Your 2022-23 Buffalo Sabres

GASabresIUFAN

Barring Injury (or other roster moves and signings) - Cost approx 63 million.

Forwards 14

Skinner Thompson Tuch

VO Mitts Quinn

Vinnie Cozens KO

Asplund Krebs JJP

Girgensons Bjork

Defense 7

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Jokiharju

Bryson Lyubushkin

Fitzgerald

Goalies - 2

Comrie Anderson

Key Depth

Forwards - R2, Murray, Malone, Biro

Defense - Clague, Pilut, Davies, Prow (updated)

Goalie - UPL, Subban

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Like the lineup I posted better but, good stuff 

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

Olofsson - Cozens - Quinn 

Asplund - Krebs - Okposo

Girgensons - Mittelstadt - Hinostroza

(Peterka is in if ready, there’ll be an injury) 

Samuelsson - Dahlin

Power - Jokiharju

Bryson - Lyubushkin

Fitzgerald

Comrie

Anderson

^

*Your 2022/23 Buffalo Sabres*. 

And, yes, the Buffalo Sabres logo is still a buffalo between two sabres

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Barring Injury (or other roster moves and signings) - Cost approx 63 million.

Forwards 14

Skinner Thompson Tuch

VO Mitts Quinn

Vinnie Cozens KO

Asplund Krebs JJP

Girgensons Bjork

Defense 7

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Jokiharju

Bryson Lyubushkin

Fitzgerald

Goalies - 2

Comrie Anderson

Key Depth

Forwards - R2, Murray, Malone, Biro

Defense - maybe Pilut

Goalie - UPL, Subban

If recent history is any indication, who are the 5th and 6th goalies? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Still would like to see some help at Center.

If we brought in a checking C (don’t think we will), it’ll be interesting to see which of Cozens/Krebs/Mittelstadt moves over to wing. My money is still on Mittelstadt. 

I don't really worry about him being limited offensively on the wing, as in the ozone/rush the forwards pretty much go wherever they want anyways. Positions are more relevant when considering D-coverage. Cozens two-way makes him more of a lock for me, there, as to me it’s more important to make sure Cozens remains in the middle of the ice on D.

To me he’s the glue, most important part of our future C core and maybe even just the forwards in general. Cozens becoming that stand out, 60 point-ish C with a stand-out two-way game is fundamental for future success imo 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If we brought in a checking C (don’t think we will), it’ll be interesting to see which of Cozens/Krebs/Mittelstadt moves over to wing. My money is still on Mittelstadt. 

I don't really worry about him being limited offensively on the wing, as in the ozone/rush the forwards pretty much go wherever they want anyways. Positions are more relevant when considering D-coverage. Cozens two-way makes him more of a lock for me, there, as to me it’s more important to make sure Cozens remains in the middle of the ice on D.

To me he’s the glue, most important part of our future C core and maybe even just the forwards in general. Cozens becoming that stand out, 60 point-ish C with a stand-out two-way game is fundamental for future success imo 

Agree.  I want the two-way center because I want to win more games now, but I want it on the cheap, and I know the FO’s expectation is that Cozens be that guy.   So I can dream like other fans.  

I recently talked to a coach on the staff that believes that long term Thompson will go back to wing.   Hence the drafting of three centers in the first.  They want someone to feed him.  

Also stated was - No way anyone is going to rush Adams, his goal is to build a team that is good for a long time, not a one and done run.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Agree.  I want the two-way center because I want to win more games now, but I want it on the cheap, and I know the FO’s expectation is that Cozens be that guy.   So I can dream like other fans.  

I recently talked to a coach on the staff that believes that long term Thompson will go back to wing.   Hence the drafting of three centers in the first.  They want someone to feed him.  

Also stated was - No way anyone is going to rush Adams, his goal is to build a team that is good for a long time, not a one and done run.  

Very interesting. 

I had thought that’d be the case eventually but had kinda given that idea up 

23 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

For the love of all that is good & Holy, please no.  Just no.

Did they watch any tape on him prior to last year?

Mittlestadt is our 2nd line C over Cozens? Man I hope not. Pretty much what I expected with the additions of Jack Quinn/JJ Peterka. We can only hope that we get the 2nd half of the Sabres and that the additions of Quinn/Peterka/Comrie put us over the top but that's a whole lot of hope. Great stuff though thanks for taking the time. So who are we guessing to be the Captain? I hope it's Tuch but it will most likely be Okposo.

31 minutes ago, Taro T said:

For the love of all that is good & Holy, please no.  Just no.

Did they watch any tape on him prior to last year?

Well @Pimlachsaid long term.  That would assume that these recent drafted Cs play well enough to move Tage out of his C slot.

I don't see any of this happening for a long time (if ever).  Personally, I think Tage's improvement was position change.  His long stick, reach and size gives him a playing/shooting style that seems better utilized in the middle of the ice than along the boards.  This year will tell me more.

Edited by Cheektorado
  • Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

The coaching staff likely knows a hell of a lot better than us, whether the improvement we saw was due to a change in position or just getting better at hockey. 

They likely do.  But 2 prior coaching staffs used all their expertise & experience to watch him & help him to play barely NHL quality hockey.

And coaches consistently try to force square pegs into round holes.  Until there are enough other players on the roster that the overall play of the team is improved by sliding him to W, and personally really doubt that happens, don't want to see him anywhere near a W.  His game isn't winning board battles.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Toker, Dell, Hauser, Duncan the Walrus.

Whose real name was revealed at the NHL draft as Topias Leinonen.  At 6'5" 233 as an 18 year old, I guess if the hockey thing doesn't work out the Bills can always turn him into an O Lineman in a few years.

5 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Tokarski and Hauser are fine for #5 and #6 in Cincinnati.  I could deal with them each for a couple of games in an emergency. 

Tokarski might head there for a Stealers - Bungles game but he's getting ready to eat his fries in his burger as he's now a Pen.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I don't doubt that a coach told you that he felt that Thompson would eventually go back to wing. I just don't see that happening. He did play wing. And his talents were stifled. My understanding is that Don G. in the offseason made the decision to move him to center, where he has flourished. In fact, I have heard DG state on more than a few occasions on WGR that he believed that there was still more upside for him at the center position. 

I agree with the last sentence in your post. That's what KA has repeatedly said since assuming his position. And his actions have underscored his rebuild strategy. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't doubt that a coach told you that he felt that Thompson would eventually go back to wing. I just don't see that happening. He did play wing. And his talents were stifled. My understanding is that Don G. in the offseason made the decision to move him to center, where he has flourished. In fact, I have heard DG state on more than a few occasions on WGR that he believed that there was still more upside for him at the center position. 

I agree with the last sentence in your post. That's what KA has repeatedly said since assuming his position. And his actions have underscored his rebuild strategy. 

The coach I heard it from was not DG and I would call the statement a speculation about the future. If Thompson continues to thrive at C that changes the thinking.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Here's an interesting way of looking how the NHL roster has evolved. Depth chart based on games played/ice time:

1st half 21/22 * 2nd half 21/22 * Projected 22/23 opening

Thompson ––> Tuch ––> Tuch

Skinner ––> Thompson ––> Thompson

Okposo ––> Skinner ––> Skinner

Cozens ––> Okposo ––> Cozens

Asplund ––> Mittelstadt ––> Mittelstadt

Olofsson ––> Cozens ––> Olofsson

Girgensons ––> Olofsson ––> Okposo

Hinostroza ––> Krebs ––> Krebs

Eakin ––> Asplund ––> Asplund

Bjork ––> Eakin ––> Girgensons

Hayden ––> Girgensons ––> Quinn

Caggiula ––> Hinostroza ––> Peterka

Murray ––> Bjork ––>Hinostroza

Ruotsalainen ––> Hayden ––> Bjork

Dahlin ––> Dahlin ––> Dahlin

Pysyk ––> Jokiharju ––> Samuelsson

Miller ––> Samuelsson ––> Jokiharju

Bryson ––> Bryson ––> Power

Hagg ––> Fitzgerald ––> Lyubushkin

Butcher ––> Pysyk ––> Bryson

Jokiharju ––> Hagg ––> Fitzgerald

Tokarski ––> Anderson ––> Comrie

Dell ––> Tokarski ––> Anderson

To summarize:

• Went 13-21-7, 109 GF, 141 GA
  • Started playing Mittelstadt, Tuch, Krebs, Samuelsson, Fitzgerald and Anderson instead of Bjork, Hayden, Caggiula, Miller, Butcher and Dell
  • Went 19-18-4, 120 GF, 146 GA
  • Exchanged Eakin, Hayden, Pysyk, Hagg and Tokarski for Quinn, Peterka Power, Lyubushkin and Comrie

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

To summarize:

• Went 13-21-7, 109 GF, 141 GA
  • Started playing Mittelstadt, Tuch, Krebs, Samuelsson, Fitzgerald and Anderson instead of Bjork, Hayden, Caggiula, Miller, Butcher and Dell
  • Went 19-18-4, 120 GF, 146 GA
  • Exchanged Eakin, Hayden, Pysyk, Hagg and Tokarski for Quinn, Peterka Power, Lyubushkin and Comrie

It's interesting that the goal differential between the halves isn't greater.  The 2nd half showed an 11 GF improvement, but also 5 more GA. 

What it really shows me is that we still need to cut down about .5 GA/GP to be competitive.  I'm not sure the additions of Comrie and Lyubushkin can accomplish that.

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's interesting that the goal differential between the halves isn't greater.  The 2nd half showed an 11 GF improvement, but also 5 more GA. 

What it really shows me is that we still need to cut down about .5 GA/GP to be competitive.  I'm not sure the additions of Comrie and Lyubushkin can accomplish that.

What it shows me is the exact middle of the season wasn't when Buffalo started to improve by adding back the injured players. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.