Devon Levi watch, update: he's returning to college

LGR4GM

30 minutes ago, kas23 said:

This depends. As it stands, the future starting goalie position is UPL’s to lose. He really doesn’t need to prove himself, just not downright suck. If Portillo signs, he’s the next man up. After being in professional ranks, it’s now Portillo’s position to lose. This is assuming we’re going to go with a goalie 1A and 1B. With a whole year of professional development, Levi would really have to outplay Portillo to leapfrog him. If they display similar skill at the professional level, which is entire possible, the nod will go to Portillo. A level playing field is what Levi is giving up if he doesn’t sign this year. 

Good point. Add this to the fact that going back to college is likely not going to advance his development in any significant way.

It’s in the best interest of Levi’s career to sign right now. (Which is not the same thing as what’s in the best interest of his life.)

Given what we’ve seen of Adams’ approach to his college players, I would not be surprised in the slightest if he told Devon to take the weekend to decompress and process what just happened and they’d get together today to talk about his options.

I suspect the Sabres will give him 3 options: return to school; agree to an ELC but put off signing it to take a PTO to finish the season in Rochester; sign an ELC and report to Buffalo immediately. They will discuss each option, tell him how much they love him and avoid pressing him.

If he’s signing - and I think he will - I suspect we will hear about it soon.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

On the other hand, he's been immersed in his current (college) team.  They're his friends, his hockey family.  The Sabres are an abstraction to him.  I saw someone ask him about how much he paid attention to the Sabres and he said essentially "very little."

Having just come out of the tournament I think it's likely he needs some time to decompress and think about his future.  At this point he might not even know whether he will return to college for another year.

Buccigross asked him in that plant interview if he follows a lot of Buffalo right now and he said yes and no and that he is focusing on NE right now. That was before the tournament game.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Everyone is aware that it is 2 1/2 years before Levi can do a Cal Petersen, right?

August 15th 2024. 45 days into free agency in the summer of 2024 he can declare himself a UFA. He has a better chance of seeing league minimum offers than anything a 2nd year pro would get.

Dumbest route he could possible take if he wants to make hockey a career.

14 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

August 15th 2024. 45 days into free agency in the summer of 2024 he can declare himself a UFA. He has a better chance of seeing league minimum offers than anything a 2nd year pro would get.

Honestly how is this a dumb decision ? He gets to pick his own team and gets paid 

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Honestly how is this a dumb decision ? He gets to pick his own team and gets paid 

You are assuming every team will want him and he can have his choice. Then there is the money lost in waiting 2 years that he can never recover. 

edit.

Remember, the knock on him is he would be a small short goalie for the NHL. He needs to prove he can cut it.

Edited by woods-racer

42 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

A countdown should be placed on the homepage. 

9 hours ago, Curt said:

I hope Devon Levi is watching the Sabres tonight so he can see exactly what stands between him and NHL playing time.

I was wondering if the Sabres give their prospects an ESPN+ subscription? If Levi was watching last night, he's got to be thinking "man, I could be starting for these guys right now!"

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I have a feeling it’s coming down to Levi wants to burn a year off His ELC and get some games in Buffalo, while Adams wants Him in Rochester on an ATO to preserve the year 

Probably. But is Levi willing to go back to NE and wait another year for the NHL? At least if he goes to the AHL he takes the next step in his career; better competition, opportunity for the NHL, closer to a large contract, gets to make some money. I just don't see why he'd go back when's he's clearly outgrown the college level and to a NE team that may be good but isn't going to win it all.

58 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I have a feeling it’s coming down to Levi wants to burn a year off His ELC and get some games in Buffalo, while Adams wants Him in Rochester on an ATO to preserve the year 

After watching Toker last night, I am on board with giving him NHL games.

Sign Portillo as well and let the 3 way battle begin.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

You are waiting to start an ELC.  For Goalies?  It's probably a bit different as the traditional pathway requires about 100 games at a minor league level anyway.  

Cal Petersen is 27 and signed through 2023.  

ELC - 2yr 1.85M

2019 - 3yr 2.575M - He'd made 11 NHL starts to this point.

2021 - 3yr 15M

So through 2020-2021 season in the same draft - Jarry earned 6.625M with 2 remaining years at 8M total), and he'll be a free agent in 2023.  Petersen earned 4.425M and has 3 years remaining at 15M total and will be a free agent in 2024.  

Development path isn't everything obviously - Petersen started 110 games in college, Jarry 55 games in WHL followed by 78 games in AHL.  Jarry played in 62 NHL games through 2020, while peterson played in 19.  I don't know which is right - Jarry is the better player, but i don't know that either development path is preferable.  

38 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm officially worried 😕

Why are you worried? He is either signing or going back for another season of college. At the end of that year he still is Sabres property. If at the end of next season he decides to go back yet again then he will never be the type of person to lead you anywhere anyways. Then you trade him at that point.

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo gives him one of the best options to win the starting job, and is an up and coming young team. He said so himself in September:

"I was super happy with the trade, going to Buffalo. It's a great opportunity to play for such a great program that's had a tradition of success in the past, especially with Ryan Miller playing there. There's just so much there that I'm really excited for.”

Edited by Gatorman0519
  • Thanks (+1) 3