2022 Offseason Game Plan

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Except that is contrary to KA stated goal of getting a proven D to play/mentor Power.

While 10 games is a small sample size, 47 games of sub 900 save% is no longer a small sample size but a bad trend.  

How is adding a boychuk contract opposite to KA goal? 

Yea and half those games have been played on an AHL with almost no defense. Again, I'd put UPL in the NHL and see what he has. I think Portillo and Levi will be better. 

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Girgs and Asplund might be odd guys out IF they want to bring in some different guys. I like both guys though so I wouldn’t mind them being back. I think they would probably like a high end Hayden. Someone who brings Hayden’s game but with better skills to go with it.

I hope they invest in a quality top 4 RHD and an NHL starter with the cap space they need to spend.

Who is this, and how do they obtain this asset?  Does Marcus Foligno fit the bill?  If so how much does he cost in a trade? 

21 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Who is this, and how do they obtain this asset?  Does Marcus Foligno fit the bill?  If so how much does he cost in a trade? 

Hayden doesn't bring any skill but size.  We can upgrade the 4th line by moving on from Girgensons, Eakin, Bjork etc  by bringing in guys like Eller, Compher, and Foligno.

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

How is adding a boychuk contract opposite to KA goal? 

Yea and half those games have been played on an AHL with almost no defense. Again, I'd put UPL in the NHL and see what he has. I think Portillo and Levi will be better. 

It's contrary to the goal because it's a waste on money, even cap money. It's past time for this team to turn the corner and adding another dead contract to get to the cap floor does nothing to make us more competitve.

As to UPL the backup, I don't disagree that this is likely KA's plan, but unfortunately that decision will put us back into the same situation where we are now.  I put it as plain as I can.  Right now UPL is a below replacement NHL goaltender and a mediocre AHL goaltender.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

50 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hayden doesn't bring any skill but size.  We can upgrade the 4th line by moving on from Girgensons, Eakin, Bjork etc  by bringing in guys like Eller, Compher, and Foligno.

3 guys playing in the middle 6 of playoff teams, each making well over  $3 million per and averaging 13 goals apiece right now?

Who has guys like that on their 4th line?

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

3 guys playing in the middle 6 of playoff teams, each making well over  $3 million per and averaging 13 goals apiece right now?

Who has guys like that on their 4th line?

Most teams can't afford middle class depth like that.  We can and that's kind of the point.  Eller is playing a 3rd line role in Wash, a role I believe they'll want McMichael to take as they cut cap.  Compher is in a similar situation in Colorado. Minn also has to cut costs to cover their 13 mill dead cap.  We have the cap space to take on good veterans with term but who are cap casualties.

What I'm trying to build is effective veteran depth that can move up and down the lineup as needed, or as chemistry dictates and roll 4 lines when everyone is healthy.  I don't want a traditional scrub line, but instead a line like Hecht Gaustad and Grier.

I envision a Thomspon line, a Cozens line, a Mitts line and a Eller line.  I don't care who plays how many minutes as long they are effective.  This should help us weather injuries, continue to build the competitive culture, and make us hard to defend.  It will also compensate for the lack of the traditional franchise center which we don't have.

When I ran the numbers, the team's cap figure was 66.5 mill

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's contrary to the goal because it's a waste on money, even cap money. It's past time for this team to turn the corner and adding another dead contract to get to the cap floor does nothing to make us more competitve.

As to UPL the backup, I don't disagree that this is likely KA's plan, but unfortunately that decision will put us back into the same situation where we are now.  I put it as plain as I can.  Right now UPL is a below replacement NHL goaltender and a mediocre AHL goaltender.  

We don't agree

We will try to sign Subban or Letang to something rich.  They just might bite. 

We will throw money at Bergeron and Giroux but come up short.  May way overpay for a Kadri or Strome and that’s okay.  Cap floor no issue. 

Oloffson will be traded out or let go. Hinostroza kept around, but for nothing consequential 

Levi will go pro and all will be unicorns and rainbows. Anderson gets paid to come back just in case and for something rich. Cap space be damned. 

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Minnesota isn’t trading Foligno.

I think Girgensons is fine, guy works hard and has adequate speed and skill

Zemgus has the best defensive metrics on the team, followed by Asplund I would not move on from either. 

I would consider bringing back Johan Larsson to form a shutdown line with those two. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Zemgus has the best defensive metrics on the team, followed by Asplund I would not move on from either. 

I would consider bringing back Johan Larsson to form a shutdown line with those two. 

Having something like the LOG line to drive the other teams' best line nuts can be very important.  I absolutely would try to do this.

On to this offseason.

The Sabres have 3 1sts (ours, LV and Fla), our 2nd, our 3rd, our 4th, NJ's 5th, 2 6ths (ours and Calg) and our 7th.

Questions for the last 19 games that could influence the off-season game plan:

1)  Do Hinostroza, Anderson and Pysyk continue to play well and KA tries to re-sign them this off-season. 

2) How well do Mitts and VO play down the stretch.  Mitts is coming back regardless, but his role for next year could be greatly influenced.  The better VO plays the better his RFA contract offer will be.  DeBrusk's 8 mill extension I think sets the low bar for VO's next deal.

3) UPL's play down the stretch in Rochester could also alter KA's thinking for next season, especially if he struggles.

4) Power, Levi and Portillo.  I think all will be signed as soon as their seasons end.  Portillo has been fantastic down the stretch for Michigan.

The Sabres could be a playoff caliber team with 4, possibly 5 moves in the offseason imo

Sign Trochek

Sign Forsberg 

Sign Gudbranson

Sign Keumper 

Trade for Gorgiev...he wants out apparently

The rest deals with re signing their own FAs and bringing in the college guys etc

23 minutes ago, Norcal said:

The Sabres could be a playoff caliber team with 4, possibly 5 moves in the offseason imo

Sign Trochek

Sign Forsberg 

Sign Gudbranson

Sign Keumper 

The rest deals with re signing their own FAs and bringing in the college guys etc

I like it, I think, but lets see ...

Never happen

Never happen

Never happen

Never happen

Maybe happen

Yes

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Sign Trochek

Sign Forsberg 

Sign Gudbranson

Sign Keumper 

Which Forsberg?  The goalie re-signed in Ott and is staying there? I have no problem signing Keumper and Gudbranson, but will they sign here?  I don't mind acquiring Georgiev as I don't think UPL is NHL ready.  I wanted Torcheck when he was traded to Florida, but where does he play? Our Top 9 for next year looks close to set with Cozens, Mitts and Thompson down the middle and Tuch, Skinner, KO, VO, Quinn and Krebs on the wings and JJP waiting in the wings.

I’d throw money at Kuemper and Letang to come here on 2 year deals. Kuemper, want 2x6.5, come to Buffalo. Letang, we’d be honored if you’d mentor Power for a couple years; how does 18.5mil over 2 years sound to you?

Acquire on the cheap, Hornqvist

Suddenly your roster looks like a threat for a playoff spot

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Which Forsberg?  The goalie re-signed in Ott and is staying there? I have no problem signing Keumper and Gudbranson, but will they sign here?  I don't mind acquiring Georgiev as I don't think UPL is NHL ready.  I wanted Torcheck when he was traded to Florida, but where does he play? Our Top 9 for next year looks close to set with Cozens, Mitts and Thompson down the middle and Tuch, Skinner, KO, VO, Quinn and Krebs on the wings and JJP waiting in the wings.

Filip Forsberg. I thought that was obvious. 

You sign Trochek and Forsberg and let it take care of itself.

If the players you mentioned are better, then they'll play. 

Those two immediately raise the lineup into a playoff caliber unit imo

Money talks most likely so we'll see if the Sabres are ready to make those kind of moves yet. 

As a disclaimer.....Very few assets were harmed in the making of these moves. 

Let us see.  Assuming just internal promotions, the roster next year (warts and all) looks like:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch / Peterka-Krebs-Quinn / Cozens-Mittlestadt-Olofsson / Asplund-Hinostroza-Girgensons-Okposo-Ruotsalainen

Dahlin-Bryson / Power-Pysyk / Samuelsson-Jokiharu / Johnson-Fitzgerald

Pekka-Lukkonnen / Levi / Portillo / Subban / Tokarski

Glaring weaknesses: 1 RD, 2 RD, 1 G, 2G

Problems: forward depth, defencive defencemen, proven NHL goaltending.

Overloads: LD

We might need to move a pair of LHDs for RHDs.  Ideally, Pysyk would slide to #7 for me, although maybe he's the short-term partner for Dahlin or Power.

I feel very funky about having Tokarski on the big club.  UPL is still iffy for me.  Levi and Portillo are a few years away.  I don't know where or if Subban fits anywhere.

Let's have at it...

56 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Here’s my ideal team next year

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3148022

Hinostroza isn’t on there but he’s be another potential depth piece

The biggest issue with any UFA based projection for next year is getting top UFAs to come to a team that has been in the dumpster for a decade.  

6 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Not sure if they’d won more games but the last 10 years may have been a lot more fun if they stuck with  Nic, Foligno, Carrier and Kassian.  

You wouldn't get an argument from me. 

The Sabres have missed that type of player since Deslauriers and Foligno left in my opinion. 

Minnesota understood that and paid up for Deslauriers. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The biggest issue with any UFA based projection for next year is getting top UFAs to come to a team that has been in the dumpster for a decade.  

The two main UFAs are Letang and Kuemper which I'm overpaying rather nicely. I'd likely try to get Hornqvist first and use him to help Letang come here.

If you can't get Letang, go get Gudas(cheaply) or even pay up for Mayfield perhaps?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.