Repeatedly smashing stick while on the on ice

SDS

Should repeatedly smashing your stick while on the ice result in a two minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalty?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should repeatedly smashing your stick while on the ice result in a two minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalty?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

No one said anything about infields.  But it does happen in the field of play, all the time, just not usually in fair territory (which should make sense).   I'll let @Curt handle the tennis.

After reviewing ATP rules, it appears that I was kind of off.  By the book, smashing your racket is not allowed at any time.  It can result in a $500 fine per offense and warning for 1st offense, point penalty for 2nd offense, and worse for more.

I don’t know about how often the fine is imposed, but it seems to me that the warning/penalties are generally not levied in cases where it does not affect play in any way.

However, in my experience, ball abuse is punished much more consistently.

I don’t think any of this really matters.  In a sport that allows players to hit each other with sticks during and after play, allows pushing/shoving/tackling/screaming/light punching after the whistle, I’m not sure why demonstrably breaking a stick should be the bridge too far.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Curt said:

After reviewing ATP rules, it appears that I was kind of off.  By the book, smashing your racket is not allowed at any time.  It can result in a $500 fine per offense and warning for 1st offense, point penalty for 2nd offense, and worse for more.

I don’t know about how often the fine is imposed, but it seems to me that the warning/penalties are generally not levied in cases where it does not affect play in any way.

However, in my experience, ball abuse is punished much more consistently.

I don’t think any of this really matters.  In a sport that allows players to hit each other with sticks during and after play, allows pushing/shoving/tackling/screaming/light punching after the whistle, I’m not sure why demonstrably breaking a stick should be the bridge too far.

What if I smash a racket over Marchand's head when he is in the stands watching the US Open and I also am in the stands watching?  And my snack is better than his and he comes over to mooch off of me?  Like, I have crudités and hummus and dip, but he only has popcorn?

EDIT:  Oh, and for some reason I have a racket.  And Marchand has a head.

Edited by Eleven

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

What if I smash a racket over Marchand's head when he is in the stands watching the US Open and I also am in the stands watching?  And my snack is better than his and he comes over to mooch off of me?  Like, I have crudités and hummus and dip, but he only has popcorn?

EDIT:  Oh, and for some reason I have a racket.  And Marchand has a head.

Nick Kyrgios might throw you one while he's having a temper tantrum.

11 hours ago, SDS said:

Their is slamming your stick in a show of emotion and then there is making yourself a spectacle. Two Chicago guys broke their stick on that play. The guy that nobody cares about broke a stick along the boards and skated off. The guy that everyone sat and watched take three chops at a goal post was a spectacle. Personally, I think becoming a spectacle is unwarranted.

I could see a penalty for a play which attempts to gain an unfair advantage or victimize another player.   

Who is the victim here?    I'd rather my goalie be upset and make himself a spectacle instead of showing apathy.   

9 hours ago, RangerDave said:

I agree that he was throwing a temper tantrum.  I don't blame him for being upset with himself.  It was a bad play that cost him the game.  I wish he would have found a better way to vent.  It was definitely poor form.  On the other hand, when you try to break your stick with one slam and it doesn't break, what ya gonna do?  Try it again (and again).  I'm not sure that warrants a penalty as it wasn't directed at anyone but himself.  If you are a parent watching with your child, make it a teachable moment.

One of my boys, when he was about 13 or 14, smashed his stick across the crossbar in anger, breaking it in two.   I made him pay for his own replacement stick and he never did it again.     

That said, these are pro athletes, maybe you fine them?   A penalty?   Nah.    They're humans, they have emotions, let them express themselves.

20 hours ago, SDS said:

I’m just thinking about the display that Lankinen put on last night. Slamming your stick down once is understandable. But when you put on a full display of smashing your stick against a goal post multiple times, at some point it’s really not a good look for the sport. 

gotta admit the stick smashing made the goal much better.  Now it can be a meme!

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.