Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

• nfreeman changed the title to Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season
  • nfreeman pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

5th worst ?

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952b10284c26196c8541

The problem with WAR is twofold

1. It practically relies on goaltending for over 1/4th of a team's success. Buffalo with Vasy would get about 95 to 100 pts according to this formula. Having 2 good goalies gives you the Islanders; even though both aren't playing in the same game.

2. PreUFA and with RFAs is a very odd time to even bother with this. Not to mention a team like Toronto has no goalies and a few have no starter including us. 

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Lol islanders top of the met. And philly will be lucky to break 65 points this year. They are hot garbage. 

War data like this is cr4p.

Philly will probably be hot garbage, but the big rumour there is Johnny Hockey signing there all but a done deal. No idea where it comes from but it's all over Philly chat. 

26 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Philly will probably be hot garbage, but the big rumour there is Johnny Hockey signing there all but a done deal. No idea where it comes from but it's all over Philly chat. 

How?  They have zero cap space.  What’s the projected AAV for JG?  $8-9m?  They would need to pay someone to take JVR, and still clear more, as he’s only $7m. Or R. Ellis, who missed all year and supposedly will play next year.  They have $28m tied up between 5 defensemen.  And those contracts….

boat ship GIF

33 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

How?  They have zero cap space.  What’s the projected AAV for JG?  $8-9m?  They would need to pay someone to take JVR, and still clear more, as he’s only $7m. Or R. Ellis, who missed all year and supposedly will play next year.  They have $28m tied up between 5 defensemen.  And those contracts….

boat ship GIF

They just signed DeAngelo to 2x$5M 

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

boat ship GIF

I suspect Ellis is going to LTIR. His career may be over. Other than that I have no idea. There's the money they used to pay Giroux maybe?

Canes are such a weird team. I mean, they’re excellent at roster building obviously but every year they seem to overhaul their backend, dumping core pieces in the process, and just plug and play guys off the scrap heap with little to no decline in performance.

I wonder what their play for a Deangelo replacement is. Would they take a run at Klingberg? They’re a cap team so money isn’t the issue- but they follow their internal analytic evaluations on players to a T when signing and paying guys.

3 hours ago, eanyills said:

Canes are such a weird team. I mean, they’re excellent at roster building obviously but every year they seem to overhaul their backend, dumping core pieces in the process, and just plug and play guys off the scrap heap with little to no decline in performance.

I wonder what their play for a Deangelo replacement is. Would they take a run at Klingberg? They’re a cap team so money isn’t the issue- but they follow their internal analytic evaluations on players to a T when signing and paying guys.

I would say they rely on team speed as their strength and any player is expendable. 

They simply were not going to pay Hamilton what he wanted (and he didn't give NJ their money's worth) and DeAngelo was a gamble they won on but DeAngelo has issues and perhaps they weighed it up and decided he was not worth the gamble of extending. 

I could see them going after Klingberg, but I could also see them going after nobody. 

8 hours ago, eanyills said:

The core of their D has been Pesce and Slavonic for a long time.  They added Skjei to them a couple years ago.

They did lose Hamilton and replaced him on the PP with DeAngelo, who they also are going to let go.  Looks like they have decided that it’s not worth it to give a defenseman big money based on points that they piled up on the PP.

They will find another defenseman who they can use on their power play.  Probably at a good value too.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The question is what is the expectation on return; 38 points in nearly 60 plus games is a bottom six forward quality.  Not to mention the paltry post season numbers.  If he's available on the absolute cheap.  I'd let Buffalo snipe him for a 5th round pick with conditions to go up to a fourth.  lol

18 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

5th worst ?

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952b10284c26196c8541

Honestly, I swear, some pundits and fans who still talk ***** about the Sabres, don't see that they've been cleaning up a lot of their mistakes, and really have an approach for once.  We all want the playoff drought to end, and it feels odd that Kevyn Adams is the GM that finally has some sense, but call a spade a spade and just embrace it?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

Honestly, I swear, some pundits and fans who still talk ***** about the Sabres, don't see that they've been cleaning up a lot of their mistakes, and really have an approach for once.  We all want the playoff drought to end, and it feels odd that Kevyn Adams is the GM that finally has some sense, but call a spade a spade and just embrace it?

That’s not from a pundit making predictions off hand though.  The point predictions are from a computer model.  The computer doesn’t care that the team name is Buffalo.

27 minutes ago, Curt said:

That’s not from a pundit making predictions off hand though.  The point predictions are from a computer model.  The computer doesn’t care that the team name is Buffalo.

Yeah, but the model computes based on historical data. So projected starters like Quinn, Peterka, Power have next to zero  impact and pretty much count as replacement level. 

15 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Yeah, but the model computes based on historical data. So projected starters like Quinn, Peterka, Power have next to zero  impact and pretty much count as replacement level. 

Sure, you can disagree with the model based on statistical grounds, but it certainly is not influenced by negative opinions of pundits or fans toward Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Curt said:

Sure, you can disagree with the model based on statistical grounds, but it certainly is not influenced by negative opinions of pundits or fans toward Buffalo.

Some people take it personally when the numbers get crunched. What does it all mean? Little to nothing at all. At least in this exercise.  

3 hours ago, Rasmus_ said:

The question is what is the expectation on return; 38 points in nearly 60 plus games is a bottom six forward quality.  Not to mention the paltry post season numbers.  If he's available on the absolute cheap.  I'd let Buffalo snipe him for a 5th round pick with conditions to go up to a fourth.  lol

That is 38 points in 60+ games playing with McDavid and Draisatl.  He is probably a 20 point winger with other linemates. He has no hockey sense. Hard Pass

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.