Sabres Announce a 7 Year 30 Million Contract Extension for Mattias Samuelsson

Brawndo

Came across this article while looking at lines: 

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/daily-faceoff-live-agent-nhl-executive-say-mattias-samuelsson-contract-is-among-the-worst-theyve-ever-seen/

Executive says the deal is crazy for team, agent says it’s crazy for player. Interesting dynamic.

I do think the league at large, while far from confident in the Sabres (plenty expect more losing), at least seem to finally be taking notice of the fact the Sabres are introducing a few new, interesting dynamics into their rebuild. In that people are paying attention now a little bit. Sabres could end up way wrong on some things but the great thing is, if they do succeed, they’ll be owed a lot of acknowledgement of aptitude from those on the outside who (understandably) remained wholly skeptical during the process. 

But I do think people are noticing the changes in process, even if they are yet to expect changes in result. 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Came across this article while looking at lines: 

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/daily-faceoff-live-agent-nhl-executive-say-mattias-samuelsson-contract-is-among-the-worst-theyve-ever-seen/

Executive says the deal is crazy for team, agent says it’s crazy for player. Interesting dynamic.

I do think the league at large, while far from confident in the Sabres (plenty expect more losing), at least seem to finally be taking notice of the fact the Sabres are introducing a few new, interesting dynamics into their rebuild. In that people are paying attention now a little bit. Sabres could end up way wrong on some things but the great thing is, if they do succeed, they’ll be owed a lot of acknowledgement of aptitude from those on the outside who (understandably) remained wholly skeptical during the process. 

But I do think people are noticing the changes in process, even if they are yet to expect changes in result. 

Thanks for the article.  Stopped at Serivaldi not realizing it was Granato who got the extension instead of Adams.  Hope the rest of it was better.

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh man is it going to be fun when Buffalo forces itself into the conversation

They are pretty slick. If and when that day comes they will pivot to "that's how you do it, build with the draft." Adams and Granato will be given huge kudos and I would suspect  they will dump on Eichel a little and talk about how he wasn't McDavid.  For the time being however they are, as always, Leaf centered and if they keep losing games like they did against Montreal the panic will set in quickly. 

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd rather have Muel at 4. Whatever for 7 years than this

Sanheim is 4 years older. 

Sanheim is also already being paid more on 2 x $4.675 that ends next summer.

Sanheim has a better shot for sure (he's got 9,8,7 goals in full seasons), but just like Muel he doesn't project as a PP defenseman as he's got Provorov and DeAngelo in front of him. Sanheim (and Risto) both only averaged 0:40 of PP time last season. Sanheim is going to eat a lot of tough minutes though, the same as Muel. It makes the Muel deal look better, especially if he contributes anything offensively.

I’m sorry if this was previously posted, but if you add in Muel’s AAV from his ELC into the extension equation (one year left at 925k), that means he’s locked up for eight years at 3.875M-ish averaged out. 

By looking at it that way, I’ll take his upside of top four D at less than 4M per. Could be an absolute steal. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.