Who Should Be Power’s D Partner?

Flashsabre

Friedman says that Adams is actively working the phones looking for the proper d partner to mentor Power when he arrives.

Realistically who do you think that should be?

A free agent like Manson or a home Run free agent like Letang, a very good dman from a team in cap trouble, maybe Minny has to move Dumba, a cap dump like Myers. Maybe a guy like Larsson from Seattle that would partner with Dahlin and move Joker with Power.

Power will be a top 4 right away so you need a dman that can play top 4.

I have no idea who they will target but it will be interesting to see. They have the cap and assets to really be in play for anyone.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

Ryan Suter.  Older, but can still play and will be cheaper on a 2 year deal to give Power the stability he needs to learn the game in the NHL.  He is listed as LD, but I thought he played RD in Minnesota.

Letang will cost a lot, but the Sabres have a lot of cap room.  He is young enough to be the added quality veteran that will help stablize the young D.

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

Interesting name. What are his defensive metrics like? I feel Power will need a partner who is strong in his own end. Klingberg will demand a ton in FA so I only see it as worthwhile if he is good defensively.

I think Power will be fine in his own end and needs an offensive veteran to help with breakouts and teaching Power the offensive side more.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

Regardless of "who" specifically comes to mind.  Would the possibility of being partnered with Power somehow be an enticement for attracting talent that would otherwise not have Buffalo on their preferred list?

I think Dahlin as your partner but attract someone like Klingberg but Buffalo is 11 years out of playoffs, no one really wants to come here. 

They mentioned Big Z on the Instigators. 
does he have experience of the Right? 

Borgen is still the 7th Dman in Seattle.   
I’m sure they want to increase their organizations prospect pool.  Sabres have prospects and draft picks to make the deal happen 

Edited by Crusader1969

45 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

They mentioned Big Z on the Instigators. 
does he have experience of the Right? 

Borgen is still the 7th Dman in Seattle.   
I’m sure they want to increase their organizations prospect pool.  Sabres have prospects and draft picks to make the deal happen 

Chara is not going to be able to play Top 4 Minutes. 

Justin Braun, Troy Stecher and Radko Gudas in a trade should be targets 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Dahlin as your partner but attract someone like Klingberg but Buffalo is 11 years out of playoffs, no one really wants to come here. 

Good point, it has not worked out with finding a partner for Dahlin thus far.  Perhaps we need to sign a proven netminder before people might take notice.

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Friedman says that Adams is actively working the phones looking for the proper d partner to mentor Power when he arrives.

Realistically who do you think that should be?

A free agent like Manson or a home Run free agent like Letang, a very good dman from a team in cap trouble, maybe Minny has to move Dumba, a cap dump like Myers. Maybe a guy like Larsson from Seattle that would partner with Dahlin and move Joker with Power.

Power will be a top 4 right away so you need a dman that can play top 4.

I have no idea who they will target but it will be interesting to see. They have the cap and assets to really be in play for anyone.

Maybe Tyler Myers...that way Power has literally somebody he can "look up to" 😁

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Power will be fine in his own end and needs an offensive veteran to help with breakouts and teaching Power the offensive side more.

I've always thought we should pair 1 offensive D with a more defensive minded player for balance. So ideally in the future i'd like a Joki/Dahlin type paired with Power.

But Power's 1st season i can see how having a seasoned veteran paired with him would be a great idea.

• Like (+1) 1

Anaheim has UFA Manson RH at the end of this season and UFA RH Shattenkirk at the end of next. I assume they want Shattenkirk for the same reason we do -- the veteran mentor for their young core. But if they elect to extend Lindholm and Manson, would Shattenkirk waive an NTC for one year to perform the same role with the Sabres (and maybe the offer a good extension)?

I'd prefer Manson or Braun as targets in the offseason.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.