2022 NHL Draft Day 2

GASabresIUFAN

5 minutes ago, bg17 said:

That’s super interesting. It has to be an emotional time when your year’s worth of effort reaches the finish line. This reaction has me fascinated. 

How long has Fortin been with the Sabres? If he was part of the previous regime(s) and only now feels valued by the GM it paints a very positive picture of Adams behind the scenes.

• Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, steveoath said:

I was just listening to this audio only and had to come here to see if anyone else had commented on it.

I found this very noteworthy.  I know that sometimes we dismiss words as just words, but I think this kind of shows that Adams’ words about culture and growing an organization are more than just words.  That makes me feel good.

KA seems like a really good leader and manager of people.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

It was a typical Sabres draft. Speed, skill, not overly concerned with size or grit, clearly analytically based, lots of Euro, and numerous players with potential upsides . 

I'm just not happy that they passed on Warren and took the goalie. That was bad. 

By grit, do you mean 'ready to drop 'em?'

Because by the definition of grit as "painful to play against" our first rounders are gritty. They don't stop coming.

59 minutes ago, steveoath said:

How long has Fortin been with the Sabres? If he was part of the previous regime(s) and only now feels valued by the GM it paints a very positive picture of Adams behind the scenes.

Forton was hired by Darcy as an assistant coach to Ron Rolston in 2013-14 (replacing Kevyn Adams!) and then moved over to scouting when Ted Nolan brought in his people.

He's been here for almost the full Pegula tenure.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Because by the definition of grit as "painful to play against" our first rounders are gritty. They don't stop coming.

Forton was hired by Darcy as an assistant coach to Ron Rolston in 2013-14 (replacing Kevyn Adams!) and then moved over to scouting when Ted Nolan brought in his people.

Combine that with the stress of the draft, a year of work and a better working atmosphere even if it was intense... yeah I get it

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Also a Buffalo native and one time Niagara U. coach.  You know this guy bleeds blue and gold.  His reaction shows me more about KA then anything I have heard or read about.  This boat is turning kids!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

I believe the emotions were more for Kim Pegula and what She is going through. He mentioned Adams,  got choked up and His Voice cracked when He said the Pegulas. 
I do the franchise is pointed in the right direction and Adams is a primary driver behind this though 

He has become very close friends with Terry and Kim and I believe that’s how He has survived the multiple FO purges. 

On a related note the Sabres did draft two of the Top 20 remaining players from Pronman’s Board this AM in Neuchev and Lindgren. 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I believe the emotions were more for Kim Pegula and what She is going through. He mentioned Adams,  got choked up and His Voice cracked when He said the Pegulas. 
I do the franchise is pointed in the right direction and Adams is a primary driver behind this though 

He has become very close friends with Terry and Kim and I believe that’s how He has survived the multiple FO purges. 

On a related note the Sabres did draft two of the Top 20 remaining players from Pronman’s Board this AM in Neuchev and Lindgren. 

I disagree. Not saying you’re wrong, but the Pegulas didn’t come into the conversation until the 1:32 mark. It was the question specifically about Kevyn which caused the tears to flow. He pulled himself together enough to mention the Pegulas at the end. 

30 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I disagree. Not saying you’re wrong, but the Pegulas didn’t come into the conversation until the 1:32 mark. It was the question specifically about Kevyn which caused the tears to flow. He pulled himself together enough to mention the Pegulas at the end. 

As I mentioned He is very close to the Pegulas and what Kim is going through has really shaken Forton. 
He really likes working with Adams and is appreciative of What He has done for the franchise, but I believe His true emotions, are more tied with Kim’s Condition 

37 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

As I mentioned He is very close to the Pegulas and what Kim is going through has really shaken Forton. 
He really likes working with Adams and is appreciative of What He has done for the franchise, but I believe His true emotions, are more tied with Kim’s Condition 

In a sense I think his first thought was probably of Kevyn keeping even keeled during Kim's situation and thus broke him emotionally for a moment. KA likely had to deal with being an in-between with the staff over how Kim was doing while also dealing with the offseason. 

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

not dropping them. Maybe guys that can drop them if they need to, but that's not the league any more. I mean guys that hit people and seek out contact rather than avoiding it. Guys who are more likely to "accidentally" bump the goalie than get pushed out to the perimeter. 

I know some of these guys are not shy of contact and they keep coming , but it remains to be seen if that holds at a higher level where the opponents are bigger. These guys aren't Gauthier types.  As always, depends what they do at the NHL level. 

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I’m late to this thread and draft day two in general, but if Terry wasn’t at the draft…that’s pretty noteworthy, isn’t it?

2 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I’m late to this thread and draft day two in general, but if Terry wasn’t at the draft…that’s pretty noteworthy, isn’t it?

I don’t recall Terry not being at the table for a Sabres draft.

Forton dropped a nugget that Savoie, Kulich and Östlund were all firmly in the top half of the 1st round on their board.

He also said Savoie was one of two players the Sabres were hoping would be there at 9.

He also said earlier that he had a very clear top 6. I would bet good money that their top 6 was the same top six that went top six.

Im going to guess that the other guy they were hoping for was Kasper, and the trade with Ottawa was to jump over Detroit and ensure they got one of their top 8.

Then Chicago moved up instead, took Korchinski and we ended up with Savoie anyway.

I wonder what the butterfly effect of moving to 7 would have been?

Frankly, I doubt we would have done better than the trio we got. Especially if Detroit had Savoie ranked right after Kasper.

Only guy picked between Savoie and Östlund I rank with Östlund is Nazar.

Maybe dominoes lead to Kulich not being there at 28?

Maybe Matt Murray did do us a favour.

Edited by dudacek
  • Shocked 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don’t recall Terry not being at the table for a Sabres draft.

38 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Agree. I seem to remember him on stage for every first round draft pick in recent memory. 

Matt Pegula was the only member of the family present. 

Scott Wheeler was not talking about the Sabres when he made this quote, but it stuck with me as fitting for this draft:

The teams that win the war take chances on talent, the hardest thing to find anywhere. 

Add in the caveat of competitive talent, and it really describes how they approached this draft.

Every pick - at least from what I can see - seems to be talented for where he was taken.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Scott Wheeler was not talking about the Sabres when he made this quote, but it stuck with me as fitting for this draft:

The teams that win the war take chances on talent, the hardest thing to find anywhere. 

Add in the caveat of competitive talent, and it really describes how they approached this draft.

Every pick - at least from what I can see - seems to be talented for where he was taken.

The biggest thing I have noticed is that Buffalo takes hard workers with talent regardless of physical maturity at 18. Östlund for example will need to add 20lbs but there is a lot of high end skill there. He is like a better Rosen type of pick.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

2018-20: 18 picks in 3 years, 7 of them in the 1st 3 rounds.

2021-22: 22 picks in 2 years, 11 in the 1st 3 rounds.

We’ve certainly bought more raffle tickets.

And they are scheduled to add 4 More picks in the Top 64. 

21 hours ago, Brawndo said:

And at the end of what was surely a LONG, highly intensive scouting process everyone involved knew they needed to get right, it’s no surprise the emotions are at the surface. It’s truth and it’s fatigue. Well earned. 

18 hours ago, dudacek said:

Forton dropped a nugget that Savoie, Kulich and Östlund were all firmly in the top half of the 1st round on their board.

He also said Savoie was one of two players the Sabres were hoping would be there at 9.

He also said earlier that he had a very clear top 6. I would bet good money that their top 6 was the same top six that went top six.

Im going to guess that the other guy they were hoping for was Kasper, and the trade with Ottawa was to jump over Detroit and ensure they got one of their top 8.

Then Chicago moved up instead, took Korchinski and we ended up with Savoie anyway.

I wonder what the butterfly effect of moving to 7 would have been?

Frankly, I doubt we would have done better than the trio we got. Especially if Detroit had Savoie ranked right after Kasper.

Only guy picked between Savoie and Östlund I rank with Östlund is Nazar.

Maybe dominoes lead to Kulich not being there at 28?

Maybe Matt Murray did do us a favour.

I’m honestly tickled pink that we got Savoie instead of Kasper 

• Like (+1) 1

The Athletic rates the Sabres draft class tied for 3rd best with AZ and CBJ.

Buffalo Sabres: A-
I was a big fan of how Buffalo approached this draft. They acquired a lot of skill, hockey sense and scoring touch in the top four rounds to go with a top goalie prospect in Topias Leinonen. I could quibble with a few things — Noah Östlund at 16 was a tad high for me personally, even though the NHL industry roughly had him there. That said, I like a lot of the players they brought in and can envision several quality regulars coming out of this draft, including a projected good top-six forward in Matthew Savoie.

https://theathletic.com/3409495/2022/07/08/nhl-draft-grades-analysis?source=user-shared-article

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.