Your 2022-23 Buffalo Sabres

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What would have the Sabres done if Sheahan had been healthy?  Would Bjork have gotten waived?  I understand that Pilut was exempt from Waivers, but does anyone really believe the someone else would have claimed Fitz?

Expect Bjork would've been waived.

The more interesting question is would Pilut have been waived over Bjork had Okposo been 100% and the team not heading for a long road trip after their 2nd game in 3 days to start the season.  Still believe it makes more sense to carry 8 D, but they aren't going to do that if it means possibly only carrying 12 healthy F's on a long road trip.

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Pilut is in Rochester because he’s waived eligible (somehow).  Kinda surprised Lybushkin (sp?) isn’t in the top 4 D.  I don’t like Joki there.  He’s average at best.  Bryson, uh, isn’t.  

Ah I see. They have to play Bryson because, if they sent him down and he got claimed, we’d be in the unenviable position of needing to suit up a better player. Makes total sense. 

19 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ah I see. They have to play Bryson because, if they sent him down and he got claimed, we’d be in the unenviable position of needing to suit up a better player. Makes total sense. 

It’s nowhere near that simple.

Let’s say a “good” #6 dman is worth “55 internet points”

Let’s say the Sabres rated Bryson “58” over the course of last season and “52” during training camp.

Let’s say they ranked Pilut a 55 during camp. It’s no sure thing that when the puck drops Pilut is going to be better.

Alternatively, you are going to use your #8 dman over the course of the year. You waive Bryson to play Pilut and all of a sudden that #8 is Chase Priskie, a training camp 49 and a career 44.

Is Pilut so much better than Bryson you are going to throw away your depth?

Pilut will get his chance.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/8/2022 at 10:48 PM, Doohickie said:

You make jokes?

Huh.

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I do in fact understand the calculation. 

The secret though is that, sometimes, and I know this is crazy, I like to pretend I’m just a fan who can, obviously so darn foolishly, think primarily about wanting to see the guys who’re going to help us win NOW, the most, suit up. 

I understand the through-the-eyes-of-the-GM lens is more preferred and common. A break from it once in a while isn’t the worst thing, reminds me a bit of wrestling fans who are always watching by way of a Booking lens rather than as consumers of a product

54 minutes ago, calti said:

Is power gonna be a game changer?  (pardon me i dont follow the league very closely)

If his Sabres stint last season (and taking over Team Canada's blue line) are any indication... maybe not a game changer in terms of "wow", but more of a game changer in terms of control. A player where you look up... and he's got the puck again and he's making any easy pass to safety, then trailing the rush and establishing possession in the o-zone. Smart pinches and occasional carries below the goal line with the puck. Aggressive but not Makar-high-speed or young Erik Karlsson aggressive. Defensively he's very sound, too.0

The thing I'll watch is early is how he handles NHL forecheckers. Last season, no one really attacked him (he was a rookie in his first few games), and there definitely isn't the same level of hitting in the Olympics. This season, he'll be a test/focal point of opponents to see how he handles pressure and hits. Does he avoid contact and start making poor passes (like Pilut did after his initial first few weeks)? Or does he continue to play sound and smart with elite vision? We'll learn quickly, because I'm betting Ottawa dumps a few pucks into his corner to go make a hit first (Austin Watson, for example) and worry about puck retrieval second. Then, it's up to Power how he adjusts. I remember that Dahlin went through that phase where everyone was hitting him and he still made plays but he also got tight, and he didn't really break fully back out of it until last season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This is a weak argument for just about anything in the NHL. Teams make bad decisions almost constantly. 

Also, Colorado waving this guy is "oh we should add him" but your response to those pointing out Sheahan is similar is "Seattle didn't even want to keep him".

I don't believe Sheahan is similar at all. We can disagree on that, but it doesn't invalidate an argument if I have a different evaluation of a player's worth than you do, it just means we disagree. There are no absolute rights and wrongs in these things but you never want to acknowledge that so whatever. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't believe Sheahan is similar at all. We can disagree on that, but it doesn't invalidate an argument if I have a different evaluation of a player's worth than you do, it just means we disagree. There are no absolute rights and wrongs in these things but you never want to acknowledge that so whatever. 

Oh it's not you disagreeing with Sheahan, idc about Sheahan. 

It's you claiming that 1 team dumping a player is some type of evidence that player isn't good while in the same breath claiming we should pick up a player another team dumped. It's illogical. Basically I'm saying get better reasoning instead of varying your criteria because... idk you just do that. 

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't believe Sheahan is similar at all. We can disagree on that, but it doesn't invalidate an argument if I have a different evaluation of a player's worth than you do, it just means we disagree. There are no absolute rights and wrongs in these things but you never want to acknowledge that so whatever

That's rich coming from you. Bill Gates rich.

11 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

The thing I'll watch is early is how he handles NHL forecheckers. Last season, no one really attacked him (he was a rookie in his first few games), and there definitely isn't the same level of hitting in the Olympics. This season, he'll be a test/focal point of opponents to see how he handles pressure and hits. Does he avoid contact and start making poor passes (like Pilut did after his initial first few weeks)? Or does he continue to play sound and smart with elite vision? We'll learn quickly, because I'm betting Ottawa dumps a few pucks into his corner to go make a hit first (Austin Watson, for example) and worry about puck retrieval second. Then, it's up to Power how he adjusts. I remember that Dahlin went through that phase where everyone was hitting him and he still made plays but he also got tight, and he didn't really break fully back out of it until last season.

What I've observed so far is that teams have tried to rattle him but he calmly absorbs to the hit, retains possession, and moves the puck.  Will other teams turn up the pressure?  We'll see.

He uses size and positioning to play the game at his own pace, and forces opponents to play at that pace too.

Il y a 12 heures, Buffalonill a dit :

Rien contre le pouvoir, mais le makar est le bobby orr de cette génération.

Je ne vois aucun joueur s'approcher de lui

On ne peut pas comparer Makar à Bobby Orr. Makar n’a jamais été le meilleur défenseur. Il n’a même pas été le meilleur joueur de son équipe. Bobby Orr a gagné le championnat des pointeurs de la ligue … 2 fois!

22 hours ago, calti said:

Is power gonna be a game changer?  (pardon me i dont follow the league very closely)

This coming year? Hopefully a positive impact player.

Long term? I think so. He better be - he’s a first overall pick. He needs to be a game changer/ impact player 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.