Sabres Announce a 7 Year 30 Million Contract Extension for Mattias Samuelsson

Brawndo

21 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Comes from this post a long time ago.  I don't think he actually said anything, but some on here were despairing that he may have. I think this was in the midst of a Sabres low point:

Thanks for that.

2 interesting (IMHO at least) things from that thread.

1.  The guy that was saying Kjell would have Mattias leaving ASAP seems to have deleted all his (or her) posts from that thread.  Read into it whatever one will.  And

2.  The 3rd prize of this past draft at least according to 1 poster is the player the Sabres ended up with - Savoie.

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Imagine, all your significant RFA’s are signed, you have all your draft picks minus your own 3rd but also have a couple of extra 2nd rounders, your prospect list is significant, the owners have trust in the GM and the cap is flat one more year.

FTFY. 😉

• Thanks (+1) 1

A couple of quick cap thoughts on this contract.  KA now has the same top 6 defenders under contract for next season.  He has preached stability and here is another example.  One less worry for next off-season.

Does this deal reflect anything on KA's knowledge on Johnson's situation?  Does KA feel Johnson is going to walk after this college season or with Bryson only on a one year deal entering next season, does KA believe Johnson might beat him out in camp, demoting Bryson to the 7th D or the trade market?

Joki and Bryson better step up this season or we might need to make changes here despite their both being under contract.  

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

A couple of quick cap thoughts on this contract.  KA now has the same top 6 defenders under contract for next season.  He has preached stability and here is another example.  One less worry for next off-season.

Does this deal reflect anything on KA's knowledge on Johnson's situation?  Does KA feel Johnson is going to walk after this college season or with Bryson only on a one year deal entering next season, does KA believe Johnson might beat him out in camp, demoting Bryson to the 7th D or the trade market?

Joki and Bryson better step up this season or we might need to make changes here despite their both being under contract.  

To the bolded, do you expect Johnson's status in any way affected this deal?  If so, how?

Personally see Johnson's future as having exactly as much influence on this deal as Portillo's had on signing Comrie.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

To the bolded, do you expect Johnson's status in any way affected this deal?  If so, how?

Personally see Johnson's future as having exactly as much influence on this deal as Portillo's had on signing Comrie.

From Johnson's point of view, with 6 D locked up for next year, he's got to be asking himself if he'll get a legit shot at making the Sabres next year.  Personally, I think he could beat out Bryson right now. Also with long-term commitments to Mule, Power and Dahlin, he's got to be asking himself if 3rd pairing LHD is his long-term ceiling even if he makes the Sabres.  

So yes, I believe the long-term deal for Mule might reflect KA's knowledge that Johnson is thinking about moving on after this season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

From Johnson's point of view, with 6 D locked up for next year, he's got to be asking himself if he'll get a legit shot at making the Sabres next year.  Personally, I think he could beat out Bryson right now. Also with long-term commitments to Mule, Power and Dahlin, he's got to be asking himself is 3rd pairing LHD his best option long-term even if he makes the Sabres.  

So yes, I believe the long-term deal for Mule might reflect KA's knowledge that Johnson is thinking about moving on after this season.

Samuelsson is the only one with a contract beyond next season.  Things can change very quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

Since we now speculating on Cozens' and Asplund's next deals, here is the cap situation for 23-24.

8 Forwards - 30,725,356 - Quinn, JJP, VO, Mitts, Skinner, TnT, Tuch & Krebs   - RFA: Cozens, Asplund. UFAs: KO, Z, Vinnie and Sheahan 

6 Defenders - 18,302,381 - Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Bryson, Lyubushkin, and Jokiharju - RFA: Fitzgerald

1 Goalie - 1,800,000 - Comrie

TOTAL: 50,827,737

Likely additions: Savoie (950K) and UPL (837.5K)

Total with additions 52,615,237 for 9F, 6D & 2 G

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

Samuelsson is the only one with a contract beyond next season.  Things can change very quickly.

Do you honestly believe that KA is going to tell either of these top overall picks walk ever? Dahlin was just granted an "A" and is the only member of the young core so honored.  DG was already skating 23 minutes a night in his debut last year and he was arguably the best D in camp. Furthermore both are still RFAs after next season.  

Can things change?  Of course they can and will. However, those changes likely won't include either Dahlin or Power.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

What is the context here?  I miss all the fun.

Just nonsense that Mule will be leaving as soon as he can and saying that his father is not liking that the Sabres drafted him and blah, blah , blah ... posted by someone and the posts were not based on anything really.  They went back and deleted the original posts, but the ones that were quoted are still there in all their glory, as regular posters called out the nonsense of the posts.  Dude even changed his user name recently to better reflect the state of his being.  I won't out him, but these things can be found out.

3 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Just nonsense that Mule will be leaving as soon as he can and saying that his father is not liking that the Sabres drafted him and blah, blah , blah ... posted by someone and the posts were not based on anything really.  They went back and deleted the original posts, but the ones that were quoted are still there in all their glory, as regular posters called out the nonsense of the posts.  Dude even changed his user name recently to better reflect the state of his being.  I won't out him, but these things can be found out.

Ahhhh that was old stuff.  Thx

• Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

From Johnson's point of view, with 6 D locked up for next year, he's got to be asking himself if he'll get a legit shot at making the Sabres next year.  Personally, I think he could beat out Bryson right now. Also with long-term commitments to Mule, Power and Dahlin, he's got to be asking himself if 3rd pairing LHD is his long-term ceiling even if he makes the Sabres.  

And, again, don't see how THIS deal was affected in any way by Johnson's status nor how this deal in any way affects Johnson's status.

Samuelsson was NEVER going anywhere while in his RFA years & if Johnson or his daddy thought that he might be leaving then they don't understand this business as much as they let on.

And your claim that THIS deal was affected by Johnson's status strains credulity.  To say locking up Bryson for 2 years or bringing back Pilut MIGHT be based on the possibility of Johnson leaving is at least plausible.  They're all vying for the 3rd/4th left side D role.  But Samuelsson has locked up the #1 LD role for the ST & at minimum the #2 LD role for the extent of any ELC Johnson might be on.  This deal was influenced as much by Johnson as Dahlin's next deal will be.

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

Didn’t want to see the price go way up, I would assume.

How much does a guy who doesn’t get points see his value go up usually?

I don’t see this extension being a get him signed before he blows up scenario.

When I first saw this signing this morning my initial reaction was that it was a good signing for the Sabres.  My second thought was to wonder why he wouldn't he play out the season first (bet on himself, bet on his performance).

If I was his father giving advice I would say take the guaranteed money but if I was the young player I would want to play out the season first.  I guess I've always based this on my own life in that I was always willing to prove myself in any job (not just potential).  I always felt that was a good character trait.

I not suggesting anything really about Samuelsson.  Like I said it's the safe bet to take the contract.  I do hope Cozens waits and has a great year before signing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.