OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

Winnipeg's 5 day forecast with with and without humidity...

33 35 35 32 23 27 31 

7 39 41 37 23 29 24

Multiply by 1.8 and add 32 for F.

37 is 98.6 or body temperature.

edit ... too hot! 21-24 is perfect.

Edited by Ducky

Leaving 86 degree PA tomorrow for 1 million degrees Florida. Florida in August. I must be some kinda genius! Oh well, I'll be surfing. I hope it's hot and sunny every damn day. Doesn't look like we're going to get hit with a hurricane either. So I got that going for me.

On 8/9/2018 at 5:42 PM, ubkev said:

Leaving 86 degree PA tomorrow for 1 million degrees Florida. Florida in August. I must be some kinda genius! Oh well, I'll be surfing. I hope it's hot and sunny every damn day. Doesn't look like we're going to get hit with a hurricane either. So I got that going for me.

Remember in the other thread you mentioned the weather and me being in Africa..... Well I flew to Utah to hike after and it's broken 110 degrees here every single day, makes Africa seem comfortable. Thank god it's a drier heat than I'm used to, I'm pretty sure I'm getting heat stroke before I'm home. 

I also went rogue in the canyon water I did find and smashed my face on some rocks and am 73 percent sure I broke my nose. 

Not sure If this was mentioned (maybe even by me) but it's kinda crazy (and cool) that many of the parks and schoolyards around here have lightening detectors. During a storm they're obviously not so useful, but on a sunny day with a storm approaching, they kinda tell you when it's time to go in. I'm listening to them go off around me right now.

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Not sure If this was mentioned (maybe even by me) but it's kinda crazy (and cool) that many of the parks and schoolyards around here have lightening detectors. During a storm they're obviously not so useful, but on a sunny day with a storm approaching, they kinda tell you when it's time to go in. I'm listening to them go off around me right now.

I remember building our own lightning detectors in third grade.  The science teacher had us take the rubber grip off of a putter and then go stand outside holding the putter in the air.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I remember building our own lightning detectors in third grade.  The science teacher had us take the rubber grip off of a putter and then go stand outside holding the putter in the air.

We need more teachers like that.

On 8/9/2018 at 7:42 PM, ubkev said:

Where in Florida? I talk to my dad on a daily basis, a couple of weeks ago his pool was in the 90's. At night it rarely gets below mid 80's there. The cold water out of the tap is 84°. 

Here, it's 62° We still have yet to break 90°. ?

11 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Where in Florida? I talk to my dad on a daily basis, a couple of weeks ago his pool was in the 90's. At night it rarely gets below mid 80's there. The cold water out of the tap is 84°. 

Here, it's 62° We still have yet to break 90°. ?

I'm currently in Lady Lake. The pool was 88 this morning and the cold water tap is freaking gross! I'll be at New Smyrna Beach Tuesday and Wednesday and Daytona Beach on Thursday and Friday. I been cruising around on a golf cart for the past day and a half. 

6 hours ago, ubkev said:

I'm currently in Lady Lake. The pool was 88 this morning and the cold water tap is freaking gross! I'll be at New Smyrna Beach Tuesday and Wednesday and Daytona Beach on Thursday and Friday. I been cruising around on a golf cart for the past day and a half. 

The heat isn't the killer in South Florida. In fact, it has never gotten over 100° in West Palm Beach, Miami and Fort Lauderdale in recorded history. (Go a few miles inland and it might be a different story) It's the humidity, the fact it still stays in the 80's at night for nine months out of the year, and the fact it rarely gets below 60 in the winter. 

• 4 weeks later...

See now, this is a classic one, though perhaps a bit on the subtle side. Word from the 1% clearly got to the NWS. The weather has been so crummy around here, workers are getting a little depressed and are producing at only 98.5% of previous efficiency. Northern PA is surprisingly important to the national economy. Tree-felling and oil/gas-drilling and cotton-stuffing in lighters and such. So it's buck-up-the-workforce time. Sun! Yes, that's it! A promise of sun! On the weekend, of course. Everybody's workin' for that weekend. This should be a fun one to watch.

weather.png

• 2 weeks later...

So we had 2-8 inches of rain (depending on where you were) last night, making this the wettest September on record in North Texas.  Lots of flash flooding.  North Texas is relatively flat, so when it rains hard the rain just pools where it falls and takes a while to drain off into a creek (which is usually a dry ditch).... and then the creek overflows.  So far one confirmed drowning a couple of people missing.  I'm thankful the house we bought this spring is on high ground.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, Doohickie said:

So we had 2-8 inches of rain (depending on where you were) last night, making this the wettest September on record in North Texas.  Lots of flash flooding.  North Texas is relatively flat, so when it rains hard the rain just pools where it falls and takes a while to drain off into a creek (which is usually a dry ditch).... and then the creek overflows.  So far one confirmed drowning a couple of people missing.  I'm thankful the house we bought this spring is on high ground.

We got several feet of rain in a 3 day span due to Florence. On the news they basically said we received what we typically receive in 6 months over the equivalent of a long weekend. That storm wasn't very strong when it comes to wind but it was huge (YUUUUUUUGE, over 400 miles in diameter) and it was moving like 3 miles an hour at one point.

On 9/22/2018 at 3:29 PM, Doohickie said:

The Philly area has now gone past its normal *annual* rainfall totals, with 3 full (and usually wet) months left.

We went from heat warnings to frost warnings in a matter of just a few days.

We are in a draught for 2 years running now with wells running dry, but yesterday, today and tomorrow are very rainy.

I think this Gritty thing in Philly is one of the 7 signs.

Edited by N S
can't type very goodly ...