Is Skinner now our Brad Marchand?

GASabresIUFAN

Mitts said in his post game press conference that Skinner “ is one of his best friends but he’d hate his guts if he was on the other side.”  I’ve always noticed Skinner liked to chirp at refs and opponents, but with his game returning he is throwing opponents off theirs with his play and mouth.  Thoughts?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If there was an award for "chirping" Skinner would be a near unanimous choice to win it. It is so great to see a once deflated and demoralized player become one of the most spirited and feisty players on the ice. The difference between a player like Skinner compared to Marchand is that although he can be an irritant he is a clean player.  

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I hate to admit it but I pretty much gave up on Skinner and thought of him as a $$ liability. Now it seems as though he's been playing better than ever. His movement in limited space is amazing. Hope he can maintain this level of intensity more often than not.  

Edited by Dryballs
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Dryballs said:

I hate to admit it but I pretty much gave up on Skinner and thought of him as a $$ liability. Now it seems as though he's been playing better than ever. His movement in limited space is amazing. Hope he can maintain this level of intensity more often than not.  

Welcome back!

And boy, does coaching matter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

In my opinion, Skinner is FAR from being a Marchand.  I detest Marchand.  I like Skinner.  And it's not because he plays for the Sabres.  There are plenty of Sabres I didn't care for because they were like Marchand.  Players like Barnaby and Kaleta.  Skinner is not in their company.  I see it as Skinner being competitive and vocal.  I don't see him as someone who is making an idiot of himself.  Time could prove me wrong, but Skinner is not an idiot to me.  He is having fun and playing hockey the "right way", just with a lot of passion.  And by "right way", I mean his focus is on hockey skills like skating, passing and scoring, not on pestering the opponents to the point of exasperation.  That is just a by-product of his competitiveness. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, RangerDave said:

In my opinion, Skinner is FAR from being a Marchand.  I detest Marchand.  I like Skinner.  And it's not because he plays for the Sabres.  There are plenty of Sabres I didn't care for because they were like Marchand.  Players like Barnaby and Kaleta.  Skinner is not in their company.  I see it as Skinner being competitive and vocal.  I don't see him as someone who is making an idiot of himself.  Time could prove me wrong, but Skinner is not an idiot to me.  He is having fun and playing hockey the "right way", just with a lot of passion.  And by "right way", I mean his focus is on hockey skills like skating, passing and scoring, not on pestering the opponents to the point of exasperation.  That is just a by-product of his competitiveness. 

I'm going to answer the question as yes.  Marchand is a hack and he's dirty, but he's also pretty skilled and has a way of getting opponents off their games.  In that sense, Skinner is our Marchand.  Both have similar offensive output.  Both get the other teams off their game.  But what makes Skinner better than Marchand is that Skinner isn't a dirty hack.

• Like (+1) 3

Maybe Skinners doesn't cross the line, but his antics do get under the other team's skin and disrupt their concentration on the game.  We have waited for years for a pest who drives the other team crazy both with his play and attitude.  Maybe Skinner is the player finally cast in that role.  So he isn't the cheap punk that Marchand is, but maybe he is the Indiana Jones to Marchand's Dr. Rene Belloq.  

Belloq: You and I are very much alike. Archaeology is our religion, yet we have both fallen from the purer faith. Out methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am a shadowy reflection of you. It would take only a nudge to make you like me, to push you out of the light.

Read more: https://ficquotes.com/belloq-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-character-quotes/

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

This is a funny homer thread. 

If Skinner wasn't on this team every single one of you would say he yaps too much and deserves a smack in the mouth, which is what he will get when teams start taking us seriously if he keeps doing it. 

Oh and a spear in the back of the knee is a dirty play, like it or not. Not saying I have a problem with it, I don't, but it is dirty and Skinner can be at times.

Marchand is dirty, no question, but he doesn't yap nearly as much any more, and he backs it up himself. Seems a little burnt out these days to be honest. Think he's on the fade. 

11 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Wait … what? I’m having a senior moment.

I probably misremembered the poster that was reluctantly on board with Skinner being here because of his rep as a diver with Carolina.  Now I’m not sure who it was if it wasn’t you.

13 hours ago, Weave said:

I probably misremembered the poster that was reluctantly on board with Skinner being here because of his rep as a diver with Carolina.  Now I’m not sure who it was if it wasn’t you.

I was never a Skinner fan, but I think the poster you are thinking of was @TrueBlueGED.

One of several good posters we seemed to have lost over these dark years. Be great if this team starts bringing back some voices, and bringing in some new ones.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Weave said:

Not until he’s spearing opponents in the groin.

This.

Big difference between getting under other guys skins by chirping and outworking them than getting under other guys skins by hacking them and outworking them.  Nobody fears a career ending injury from an insult.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.