Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

On 10/10/2022 at 12:58 PM, Huckleberry said:

Each time I see this name it reminds me of NHL2005 where each new draft you had 20 pedersens, pedersons, pettersons.   

Canucks have 2 Elias pettersons now 😄

Now there are two of them!

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Nice goal. But uffda, 38 can't just let the most dangerous player on the other team drift down in front of the goalie like that. Savoie's not that short.

Remember when you said the Sabres killed the 2021 draft?

Corey Pronman disagrees.

Rather than a bunch of players who should have been picked higher, the Sabres reached for a lot of their picks, according to Pronman’s reranking of that draft, recently published in the Athletic.

https://theathletic.com/3682561/2022/10/17/2021-nhl-redraft/

Owen Power should not have gone number 1; the best player that year was Luke Hughes. Power should have gone #3 after Hughes and Matty Beniers.

Prokhor Poltapov was a huge reach at 33. Pronman ranks him 82, 3 picks ahead of Aleksandr Kisakov who was another reach at 52.

Yes, Josh Bloom was a steal at 95, but basically only petty cash, ranking 74 “has a chance to play NHL games”.

Late round studs Kozak and Novikov? There are 127 players listed. They didn’t make the cut. Neither did Sardarian Marjala or van Barnekow.

And I haven’t forgotten Rosen. The 14th overall pick is all the way down at 47 “Projected to play NHL games.”

The Sabres only true mover was Nadeau, who was in the same category as Rosen and a few spots ahead at 41, after being drafted at 97

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Corey Pronman disagrees.

Rather than a bunch of players who should have been picked higher, the Sabres reached for a lot of their picks, according to Pronman’s reranking of that draft, recently published in the Athletic.

Owen Power should not have gone number 1; the best player that year was Luke Hughes. Power should have gone #3 after Hughes and Matty Beniers.

Prokhor Poltapov was a huge reach at 33. Pronman ranks him 82, 3 picks ahead of Aleksandr Kisakov who was another reach at 52.

Yes, Josh Bloom was a steal at 95, but basically only petty cash, ranking 74 “has a chance to play NHL games”.

Late round studs Kozak and Novikov? There are 127 players listed. They didn’t make the cut. Neither did Sardarian Marjala or van Barnekow.

And I haven’t forgotten Rosen. The 14th overall pick is all the way down at 47 “Projected to play NHL games.”

The Sabres only true mover was Nadeau, who was in the same category as Rosen and a few spots ahead at 41, after being drafted at 97

I don't agree with much of Pronman's comments, but I do agree that Rosen was a reach (I had him late in the first) and that Power might not be the top pick from that class.  I really wanted Beniers, but Power was the consensus top pick.  Ultimately it doesn't matter.  It's how many guys make an impact for the Sabres.  Rosen is off to a good start in Roch.  Kozak could end of being a huge steal and Kisakov is already playing pro hockey in NA.  If 4 of Nadeau, who I also had as a steal on draft day, Bloom, Rosen, Power, Kisakov, Kozak or others make an impact for the Sabres, the draft will be heralded as one of our best ever.  I also think it's a great credit to the depth of our prospect pool that 6 of our draftees made the list, before factoring in Kozak and Novikov.  The best news is that, other than Power, none of these guys will be forced in the NHL before they are ready.  Because of the depth upfront in Buffalo, current Amerks Rosen, Kozak, and Kisakov will all probably get 2+ years in Roch before making their way West to the Sabres.  When they make the NHL we can give Pronman a collective raspberry.

PS don't count on Sardarian or Marjala.  I doubt either every play for the Sabres.  Also since I learned at last year's draft that most teams only have a draft board of about 125 names, and usually only about 50-60% of the draftees ever even play an NHL game, Pronman is probably right to limit his list to 127 names. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Corey Pronman disagrees.

Is this one of those redraft things based on how they've played so far?  Otherwise I stopped reading the second I saw that the consensus #1 shouldn't have gone #1.  Oh wait, I stopped reading either way.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Novikov did make the cut

69. Nikita Novikov, LHD (No. 188 pick)

That said, idk how you re-draft a draft that happened last year already. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Novikov did make the cut

He had to come up w/ some sort of an article.  And this one is getting people discussing it.  Would an article merely about how dreamy Luke Hughes is have generated nearly as much discussion?  Pretty sure we both know the answer to that, & that is why one redrafts an NHL draft 1 year later. 😉

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Novikov did make the cut

I missed Novikov in my first read as well.  Nice catch.  So that’s 7 players from our draft, without including Kozak, in his top 127 so to speak.  I’d say again, that’s a pretty good sign for the depth in our pipeline.  

I agree with @dudacekthat Kozak’s absence from the list is questionable.  He was basically as effective last year in the CHL as Bloom was and earned a jobnin the AHL as a 19 year old.  He should have made the list.

https://theathletic.com/3704768/2022/10/18/sabres-goalie-prospect-ukko-pekka-luukkonen-rochester-offseason-training/

Nice article on UPL.  Basically he is finally fully healthy and spent the summer in Finland getting into excellent physical condition and working with 2 Finnish goalie coaches (who also coach in the NHL) on his game.  Result is a fit confident and improved (so far) goalie.  

Had a chance to watch Matt Savoie in person last night.

He was the first star: beautiful short-handed assist on a 2-on-1, and a goal, burying it off a cross-ice pass from the right circle.

wouldn't say he dominated, but he mostly looked good and produced. Looks pretty small live, but focused and intense both ways.

Looked like he was winning every faceoff.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Had a chance to watch Matt Savoie in person last night.

He was the first star: beautiful short-handed assist on a 2-on-1, and a goal, burying it off a cross-ice pass from the right circle.

wouldn't say he dominated, but he mostly looked good and produced. Looks pretty small live, but focused and intense both ways.

Looked like he was winning every faceoff.

Winnipeg is loaded this year. I think they are 8-1 and Red Deer with Lindgren are 8-0. 

I’m  glad they are keeping Savoie at centre. He was very good at the dot at the Prospects Tournament

• Thanks (+1) 1

Pronman’s 2019 re-draft.  The Sabres had 6 picks in 2019 and acquired Krebs in the Eichel trade.  5 of 7 made the list and unlike the 2021 re-draft, I doubt we’d quibble much with his list.  https://theathletic.com/3690768/2022/10/19/nhl-redraft-2019/

4. Cozens (pick 7) - Tier 2 - Bubble NHL All-star.  I think we’d all agree this is his potential

11. Krebs (pick 17) - Tier 3 - Potential top line player.  I think we’d all agree he isn’t close to that level, but is an elite passer with speed.  Should get closer to that level   with time, experience and physical development

35. Johnson (pick 31) - Tier 5 - Middle of the lineup player.  Most of us project him as a 2nd or 3rd pairing stay at home D.

56. Portillo (pick 67) - Tier 6 - Will play in the NHL.  He’ll play in the NHL but probably not the Sabres.  Likely as a back-up.  Cal Petersen 2.0

99. Huglen (pick 102) - Tier 7 - Could play in the NHL. I’d lean more toward Tier 6 given his skillset and development last year, but he is now in a very crowded Sabres forward pipeline.

Missing:  Cederqvist and Rousek.  IMHO Rousek should be on the list.  He’ll get a callup at some point this year given his development and the organization’s belief in his game.  I see him as Z’s eventual replacement.  Cederqvist also has a chance if he translates his improved SHL scoring to the Amerks.  It wouldn’t surprise me at all if all 6 for Jbot’s picks from 2019 play at least some NHL games.  The closest we’ve come to an entire draft class playing in the NHL was 1979 when 6 of 7 played at least one game.  That 79 class was pretty solid and featured Mike Ramsey, Ruff, Cloutier, Hamel and Haworth. Even goalie Rick Knickle managed 14 NHL games for the Kings in the early 1990s.  What a story that must have been, kicking around the minors for 14 years waiting to hear your name in the NHL.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

On 10/18/2022 at 8:40 AM, dudacek said:

Corey Pronman disagrees.

No data on Polapov or Kisakov yet to even make those early judgments. Don’t see the Power reach. 

He’s probably right about a Bloom though and some of those others having a “shot at” NHL games. I’d say the same thing. 

34 minutes ago, shrader said:

Do any of these folks constantly posting these updates every say "Joe Blow had an absolutely awful game today"?  That's some information I think would be just as useful as the "1G, 2As" videos.

You can go look up that info if you want, sign up for a EP account and you can see each game score on the player card. 

Love it when ppl bitch about how and what information others provide them for free without them having to do any work. Always fantstic. "HEY! You! Ya you asshat over there, I want this other information so why don't you be a good little child and fetch it for me."

• Shocked 1
  • dislike 1

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You can go look up that info if you want, sign up for a EP account and you can see each game score on the player card. 

Love it when ppl bitch about how and what information others provide them for free without them having to do any work. Always fantstic. "HEY! You! Ya you asshat over there, I want this other information so why don't you be a good little child and fetch it for me."

Ok Mr. Mood swings, I'm not bitching at all.  I seriously wanted to know.  Like I said, it's important information.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, shrader said:

Ok Mr. Mood swings, I'm not bitching at all.  I seriously wanted to know.  Like I said, it's important information.

Not a mood swing. Just because you waltzed in here and demanded certain  information from "these folks constantly posting these updates"  and I think it is ***** thing to demand, doesn't mean I am moody. It means your request was. 

Edited by LGR4GM

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not a mood swing. Just because you waltzed in here and demanded certain  information from "these folks constantly posting these updates"  and I think it is ***** thing to demand, doesn't mean I am moody. It means your request was. 

So it's not just mood swings, it's also assuming a demanding tone that just isn't there.  I can see where the "constantly posting these updates" part may have been misleading.  I meant specifically those on twitter.  But anyway, I'm curious to see how often some of those bad games do occur, 1 in 10, 1 in 5, every other game?  Hell, one flash goal for could come in the same exact game as ten disinterested defensive floating.

So you may need to raid inky's stash to help relax a bit.

• Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, shrader said:

So it's not just mood swings, it's also assuming a demanding tone that just isn't there.  I can see where the "constantly posting these updates" part may have been misleading.  I meant specifically those on twitter.  But anyway, I'm curious to see how often some of those bad games do occur, 1 in 10, 1 in 5, every other game?  Hell, one flash goal for could come in the same exact game as ten disinterested defensive floating.

So you may need to raid inky's stash to help relax a bit.

Typical tactic. Accuse someone of being moody or in need of relaxing when you were in the wrong. You want certain info, go find it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.