Your 2022-23 Buffalo Sabres

GASabresIUFAN

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

And I thought everybody knew this…. I thought everybody knew that that’s what happens with these dogs… That’s the whole point behind it… That’s the whole story that was explained in the first place when the first dog made its rounds in the media.

🤷‍♂️

I thought the first dog was going to RJ and that's why they named him Rick.  Kind of like the gold watch retirement thing.  😏

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-training-camp-practice-report-jj-peterka-jack-quinn-line-combinations-october-3-2022/c-336014346

Are the lines taking shape?  Looks to me like JJP is well ahead of Bjork in the pecking order.

October 3, 2022 - Practice lines (Fitz day to day with an injury)

LWCRW

53 Jeff Skinner 72 Tage Thompson 71 Victor Olofsson

22 Jack Quinn 37 Casey Mittelstadt 89 Alex Tuch

19 Peyton Krebs 24 Dylan Cozens 77 JJ Peterka

74 Rasmus Aplund 28 Zemgus Girgensons 21 Kyle Okposo

15 Anders Bjork 8 Riley Sheahan 29 Vinnie Hinostroza

LDRDG

23 Mattias Samuelsson 26 Rasmus Dahlin

25 Owen Power 10 Henri Jokiharju

78 Jacob Bryson 46 Ilya Lyubushkin

4 Jeremy Davies 20 Lawrence Pilut 

38 Kale Clague 33 Chase Priskie 

Goaltending

41 Craig Anderson 31 Eric Comrie 1 Ukka-Pekka Luukonen

The D pairings seem pretty firm. I really like the 3rd and 4th forward lines. The Cozens line reminds me of the Vanek, Roy, Max line in some ways, and it's a nice blend of skill and speed with 2 players (JJP and Cozens) willing to do to the dirty areas.  I'd put Tuch back with TnT & Skinner.  That line needs someone willing to pass and that really isn't VO, Skinner or TnT's first priority.  Tuch did such a good job of feeding Thompson last year.  I do like Quinn with Mitts.   

16 hours ago, Thorny said:

It’ll prob be Comrie, but people shouldn’t be shocked if it’s Anderson. “How could they possibly start someone so old with such mediocre numbers?!” isn’t really a bridge too far when, well, they did exactly that a mere season ago. 

Yeah but last season the other option was Dustin Tokarski, opposed to someone they targeted in Free Agency who they felt was ready to take over as a starter. Last season Anderson was slated to be our starter. This year he's there to be a calming influence in the locker room. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-training-camp-practice-report-jj-peterka-jack-quinn-line-combinations-october-3-2022/c-336014346

Are the lines taking shape?  Looks to me like JJP is well ahead of Bjork in the pecking order.

The D pairings seem pretty firm. I really like the 3rd and 4th forward lines. The Cozens line reminds me of the Vanek, Roy, Max line in some ways, and it's a nice blend of skill and speed with 2 players (JJP and Cozens) willing to do to the dirty areas.  I'd put Tuch back with TnT & Skinner.  That line needs someone willing to pass and that really isn't VO, Skinner or TnT's first priority.  Tuch did such a good job of feeding Thompson last year.  I do like Quinn with Mitts.   

As like you, I would prefer Tuch back on the first line with Skinner and TT. However, last year Skinner demonstrated that he is not only a willing passer but also adept at it. In fact, I thought there were times when he was too willing to pass when he was in a good scoring position. 

Granato is not a stand pat coach when it comes to putting together lines and pairings. He frequently jumbles the lines during the game. It's going to be intriguing how after a dozen or so games he predictably will rework the lines. As you and others have stated before this emerging lineup has a lot of player flexibility to work with.

9 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Yeah but last season the other option was Dustin Tokarski, opposed to someone they targeted in Free Agency who they felt was ready to take over as a starter. Last season Anderson was slated to be our starter. This year he's there to be a calming influence in the locker room. 

Last season the other option was Tokarski b/c they had faith in Anderson. I expect Comrie to start, but we aren’t so far removed from them pencilling in Anderson as their 1, and they aren’t done with him to the point they didn’t bring him back to play, to the extent where Anderson starting would be *shocking*.

Anderson is here to be a vet presence, but he’s also someone they must feel comfortable in playing: or else having him here as one of the two main guys, for a team with any kind of expectation, would be a mistake.

Hutton got game 1 over Ullmark a couple seasons back. Anything is possible. 

Edited by Thorny

17 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Have there been any reports about how ticket sales have been going for this season?

I haven't heard numbers but the team has said that ticket sales are improving, especially multi-game deals.  Of course last year's sales were dreadful so the bar is pretty low.

13 hours ago, Thorny said:

they had faith in Anderson.

No, I don't think they did.  They were just bringing in warm bodies to replace the void left by Ullmark.  I think they got perhaps a little less out of Andy than they expected, but not much less.

On 10/5/2022 at 8:21 AM, Doohickie said:

I haven't heard numbers but the team has said that ticket sales are improving, especially multi-game deals.  Of course last year's sales were dreadful so the bar is pretty low.

No, I don't think they did.  They were just bringing in warm bodies to replace the void left by Ullmark.  I think they got perhaps a little less out of Andy than they expected, but not much less.

Less on the ice (maybe), but more in the locker room? They did bring him back after all.

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Colorado waived Anton Blidh. If I was Adams I'd pick him up. Better than Bjork or Sheahan as a 4th line fit imo. 

He doesn't play center and no he isn't as good as Sheahan.  I'll give you Bjork, but why would KA take on another JAG, when he has Malone, Murray, Rousek, Biro and others waiting in the wings for an opportunity?  It's time to move past the JAG stage of the rebuild.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He doesn't play center and no he isn't as good as Sheahan.  I'll give you Bjork, but why would KA take on another JAG, when he has Malone, Murray, Rousek, Biro and others waiting in the wings for an opportunity?  It's time to move past the JAG stage of the rebuild.

Oh it's not important, but I remember watching him play 4th line minutes with the Bruins and he was under valued. Has speed and a bit of grit. It's not a point worth arguing but I do think he's better than Sheahan and definitely better than Bjork. 

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think we're past the JAG horizon. There's true JAGs (good AHLers/tweeners) like Bjork. Or an even better example --- our 2nd liner in the tank: Seth Griffith, or the Matt Ellis of JAGs: Matt Ellis. And then there's actual NHL-caliber 4th-line grinders who get to the big league and stick: Girgensons. Lazar. Sheahan. I'll throw out a name to whom Sheahan compares very favorably: Dan Paille. Both late 1sts, both became good defensive forwards, and both (have) had decade-long careers. The difference is one was on a perennial contender and the other broke into the league on a team heading into its twilight.

Could Blidh become as good as Sheahan or Paille? Maybe. But I'd keep Sheahan over him for the next couple seasons.

We all love JJP and Kulich, but based on where they're selected, if they become Paille or Sheahan, and play 10 NHL seasons: that's a win. If they're 4th liners on a good team they'll be beloved. If they play on cellar-dwellers they'll be mistakenly called JAGs.

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh it's not important, but I remember watching him play 4th line minutes with the Bruins and he was under valued. Has speed and a bit of grit. It's not a point worth arguing but I do think he's better than Sheahan and definitely better than Bjork. 

We're underselling Sheahan's capability. He's a low-mistake vet with good enough size and wheels. He'll stay in the suite until needed, help settle rookies on a 4th line, kill penalties, and calm things down. He's a Zemgus-insurance plan if the Locomotive needs repairs.

Some numbers on Sheahan last season in Seattle:

69 gp. 17 points, 60% D zone starts at 5-on-5. And a ridiculous +6 on a team with a -69 goal differential. (Soucy, Sheahan, Tanev, Blackwell, Borgen... those are the only plus players for Seattle with over 10 gp and they're all defensive/bottom 6 grinders -- Tanev/Soucy with mid-tier potential-- who take care of their end first.) This Sabres team needs a few of those Sheahan-level players while the kids improve their games in all 3 zones.

5 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I think we're past the JAG horizon. There's true JAGs (good AHLers/tweeners) like Bjork. Or an even better example --- our 2nd liner in the tank: Seth Griffith, or the Matt Ellis of JAGs: Matt Ellis. And then there's actual NHL-caliber 4th-line grinders who get to the big league and stick: Girgensons. Lazar. Sheahan. I'll throw out a name to whom Sheahan compares very favorably: Dan Paille. Both late 1sts, both became good defensive forwards, and both (have) had decade-long careers. The difference is one was on a perennial contender and the other broke into the league on a team heading into its twilight.

Could Blidh become as good as Sheahan or Paille? Maybe. But I'd keep Sheahan over him for the next couple seasons.

We all love JJP and Kulich, but based on where they're selected, if they become Paille or Sheahan, and play 10 NHL seasons: that's a win. If they're 4th liners on a good team they'll be beloved. If they play on cellar-dwellers they'll be mistakenly called JAGs.

We're underselling Sheahan's capability. He's a low-mistake vet with good enough size and wheels. He'll stay in the suite until needed, help settle rookies on a 4th line, kill penalties, and calm things down. He's a Zemgus-insurance plan if the Locomotive needs repairs.

Some numbers on Sheahan last season in Seattle:

69 gp. 17 points, 60% D zone starts at 5-on-5. And a ridiculous +6 on a team with a -69 goal differential. (Soucy, Sheahan, Tanev, Blackwell, Borgen... those are the only plus players for Seattle with over 10 gp and they're all defensive/bottom 6 grinders -- Tanev/Soucy with mid-tier potential-- who take care of their end first.) This Sabres team needs a few of those Sheahan-level players while the kids improve their games in all 3 zones.

and yet Seattle had no interest in bringing him back. 

I understand the era of Jags is over argument, but I just think that if that guy is better than the guy you have, you get better by adding him and that's it. 

This is a minor argument over players relative value, and none of them is game changing or overly important, but I think those guys are better than what we have. 

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

if that guy is better than the guy you have, you get better by adding him and that's it. 

This is the Tim Murray mentality.  It doesn't take into account chemistry, character or culture.  It isn't just a player's stats that matter, it's how they will fit in with the rest of the team. 

Edited by Doohickie
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

and yet Seattle had no interest in bringing him back. 

I understand the era of Jags is over argument, but I just think that if that guy is better than the guy you have, you get better by adding him and that's it. 

This is a minor argument over players relative value, and none of them is game changing or overly important, but I think those guys are better than what we have. 

This is a weak argument for just about anything in the NHL. Teams make bad decisions almost constantly. 

Also, Colorado waving this guy is "oh we should add him" but your response to those pointing out Sheahan is similar is "Seattle didn't even want to keep him".

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.