. I think I'd have to also question our currency being metric because it appears to based on a decimal system with the primary dollar unit on a scale of 100 instead of 10s.

Now, with a cent (centimeter) it makes perfect sense (ha! homonyms!) because century/100 and all that. But formally, we'd be calling those centidollars. And dimes should be decidollars. And instead of dropping Hamiltons we'd be dropping decadollars.

Kilodollars for 1,000s. All of our veteran players would be signing seven-figure megadollar contracts instead of million dollar contracts.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:01 AM, DarthEbriate said:

It can't always be about the almighty dollar. I figure we're good with metric for any of the various units: liters/litres, grams, dollars.

Had to revisit this cuz something just didn't sit right with me and it just hit me. Just because something uses base-10 doesn't make it metric. It's just base ten.

The metric system is the metric system because everything is based on the meter (or metre.)

A gram is the weight of the amount of water that fits in a cubic centimeter.
A liter is the volume in a cubic decimeter.

Money doesn't have anything to do with the meter. It's just using a base-10 system.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/3/2021 at 12:24 PM, SwampD said:

Had to revisit this cuz something just didn't sit right with me and it just hit me. Just because something uses base-10 doesn't make it metric. It's just base ten.

The metric system is the metric system because everything is based on the meter (or metre.)

A gram is the weight of the amount of water that fits in a cubic centimeter.
A liter is the volume in a cubic decimeter.

Money doesn't have anything to do with the meter. It's just using a base-10 system.

So... you're saying... all we have to do is make every penny's mass equal to a gram, and every thousand dollar-bill a kilogram... and it'll work. We'll use water for dollar currency!  🍺😇.   Metric Dollars!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Albany visiting my wife's family this weekend.  Her niece had her graduation party Saturday and a friend of the family couldn't come because they had flooding on Thursday after 4 inches of rain fell in 2 hours, and with the rain on Saturday too they decided to sandbag their house to prevent further flooding.  Crazy.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I was in Albany visiting my wife's family this weekend.  Her niece had her graduation party Saturday and a friend of the family couldn't come because they had flooding on Thursday after 4 inches of rain fell in 2 hours, and with the rain on Saturday too they decided to sandbag their house to prevent further flooding.  Crazy.

This has been the worst summer I can recall. I was driving back from Buffalo on the Mass Pike got caught in a storm cell that was following the road. Absolute monsoon.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This has been the worst summer I can recall. I was driving back from Buffalo on the Mass Pike got caught in a storm cell that was following the road. Absolute monsoon.

Oh that happened last Sunday all the way from central Ohio to Buffalo.  Rain the whole time.

I think this is one of maybe 3 days I've been alive where my town's Air Quality Index isn't completely in the green. Wildfire smoke is no joke. The entire commonwealth is in a haze from the fires happening 3000 miles away.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I think this is one of maybe 3 days I've been alive where my town's Air Quality Index isn't completely in the green. Wildfire smoke is no joke. The entire commonwealth is in a haze from the fires happening 3000 miles away.

We've had some bad weeks over the past few summers for the same reasons. Talk about learning not to take fresh air for granted.

Hate it.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I hadn't noticed the smoke much yesterday and even this morning when I was outside at UB. But it seems to have gotten quite a bit worse as the day has gone on. It's downright bad outside right now.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I hadn't noticed the smoke much yesterday and even this morning when I was outside at UB. But it seems to have gotten quite a bit worse as the day has gone on. It's downright bad outside right now.

The sun was completely hidden today behind the haze. It's supposed to clear tomorrow, hopefully. Working out outside is one of my great summer joys.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...