Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

https://theathletic.com/3691128/2022/10/20/nhl-redraft-2018/

The Sabres had 6 picks in 2018 headlined by Dahlin, Samuelsson.  According to Pronman, Dahlin is the 4th best player in that draft, behind Brady Tkachuk, Svechnikov,  and Quinn Hughes. Dahlin looks like he is working toward another level this season. 

Samuelsson (drafted 32nd) is now 13th on Pronman’s list, but is listed in Tier 5 as a middle of the lineup player.  While I don’t have an issue with the ranking per se, Mule is playing top line minutes right now and is a perfect compliment to the free wheeling Dahlin.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Sabres had 6 picks in 2018 headlined by Dahlin, Samuelsson.  According to Pronman, Dahlin is the 4th best player in that draft, behind Brady Tkachuk, Svechnikov,  and Quinn Hughes. Dahlin looks like he is working toward another level this season. 

Samuelsson (drafted 32nd) is now 13th on Pronman’s list, but is listed in Tier 5 as a middle of the lineup player.  While I don’t have an issue with the ranking per se, Mule is playing top line minutes right now and is a perfect compliment to the free wheeling Dahlin.  

Mule's placing is one of the biggest shifts I've ever seen Pronman make.

He's previously always ranked him as a Mike Weber-level bottom-pair stay-at-home type

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Mule's placing is one of the biggest shifts I've ever seen Pronman make.

He's previously always ranked him as a Mike Weber-level bottom-pair stay-at-home type

Back in 2018 Pronmam hated this pick.  I remember watching him for the USNTDP and seeing him as their Captain and thinking this is exactly the type of player we need on the back end.  I was glad we grabbed him then and thrilled with how quickly he has developed into a top D man for us.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

And you both can be correct in the assessment.

Playing w/ a mere mortal he probably ideally fits in on a 2nd pairing as a 3, but he does work very well w/ Dahlin and is effectively a 2 because both Dahlin being sooo good & the 2 of them complementing each other so well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Probably the wrong thread, but Jeff Marek was giving Dahlin a big shoutout this morning during a segment where he and Greg Wyshynski were talking about the NHL’s top defencemen.

Basically said Dahlin seems to have arrived in that tier. Wyshynski seemed kinda skeptical, but didn’t argue.

Marek gave the Sabres a lot of love; sounded like a lot of us - seeing signs that good things are on the way, little hesitant to buy fully in because so much is still projection.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Quinn Hughes may score more points but I take Dahlin all day. Especially now that he has added some push back and physical play to his game. Hughes is as physical as a pylon and blocks shots like a flamingo. Housley 2.0.

Tkachuk has some intangibles to his game but Dahlin may almost match him points wise and Rasmus will play 25 minutes a night in a more important position than LW.

Svechnikov can score but again, a Dman is more important to tilt the ice and will play way more important minutes.

Everyone has their opinion but I still take Dahlin. If Tkachuk and Svechnikov were centres I may consider them some more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, dudacek said:

I take Dahlin again without hesitation.

He's on the verge of becoming (if not already) the 1st TRUE #1 D-man the Sabres have EVER had.  No one else has been one for more than portions of a season & the most recent was Tallinder in the back 1/2 of that magical 05-06 season until he broke his arm.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 10/19/2022 at 12:56 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Pronman’s 2019 re-draft.  The Sabres had 6 picks in 2019 and acquired Krebs in the Eichel trade.  5 of 7 made the list and unlike the 2021 re-draft, I doubt we’d quibble much with his list.  https://theathletic.com/3690768/2022/10/19/nhl-redraft-2019/

4. Cozens (pick 7) - Tier 2 - Bubble NHL All-star.  I think we’d all agree this is his potential

11. Krebs (pick 17) - Tier 3 - Potential top line player.  I think we’d all agree he isn’t close to that level, but is an elite passer with speed.  Should get closer to that level   with time, experience and physical development

35. Johnson (pick 31) - Tier 5 - Middle of the lineup player.  Most of us project him as a 2nd or 3rd pairing stay at home D.

56. Portillo (pick 67) - Tier 6 - Will play in the NHL.  He’ll play in the NHL but probably not the Sabres.  Likely as a back-up.  Cal Petersen 2.0

99. Huglen (pick 102) - Tier 7 - Could play in the NHL. I’d lean more toward Tier 6 given his skillset and development last year, but he is now in a very crowded Sabres forward pipeline.

Missing:  Cederqvist and Rousek.  IMHO Rousek should be on the list.  He’ll get a callup at some point this year given his development and the organization’s belief in his game.  I see him as Z’s eventual replacement.  Cederqvist also has a chance if he translates his improved SHL scoring to the Amerks.  It wouldn’t surprise me at all if all 6 for Jbot’s picks from 2019 play at least some NHL games.  The closest we’ve come to an entire draft class playing in the NHL was 1979 when 6 of 7 played at least one game.  That 79 class was pretty solid and featured Mike Ramsey, Ruff, Cloutier, Hamel and Haworth. Even goalie Rick Knickle managed 14 NHL games for the Kings in the early 1990s.  What a story that must have been, kicking around the minors for 14 years waiting to hear your name in the NHL.

I'm surprised no one has commented on this article

2 hours ago, shrader said:

So it's not just mood swings, it's also assuming a demanding tone that just isn't there.  I can see where the "constantly posting these updates" part may have been misleading.  I meant specifically those on twitter.  But anyway, I'm curious to see how often some of those bad games do occur, 1 in 10, 1 in 5, every other game?  Hell, one flash goal for could come in the same exact game as ten disinterested defensive floating.

So you may need to raid inky's stash to help relax a bit.

Now now…we must do everything possible to prevent any tantrums.  This is 2022, and even when posting something that seems reasonable, you are still unreasonable. 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You can go look up that info if you want, sign up for a EP account and you can see each game score on the player card. 

Love it when ppl bitch about how and what information others provide them for free without them having to do any work. Always fantstic. "HEY! You! Ya you asshat over there, I want this other information so why don't you be a good little child and fetch it for me."

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Ok Mr. Mood swings, I'm not bitching at all.  I seriously wanted to know.  Like I said, it's important information.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Not a mood swing. Just because you waltzed in here and demanded certain  information from "these folks constantly posting these updates"  and I think it is ***** thing to demand, doesn't mean I am moody. It means your request was. 

3 hours ago, shrader said:

So it's not just mood swings, it's also assuming a demanding tone that just isn't there.  I can see where the "constantly posting these updates" part may have been misleading.  I meant specifically those on twitter.  But anyway, I'm curious to see how often some of those bad games do occur, 1 in 10, 1 in 5, every other game?  Hell, one flash goal for could come in the same exact game as ten disinterested defensive floating.

So you may need to raid inky's stash to help relax a bit.

Typical tactic. Accuse someone of being moody or in need of relaxing when you were in the wrong. You want certain info, go find it. 

20 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Now now…we must do everything possible to prevent any tantrums.  This is 2022, and even when posting something that seems reasonable, you are still unreasonable. 😂

I just want to be able to laugh at this over and over. Beautiful example of projection coupled with overtones of gaslighting. 

The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

He's on the verge of becoming (if not already) the 1st TRUE #1 D-man the Sabres have EVER had.  No one else has been one for more than portions of a season & the most recent was Tallinder in the back 1/2 of that magical 05-06 season until he broke his arm.

In never put much thought to it, but the Sabres have really never had a dominant D-man.  Housely was great in the offensive zone, Ramsey, and to a lesser extent Hajt were great in the D-zone.   Talinder was balanced but not 'great' in any one aspect of the game.  But no-one who you could even say would approach dominant from the Back end.

Up front, you had Lafontaine, Mogilney, Perreault, Gare, even Briere and Andreychuk. If not dominant they all had seasons where they were considered legit stars. Of course Hasek in net.  But until possibly Dahlin, no one like that on the back end. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

In never put much thought to it, but the Sabres have really never had a dominant D-man.  Housely was great in the offensive zone, Ramsey, and to a lesser extent Hajt were great in the D-zone.   Talinder was balanced but not 'great' in any one aspect of the game.  But no-one who you could even say would approach dominant from the Back end.

Up front, you had Lafontaine, Mogilney, Perreault, Gare, even Briere and Andreychuk. If not dominant they all had seasons where they were considered legit stars. Of course Hasek in net.  But until possibly Dahlin, no one like that on the back end. 

I think Power could be that all around guy but idk if Dahlin will ever have the defense needed to do that. Would love for him to prove everyone wrong though. 

33 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm surprised no one has commented on this article

Didn't really have much to say on it to be honest. Looks roughly right (I think re-draft articles get more accurate the further away you get)

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I think Power could be that all around guy but idk if Dahlin will ever have the defense needed to do that. Would love for him to prove everyone wrong though. 

The thing I like about Dahlin in terms of his defense so far this year is he has the ability, and positioning, to get back.  You would think with him pinching and going deep in the offensive zone, he would get caught up ice a lot. But it seems to me not only is that not happening much anymore, often times HE is the one d-man back when his partner gets caught up ice.

Being able to control the puck in his own zone, get it out of the zone (and out of danger) because of his carrying/control  or first pass ability, and the fact he has the speed and awareness to get back in his zone really well this year....those skills may make him more of an asset keeping the puck out of the Sabres net than a typical 'stay at home, shut down' type of D-man.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Thus the earlier post.  😉

They've had a lot of 2's through the years from Schoeny through Zhitnik and Tallinder.  But they've NEVER had a true 1.

Now, they might be on the verge of having 2 legit #1's and at a time when the also should have a legit 3 that MIGHT be a Ramsey 2/3.  Add Johnson (hopefully) to the mix along w/ Jokiharju &/or a couple of the Russians or the kid their high on in junior & they really could have a Nashvilleesque dominant D shortly after the cap explodes. 

Talk about Rags to riches, from none in over 50 years to 2 just 3 years apart in age & both in their primes.

I just want to be able to laugh at this over and over. Beautiful example of projection coupled with overtones of gaslighting. 

The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

Perhaps you should read the second paragraph of the very first post you quoted, a post made by you. But enough of this little fit. I’ll stop asking prospect question in hopes of avoiding future tantrums. 

Now please have the last word. I know you require that. 

On 10/20/2022 at 9:33 AM, shrader said:

Do any of these folks constantly posting these updates every say "Joe Blow had an absolutely awful game today"?  That's some information I think would be just as useful as the "1G, 2As" videos.

No, and you make a good point, that we should remember that the feeds pumping out that content almost exclusively post the positive stuff, and not generally the full picture. 

Still useful as an aspect of info just have to keep the full picture in mind 

On 10/20/2022 at 10:42 AM, shrader said:

Ok Mr. Mood swings, I'm not bitching at all.  I seriously wanted to know.  Like I said, it's important information.

You don't check yourself you're about to get a "Not bitter, just interested in important info" thread in your honour 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 10/20/2022 at 12:06 PM, dudacek said:

Probably the wrong thread, but Jeff Marek was giving Dahlin a big shoutout this morning during a segment where he and Greg Wyshynski were talking about the NHL’s top defencemen.

Basically said Dahlin seems to have arrived in that tier. Wyshynski seemed kinda skeptical, but didn’t argue.

Marek gave the Sabres a lot of love; sounded like a lot of us - seeing signs that good things are on the way, little hesitant to buy fully in because so much is still projection.

About to watch this on the pvr

edit - lol of course he has a sabre logo beside his face now 

IMG_3430-2.jpg

Edited by Thorny

On 10/20/2022 at 6:36 PM, LGR4GM said:

The only concern I have with prospects as I look over Pronman is that we are woefully short of defensive prospects currently. You can't really draft for position but we might want to earmark 2 of the top 4 picks we have to bolster that depth. 

Dahlin and Mule are 22, power is 19. That's three top end prospects. Joki is the old man at 23. Our top four is set for at least the next five years. I don't get the pearl clutching over the lack of defensive prospects, I have faith that Adams will stock the cupboards over the next two years. 

10 minutes ago, Hank said:

Dahlin and Mule are 22, power is 19. That's three top end prospects. Joki is the old man at 23. Our top four is set for at least the next five years. I don't get the pearl clutching over the lack of defensive prospects, I have faith that Adams will stock the cupboards over the next two years. 

I get they are young but injuries can pile up quick and suddenly you have AHL D-man. Gotta have really solid depth. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Hank said:

Jokiharju isn't a top 4 defender impo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.