Repeatedly smashing stick while on the on ice

SDS

Should repeatedly smashing your stick while on the ice result in a two minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalty?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should repeatedly smashing your stick while on the ice result in a two minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalty?

• Yes
    • No

I’m just thinking about the display that Lankinen put on last night. Slamming your stick down once is understandable. But when you put on a full display of smashing your stick against a goal post multiple times, at some point it’s really not a good look for the sport. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• SDS changed the title to Repeatedly smashing stick while on the on ice
14 minutes ago, SDS said:

I’m just thinking about the display that Lankinen put on last night. Slamming your stick down once is understandable. But when you put on a full display of smashing your stick against a goal post multiple times, at some point it’s really not a good look for the sport. 

He should be suspended for a game, although a better punishment might be playing behind the Hawks defense.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

He should be suspended for a game, although a better punishment might be playing behind the Hawks defense.

I normally don’t pay attention to things like this. Has this ever been punished after the game?

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Doesn’t every sport have “passion”?

Sometimes.

I just think it only reflects on him, not the NHL as a whole, so why bother with a penalty.

Plus, Players usually (because they have to) keep their cool during the game. You usually only see those reactions at the end of games. When would they assess the penalty, the next game?

7 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Sometimes.

I just think it only reflects on him, not the NHL as a whole, so why bother with a penalty.

Plus, Players usually (because they have to) keep their cool during the game. You usually only see those reactions at the end of games. When would they assess the penalty, the next game?

Agreed.  You never see this except for a GWG or an insurance goal very late in the game.  Losing the game is probably punishment enough.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, SDS said:

I normally don’t pay attention to things like this. Has this ever been punished after the game?

No idea.  Certainly some infractions are reviewed after the game for a suspension.  I doubt the NHL cares.  

In tennis, destroying your racket during a match is penalized.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No idea.  Certainly some infractions are reviewed after the game for a suspension.  I doubt the NHL cares.  

In tennis, destroying your racket during a match is penalized.  

If you intentionally smash it during a game, it’s penalized because it stops play.  Everyone has to stand around and wait for you to go get another racket.

If you smash it at your chair during a changeover, I don’t think that’s ever penalized.

As someone who's played, I have no idea why that should be considered a penalty.    It's an emotionally charged sport, let players show emotion and vent their frustration.... especially in this day and age where everyone is hyper-sensitive about mental well-being.     Let players play.  

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I'm out over $1000 on sticks this year with my U15 AAA son. And I buy the closeout year old model sticks. 

I hear you, my youngest is U18AAA. One of the teams inviting him to junior tryouts says they give out 4 sticks per season. That could be the deal breaker.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.