Dylan Cozens Fined for Crosschecking

LGR4GM

9 hours ago, kas23 said:

A subtle shoulder, right in front of him, vs a guy skating away, defenses down, and having a stick used to buckle his legs and have him go face first into the boards. Nope, not dirty. Not only was it dirty, it was cowardly. 

Nelson tried to end Dylan’s ability to have kids.  I don’t blame him for any type of retaliation.  This team’s prolonged softness has crept into the fanbase.  

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Weave said:

I’m guessing there was ALOT of chirping from behind and he wouldn’t turn and face his accuser.  Wouldn’t answer the bell.

My take on that crosscheck location is different than yours.  It was a cross check down, lower back area.  Well protected by the equipment they wear.  He absolutely did want to drop him.  But if he wanted to injure, knees and head are alot more obvious than a well padded core.

Then it wouldn’t look like a hockey play. You saw what he got: a 2 minute minor for cross checking.

I said he was a coward not stupid 

Just now, inkman said:

Nelson tried to end Dylan’s ability to have kids.  I don’t blame him for any type of retaliation.  This team’s prolonged softness has crept into the fanbase.  

Based on the clip Nelson barely did anything 

We finally have a guy that plays the way the rest of the league does and half the board thinks he’s a scumbag. In my mind, the Sabres have 20 years worth of receiving dirty hits, stick work and just filthy behavior to catch up with. I applaud any behavior like Dylan’s.  

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Based on the clip Nelson barely did anything 

Even better.  They touch you with their stick, spear them in the junk. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Then it wouldn’t look like a hockey play. You saw what he got: a 2 minute minor for cross checking.

I’m not sure what you are trying to say here.

On ice officials mete out justice all the time, using context to make penalty calls.  I expect alot of our issues with officiating is related to whether or not we recognize the context (or if we saw it and they didn’t). I wouldn’t be surprised if they saw the spear and decided 2 minutes was plenty of punishment for a reaction to a spear that didn’t quite meet their standards for a penalty.

Just now, inkman said:

We finally have a guy that plays the way the rest of the league does and half the board thinks he’s a scumbag. In my mind, the Sabres have 20 years worth of receiving dirty hits, stick work and just filthy behavior to catch up with. I applaud any behavior like Dylan’s.  

That’s fine - we see it differently. I find there’s always the most disagreement, for whatever reason, when it comes to fighting/dirty play type stuff. 

I’ve been watching for almost 30 years. I know the score. Didn’t like the play - honestly, to my recollection it’s one of the most notable dirty plays I’ve seen a Sabres player make in that time frame 🤷‍♂️ 

Just now, Weave said:

On ice officials mete out justice all the time, using context to make penalty calls.  I expect alot of our issues with officiating is related to whether or not we recognize the context (or if we saw it and they didn’t). I wouldn’t be surprised if they saw the spear and decided 2 minutes was plenty of punishment for a reaction to a spear that didn’t quite meet their standards for a penalty.

Well if that’s truly what their thinking was I’d be happy to explain to them why they are wrong after they make their Sabrespace accounts 

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Weave said:

Here is where the rubber meets the road. The NHL still operates with on ice justice rather than calling things that are actual penalties. Any use of the stick as a weapon should be penalized but the NHL clearly still operates under the old ideology where players should still police themselves.  The Sabres haven’t done ANY of that since… Kaleta… maybe?  

Edited by inkman

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Sure he will.

I was referring to Nelson.  I doubt he messes with Cozens again.  He knew Cozens wanted to even the score and he retreated like a little baby.    

The islanders have a lot of very tough players, none of them were as outraged as some of the fans here are.  

Hockey can be a violent game at times. If we ever make the playoffs again some of our fans might have adjust to it.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I was referring to Nelson.  I doubt he messes with Cozens again.  He knew Cozens wanted to even the score and he retreated like a little baby.    

The islanders have a lot of very tough players, none of them were as outraged as some of the fans here are.  

Hockey can be a violent game at times. If we ever make the playoffs again some of our fans might have adjust to it.  

So was I. Nelson will not hesitate to take cheap shots, on Cozens or anyone else. Do you think that was the first time he got paid back for something?

In fact now Nelson knows Cozens takes bad penalties. He'll file that nugget away for some future opportune moment.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Weave said:

I’m guessing there was ALOT of chirping from behind and he wouldn’t turn and face his accuser.  Wouldn’t answer the bell.

My take on that crosscheck location is different than yours.  It was a cross check down, lower back area.  Well protected by the equipment they wear.  He absolutely did want to drop him.  But if he wanted to injure, knees and head are alot more obvious than a well padded core.

I agree here, while the crosscheck was cowardly I don't think it was truly an intent to seriously injure the guy. It could have gone wrong and Cozens would have been looking down some career altering "prior offender" status. (see: Kaleta) I still say confront Nelson to his face next time they're out, or even try to hook Granato into putting him out opposite Nelson on the next face-off.

4 hours ago, inkman said:

Even better.  They touch you with their stick, spear them in the junk. 

I also think half that league are scumbags, with the league's tacit encouragement. It's all part of the complex calculus of the NHL that leads me to not watch many games.

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Per the bold, that’s an interesting point. Was Cozens chirping at Nelson, calling him out as he skated towards him? And was Nelson too cowardly to accept the invitation? If so, that makes Nelson even more of a coward after cowardly sticking someone in the jewels from behind and not having the courage to accept the consequences. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, MattPie said:

I agree here, while the crosscheck was cowardly I don't think it was truly an intent to seriously injure the guy. It could have gone wrong and Cozens would have been looking down some career altering "prior offender" status. (see: Kaleta) I still say confront Nelson to his face next time they're out, or even try to hook Granato into putting him out opposite Nelson on the next face-off.

I also think half that league are scumbags, with the league's tacit encouragement. It's all part of the complex calculus of the NHL that leads me to not watch many games.

There’s always curling. Hockey is a game of intimidation. Always has been and based on the amount the league ignores in the playoffs, it always will be. If the league allows guys like Nelson to get away with almost neutering a player then guys like Dylan have to settle scores. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, bunomatic said:

There’s always curling. Hockey is a game of intimidation. Always has been and based on the amount the league ignores in the playoffs, it always will be. If the league allows guys like Nelson to get away with almost neutering a player then guys like Dylan have to settle scores. 

That USA / Great Britain game was excellent! 

Surprised Gushue lost in the semis 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

So was I. Nelson will not hesitate to take cheap shots, on Cozens or anyone else. Do you think that was the first time he got paid back for something?

In fact now Nelson knows Cozens takes bad penalties. He'll file that nugget away for some future opportune moment.

No one is worried about Brock Nelson.  He has 20+ pounds on Cozens and yet he ran away like a frightened Jack rabbit, then he did nothing afterward even though he had half of the game to answer.  

There was no retaliation from Martin or Chara either.  Perhaps the Islanders are less offended than some of our fans?    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Per the bold, that’s an interesting point. Was Cozens chirping at Nelson, calling him out as he skated towards him? And was Nelson too cowardly to accept the invitation? If so, that makes Nelson even more of a coward after cowardly sticking someone in the jewels from behind and not having the courage to accept the consequences. 

Yes, Cozens was chasing him down.  Nelson is listed at 212 lbs, Cozens at 189.  Nelson drew a penalty then had 30 minutes of hockey left to answer the bell.  

The refs missed Nelson’s cheap shot and they caught Cozens.  Cozens deserved the fine.   Youthful exuberance.  

This should now be over.  

12 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Just to be clear, as someone who did not like the play by Cozens, my issue was not that Cozens retaliated.  I think that everyone here wants to see push back from the Sabres.

My issue was that it was a dirty, dangerous play.  Cross checking in the back, headfirst towards the boards.  There are many ways to “settle the score” without it being a dangerous play like that.  Those of you with hockey playing kids, I doubt it’s the type of play that you would like to see your son/daughter make.  Honestly, I don’t even care if he is dirty, I just acknowledge that it’s a game, and I want everyone to walk away whole at the end of it.  A couple people have pointed out that the way Cozens did it with a downward motion was unlikely to propel Nelson into the boards, and I can appreciate that.  It maybe wasn’t quite as bad as I originally thought.

However, what I am finding most interesting about this whole situation is that it seems many people here don’t have a problem with dirty, even dangerous, plays as long as it’s the Sabres dishing it out.  I highly suspect that if it was an opposing player who did the exact same thing to a Sabre, a lot of those same people would be crowing about how dirty that scumbag Cozens is.  Maybe I’m wrong, but this is the impression I get.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Just to be clear, as someone who did not like the play by Cozens, my issue was not that Cozens retaliated.  I think that everyone here wants to see push back from the Sabres.

My issue was that it was a dirty, dangerous play.  Cross checking in the back, headfirst towards the boards.  There are many ways to “settle the score” without it being a dangerous play like that.  Those of you with hockey playing kids, I doubt it’s the type of play that you would like to see your son/daughter make.  Honestly, I don’t even care if he is dirty, I just acknowledge that it’s a game, and I want everyone to walk away whole at the end of it.  A couple people have pointed out that the way Cozens did it with a downward motion was unlikely to propel Nelson into the boards, and I can appreciate that.  It maybe wasn’t quite as bad as I originally thought.

However, what I am finding most interesting about this whole situation is that it seems many people here don’t have a problem with dirty, even dangerous, plays as long as it’s the Sabres dishing it out.  I highly suspect that if it was an opposing player who did the exact same thing to a Sabre, a lot of those same people would be crowing about how dirty that scumbag Cozens is.  Maybe I’m wrong, but this is the impression I get.

Impression?

It’s being stated outright lol

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Not me. If Cozens had shivved an unsuspecting opponent in the nuts from behind while the guy was heading up ice with his back turned, I’d have totally understood why Cozens got cross-checked in the back in retaliation. It would have been well earned and deserved. 

40 minutes ago, Curt said:

Based on how he cross checked him I’d say he was looking to inflict pain but not board him. He could of tried and end the guy’s career there with a check at the nameplate. So obviously Cozens wasn’t in a blind rage. I do think Cozens was jawing with him up the ice and Nelson just outright refused to pay for his aggressive “cup check” hence the lower back cross check which would be unlikely to injure Nelson but still give a message. Sometimes you need to do that.

I’d tell him to be less obvious next time however. Granted the first time needs to be more public as it sends a message to other players that Cozens isn’t a wallflower. 

Lastly, Cozens doesn’t become a scumbag unless he begins doing this on a consistent basis and/or doing even more egregious actions. He didn’t knee Nelson in the head or slew foot him into the corner. Lower back cross checks are actually a common defenseman tactic as with proper hand placement you can get away with it rather easily.

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.