Your 2022-23 Buffalo Sabres

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

I'm not a fan of these proposed forward lines. Putting Krebs, a set-up man, with Asplund, who hasn't shown the ability to finish, doesn't sit well with me. Instead, I'd like to see a 4th lines composed of Zemgus, Asplund and KO acting as a pure shutdown line which would play to Asplunds strengths. I hope he'll continue to develop an offensive touch but until he does, he'll remain an offensive anchor if he's on a scoring line.

Here's what I'd like to see to start the season:

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

Olofsson - Mitts - Krebs

Peterka - Cozens - Quinn

Girgensons - Asplund - KO

Hinistroza as the 13th.

I'm thinking of all-offence, all lines: more like

Krebs Cozens Savoie

Quinn Östlund Tuch

Kulich Thompson Peterka

Asplund Mitts Olofsson

I gotta say the mix of projected talent, speed and compete on those first three lines is drool-worthy.

Edited by dudacek

3 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

I'm not a fan of these proposed forward lines. Putting Krebs, a set-up man, with Asplund, who hasn't shown the ability to finish, doesn't sit well with me. Instead, I'd like to see a 4th lines composed of Zemgus, Asplund and KO acting as a pure shutdown line which would play to Asplunds strengths. I hope he'll continue to develop an offensive touch but until he does, he'll remain an offensive anchor if he's on a scoring line.

Here's what I'd like to see to start the season:

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

Olofsson - Mitts - Krebs

Peterka - Cozens - Quinn

Girgensons - Asplund - KO

Hinistroza as the 13th.

Don’t like look of that Mittelstadt/Krebs/VO line defensively 

4 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if the plan is to have a non-traditional forward group with 4 scoring lines. Something to the effect of:

skinner-Tage-Oloffson

Asplund-mitts-Quinn

okposo-Cozens-Tuch 

JJP-Krebs-Vinny/girgs 

If Quinn or JJP really break out next year, it would give the Sabres a lot of flexibility in the lineup, with scoring throughout the lineup. 

skinner-Tage-Quinn/JJP

Asplund-mitts-Oloffson 

JJP/quinn-Cozens-Tuch

Okposo-Krebs-Vinny/Girgs

I had Asplund so high in both lineups because he really balances out a line and helps to tilt the ice in our favor.

Totally agree on the Asplund point - don’t mind him further up the lineup as a solid two-way, cycle presence 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

The bold has it.

Any discrepancy between ice time between the 2 will be a result of ice time earned, though. I don't see the Sabres approaching it from the perspective of a 3C they want to get 14 minutes and a 2C they want to get 16.

I'm more interested in how they mix up the lines and who gets shifted to the wing. It sounds like the early plan is Zemgus at 4C, but Rochester convinced me that Krebs is more suited to centre.

I do think there is a chance the 4th line this year will be non-traditional and often include Quinn, Peterka and/or Krebs depending on the matchups Donnie wants higher up the lineup, specifically Girgs/Asplund in defensive conscience roles. That doesn't mean 8 minutes a game though, they'll get their 12.

Ya, I can actually see a scenario where 2-through-4 garner similar ice time overall 

• 2 months later...

Here we are with about a week left in camp and the roster is pretty much as predicted back in July.

What drama is left?  

Are we carrying 13 or 14 forwards?  If 13 - None of Bjork, Sheahan, or Malone is making the roster.  Krebs & JJP are making the roster.

Are we carrying 7 or 8 defense?  Who is still fighting for 7 & 8?  Fitz and Pilut?  I don’t think Clague, Priskie or Davies are really in the conversation.  I’m kind of thinking Pilut is the leading candidate for the 7th slot.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here we are with about a week left in camp and the roster is pretty much as predicted back in July.

What drama is left?  

Are we carrying 13 or 14 forwards?  If 13 - None of Bjork, Sheahan, or Malone is making the roster.  Krebs & JJP are making the roster.

Are we carrying 7 or 8 defense?  Who is still fighting for 7 & 8?  Fitz and Pilut?  I don’t think Clague, Priskie or Davies are really in the conversation.  I’m kind of thinking Pilut is the leading candidate for the 7th slot.

I'm fine with no drama, I just want to see this roster the first 10 games.

I always though Krebs was just abot 100% to make the roster, never thought that was in doubt.

I'm interested in Pilut. Is he in Roch? is he #7? or does he actually crack the opening day top 6?

7 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm fine with no drama, I just want to see this roster the first 10 games.

I always though Krebs was just abot 100% to make the roster, never thought that was in doubt.

I'm interested in Pilut. Is he in Roch? is he #7? or does he actually crack the opening day top 6?

Based on the contract they gave Bryson, he will have to clearly outplay Bryson to take his spot.  From what we've seen in preseason to date, he might do so.

Really expect they're going w/ 8 D because it makes practices run easier & Fitzgerald would be the D going down unless something changes these last 2 games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Based on the contract they gave Bryson, he will have to clearly outplay Bryson to take his spot.  From what we've seen in preseason to date, he might do so.

Really expect they're going w/ 8 D because it makes practices run easier & Fitzgerald would be the D going down unless something changes these last 2 games.

I didn’t think they’d keep 8 D, but I think they will now with how Pilut has played. Doubt they want to waive Fitzgerald. That will put Peterka or Krebs spot in potential jeopardy. 

11 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

I didn’t think they’d keep 8 D, but I think they will now with how Pilut has played. Doubt they want to waive Fitzgerald. That will put Peterka or Krebs spot in potential jeopardy. 

How?  Right now with Vinnie, Krebs and JJP we are at 13 forwards.  Bjork or Sheahan would be a 14th forward. If we carry 13 forwards, we can keep both Pilut and Fitz in the NHL.

I would agree that waiving Bjork and Sheahan is more likely than waiving both Fitz and Pilut.  I looks like there are 5 D in the Amerks camp after the recent cuts.  Add Priskie, Clague and Davies to that group and the Amerks have plenty of D even if the Sabres keep both Pilut and Fitz in Buffalo.  

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How?  Right now with Vinnie, Krebs and JJP we are at 13 forwards.  Bjork or Sheahan would be a 14th forward. If we carry 13 forwards, we can keep both Pilut and Fitz in the NHL.

I would agree that waiving Bjork and Sheahan is more likely than waiving both Fitz and Pilut.  I looks like there are 5 D in the Amerks camp after the recent cuts.  Add Priskie, Clague and Davies to that group and the Amerks have plenty of D even if the Sabres keep both Pilut and Fitz in Buffalo.  

Because I don’t think they’ll waive Bjork with his salary. And he’s a perfect player to park in the press box. 

9 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Because I don’t think they’ll waive Bjork with his salary. And he’s a perfect player to park in the press box. 

What has Bjork done to prove he is a viable NHL player compared to the upside of JJP or Krebs?  The best thing that could happen to Bjork (and the Sabres) is that he gets waived and picked up by another team.  With Sheahan, Malone, Rousek, Biro and Weissbach all in the organization, Bjork is easily replaced if lost. Maybe Appert and fix Bjork in Rochester if he clears waivers and turn him into an effective NHL player.

Also, keeping Fitz or Pilut over Bjork would only reduce our cap hit by about 350K.  We’d remain above the cap floor.  

Of course, it’s very possible that someone starts the year with an injury and no one we are discussing gets cut.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What has Bjork done to prove he is a viable NHL player compared to the upside of JJP or Krebs?  The best thing that could happen to Bjork (and the Sabres) is that he gets waived and picked up by another team.  With Sheahan, Malone, Rousek, Biro and Weissbach all in the organization, Bjork is easily replaced if lost. Maybe Appert and fix Bjork in Rochester if he clears waivers and turn him into an effective NHL player.

Also, keeping Fitz or Pilut over Bjork would only reduce our cap hit by about 350K.  We’d remain above the cap floor.  

Of course, it’s very possible that someone starts the year with an injury and no one we are discussing gets cut.

Every year there’s a player Sabres fans attach to in obsessing about getting waived or moved out of the organization. And it almost never happens. Bjork makes almost 2 million, and I don’t see them waiving him, or anyone taking him off their hands. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Every year there’s a player Sabres fans attach to in obsessing about getting waived or moved out of the organization. And it almost never happens. Bjork makes almost 2 million, and I don’t see them waiving him, or anyone taking him off their hands. 

In this case, Sheahan, Peterka, Krebs, and Quinn are so obviously more deserving of a place on the NHL roster that I hope that GMKA and HCDG send Bjork to Rochester to show the othere guys that they deserve to be here and that no spots were unearned.

I hope.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

What I’m seeing as the pecking order right now, italics are guys on the bubble to be in the starting lineup

Forward

• Thompson
  • Tuch
  • Skinner
  • Olofsson
  • Mittelstadt
  • Cozens
  • Okposo
  • Girgensons
  • Asplund
  • Hinostroza
  • Quinn
  • Krebs
  • Peterka
  • Sheahan
  •  Bjork
  •  Malone

Defence

• Dahlin
  • Power
  • Jokiharju 
  • Samuelsson
  • Lyubushkin
  • Bryson
  • Pilut
  • Fitzpatrick
  • Priskie
  • Davies
  • Clague

Goalie

• Anderson
  • Comrie
  • Luukkonnen
  • Subban

51 minutes ago, Marvin said:

In this case, Sheahan, Peterka, Krebs, and Quinn are so obviously more deserving of a place on the NHL roster that I hope that GMKA and HCDG send Bjork to Rochester to show the othere guys that they deserve to be here and that no spots were unearned.

I hope.

Contracts matter, whether people like it or not. They might waive him, maybe even 40 minutes from now. But they made a big thing about not paying big salary players in Rochester. And Lance seems the most in tune with the team, and he’s said a few times he doesn’t think they’ll waive hIm. 

14 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Contracts matter, whether people like it or not. They might waive him, maybe even 40 minutes from now. But they made a big thing about not paying big salary players in Rochester. And Lance seems the most in tune with the team, and he’s said a few times he doesn’t think they’ll waive hIm. 

IMHO, that would be a bad idea.  I hope you are wrong.

Here is the deal with Bjork’s contract. His cap hit is 1.6 and salary 1.8. If waived the Sabres get 1.1 in cap relief, but Bjork still gets his 1.8 in salary.  

Bjork isn’t in our top 12 forwards and won’t be playing even if he makes the team.  Truthfully he isn’t in our top 17 forwards.  I’d play JJP, Vinnie, Sheahan, Malone, Biro and Rousek all ahead of him.  

So what’s best for the Sabres? Carrying a bad player because he has a contract or giving his roster spot to someone who can help them team?  I’d rather have the 8th D.  I’d also rather keep Sheahan over Bjork.  

One caveat is that according to Capfriendly Pilut is still waiver exempt.  If that is correct, @Amerks8796 could ultimately be right and the Sabres send Pilut down while carrying 14 forwards.  

All that said,  Bjork is a JAG who had 8 pts in 58 games last season.  Sheahan, who also plays center and is defensively responsible, put up 17pts in 69 games last year and was a plus player on an expansion team.  Money or no, Bjork should not make this team over Sheahan, JJP, Krebs, Pilut or Fitz.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

Tell me it's not just me: the last time both the Sabres AND Americans both looked as competent as they do now was 2000-1, right?

Presidents’ trophy in the NHL, 98 point (4th in West) finish in AHL in 06-07

- - -

A lower watermark we can aspire to first:

In 2010, Sabres won the division and the Amerks were 2nd in theirs.

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Presidents’ trophy in the NHL, 98 point (4th in West) finish in AHL in 06-07

- - -

A lower watermark we can aspire to first:

In 2010, Sabres won the division and the Amerks were 2nd in theirs.

Thanks for the correction.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

What I’m seeing as the pecking order right now, italics are guys on the bubble to be in the starting lineup

Forward

• Thompson
  • Tuch
  • Skinner
  • Olofsson
  • Mittelstadt
  • Cozens
  • Okposo
  • Girgensons
  • Asplund
  • Hinostroza
  • Quinn
  • Krebs
  • Peterka
  • Sheahan
  •  Bjork
  •  Malone

Defence

• Dahlin
  • Power
  • Jokiharju 
  • Samuelsson
  • Lyubushkin
  • Bryson
  • Pilut
  • Fitzpatrick
  • Priskie
  • Davies
  • Clague

Goalie

• Anderson
  • Comrie
  • Luukkonnen
  • Subban

Comrie isn't below Anderson, period. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Hope you’re right.

The vibe I get from Adams and Donnie is that Anderson will be the starter opening night.

I would think that likely. The old veteran gets the first night and it's his job to lose. The depth chart to start the year will be Anderson, Comrie, UPL, Subban in that order and how the season plays out from there will be determined by how they play and of course injuries should they happen. 

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Hope you’re right.

The vibe I get from Adams and Donnie is that Anderson will be the starter opening night.

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They are probably going to go with the hot hand early in the year and see how things play out.

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I would think that likely. The old veteran gets the first night and it's his job to lose. The depth chart to start the year will be Anderson, Comrie, UPL, Subban in that order and how the season plays out from there will be determined by how they play and of course injuries should they happen. 

Boys, they aren't making Anderson the starter. Comrie is going to be penciled in for 50 games as the starter. Have you listened to the coach and GM? Only way that changes is if Comrie sucks and right now all 3 of you are overreacting to a preseason game.

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Hope you’re right.

I don't get that vibe at all considering both guys have almost explicitly stated the opposite. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.