GDT Islanders at Sabres, Feb. 15, 2022, 7pm, MSG, WGR.

Eleven

Good win, the aisles were gassed for the last 10 minutes and they took advantage.

Great building block win for the young guys. 

Cozens with 3 apples.

Pysyk was solid all game.

Tuch is better than I thought he could be.

Krebs is nifty, I still see some Gilmour minus the stick work.

I can’t believe DG kept putting out Eakin vs Barzal. He also put out Eakin’s line for an offensive zone draw when the game was tied. I am trying not to be negative after a win but Eakin played too much. Bjork does nothing. Quinn and Peterka would bump up the talent level by a huge amount.

Beat the Sens and have a three win streak boys!

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I will say this:

There is constant hate on this forum for Anders Bjork.  But you know what role he plays on this team?  He's Kyle Okposo on the 2019-20 Sabres.  He plays wing on the shutdown line, puts in a pretty darned good defensive effort most nights.  We all had hope that Bjork would be a scoring winger and he will get a few here and there, but really, he's a shutdown/PK kind of player who will occasionally chip in on a goal.

The effort is almost always there; his biggest problem is that he has a tendency of running around. When he settles down he can be a solid defensive winger 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

honestly when the isles tied it late I thought we were done.

No I didn't see it that way at all.  I was hoping for a regulation win because we simply suck in OT, but I was still confident even after the Aisles tied it in the 3rd.

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Tuch is better than I thought he could be.

He doesn't have the flash of Eichel, but he has the production, at least this far.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

The effort is almost always there; his biggest problem is that he has a tendency of running around. When he settles down he can be a solid defensive winger 

And I would say the last handful of games, he's settled down some.  He's not my favorite player by any stretch and if he's gone after this year I won't miss him, but he hasn't deserved the scorn this forum has heaped on him.  We hoped he'd be comparable to Lazar.  He's not.  But he, like most of the the KA JAGs, do actually contribute.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

He hasn't scored but I can't say I hate Olofsson's game tonight.  He's made a number of smart plays.

I'm really glad he scored.  Big monkey off his back.

He's been better of late, but it's been incrementally better.... very small increments.  I hope this game breaks the seal and he returns to his old scoring ways.  I like the combination of Cozens, Krebs and Olofsson.  Cozens is a pusher, and instigator, a spark plug.  Krebs is a setup man.  And VO is a finisher.  If they can get VO finishing again we suddenly have another scoring line.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

They look like they're having fun out there finally, That was a huge goal by Olofsson and finally gets the weight lifted with the empty netter also. Since the All star break Dahlin has looked the best I've seen him and who knows he might turn into the player he was supposed to be. Tokarski has been really bad, I never thought he was great to begin with but that goal was terrible. Tuch has really amped everyone up you can tell, just how he is with everyone out there, he seems like a natural born leader imo. Great win!

Sometimes you have to give it to the shooter. Palmieri put that puck in a key hole, or maybe ear hole.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I'm really glad he scored.  Big monkey off his back.

And VO is a finisher.  If they can get VO finishing again we suddenly have another scoring line.

I was hard on VO earlier in this game thread but he finally buried one and it was glorious! Great game winning goal.

To me the highlight of the game was the shorthanded goal.  It was almost a metaphor of the team:  An opportunity shorthanded interrupted by a setback when Cozens and Tage collided, but they stuck with it and really dominated in a 2-on-5 situation.  Tage to Cozens for a great shot and Thompson there to authoritatively bury the rebound.  Whoa.  This team is getting a personality.  I think it starts with Tuch but it's rippling through the whole lineup.

• Like (+1) 4

Thought Cozens played a terrific game. 

Dahlin is playing with a level of confidence where he knows that he is a top tier player in this league. And based on his play, he is.

Tuch is such a terrific addition. In addition to being one of our best players he is embracing his role as a leader. 

The pass from Krebs to Olofsson was outstanding. 

Overall, I thought Tokarski played well. However, I thought the third  goal he gave up was a bad goal to give up. 

When the Islanders tied the score in the third period the Sabres didn't back off. 

Joki is playing well. 

As others have noted this team is fun to watch. 

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Tuch with 2 more points. Krebs with 2 more points. We win this trade dispute.

For today.

Quick:  Who led the Sabres in points tonight?  That's right, Dylan Cozens with 3 assists.  A goal would be nice but I'm glad he's seeing the score sheet.

As people have said, this team is fun to watch.

For me, for the first time in a long time I can see the puzzle for a good team. The outside pieces are all snapping together and there are enough pieces on the table to see it all fitting together.

Put your hands up if before the season you had Skinner and Tage part of a legit top line for the Sabres.

Tuch is a blessing. He won’t be as naturally talented as Jack but I think he will be more impactful to the team when you factor in on ice production, enthusiasm for the organization, leadership and culture building. Finally a captain that should be captain.

Guys like Cozens and Krebs are not yet wheee they will be as polished players but you see the flashes of what is to come.

My biggest takeaway is that the future core of Tuch, Tage, Dahlin, Cozens, Krebs, Quinn, Power all have good attitudes. I would add Mitts but the kid needs a to catch a health break first.

There is a lot of lifting to do still but I think the train is finally on the track. One of the young goalies stepping up (I think Levi) will be huge to taking the next step.

There is some more suffering to come but it is worth sitting through to watch them grow.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Tuch has really amped everyone up you can tell, just how he is with everyone out there, he seems like a natural born leader imo.

Give him the C or not, it doesn't matter.  He's the captain of this team.  And that's a good thing because he's clearly ready for it, and it will take the pressure off the younger talent.  Eventually other leaders will emerge.

6 hours ago, woods-racer said:

Hopefully it's *Holy S**T OLOFSSON SCORED!*

You called it.  You win Sabrespace tonight.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I will say this:

There is constant hate on this forum for Anders Bjork.  But you know what role he plays on this team?  He's Kyle Okposo on the 2019-20 Sabres.  He plays wing on the shutdown line, puts in a pretty darned good defensive effort most nights.  We all had hope that Bjork would be a scoring winger and he will get a few here and there, but really, he's a shutdown/PK kind of player who will occasionally chip in on a goal.

I dunno man. He’s mostly below replacement level when I watch him.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Ok, I know I'm beating the same old drum, but is Anderson to old to play two games in a row with a day between or what. This game easily could have gone to overtime or even a loss for us if it hadn't been for Dahlia's empty net save when Tokarski was out in left field. Despite all that it was a very fun game to watch. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.