Sabres place Will Butcher on IR

Brawndo

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Thanks you coming.  Hope you get well and can continue your career elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Will who? 

*****-tier jokes in an injury thread.  Top notch.

He had posted only 53 seconds of ice time since returning from his other injury.  When it happened, it looked like high-ankle or knee. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Good luck and God bless Will.  You weren’t very good at hockey and I don’t believe in God (well the traditional sense anyway) but I’m sure you are a nice young man. Take care.

Please don’t resign this guy.

You are slipping Inky.  Either that or a not very goodly typer has hacked your account.

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

You are slipping Inky.  Either that or a not very goodly typer has hacked your account.

re-sign

verb (2)

\ (ˌ)rē-ˈsīn  \

re-signed; re-signing; re-signs

Definition of re-sign (Entry 2 of 2)

transitive verb

: to sign again especially : to rehire (someone, such as an athlete) by means of a signed contract

What am I missing? 

4 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

re-sign

verb (2)

\ (ˌ)rē-ˈsīn  \

transitive verb

: to sign again especially : to rehire (someone, such as an athlete) by means of a signed contract

What am I missing? 

Inky missed the hyphen, which he never does.

He doesn't want this guy to resign from him job.

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

I wish he was still playing.

He may not be what this team needs on defense but he had some trade deadline value and that's gone now. I also never want to see a player get a serious injury no matter how well/poor I deem his play.

What "serious"? He'll be fine. Just a hockey injury. Not like the guy has cancer or something. That'd be different.

As for "trade value" you're joking right? Guy couldn't even crack our line up full time, who'd want him at even half that salary?  

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

What "serious"? He'll be fine. Just a hockey injury. Not like the guy has cancer or something. That'd be different.

As for "trade value" you're joking right? Guy couldn't even crack our line up full time, who'd want him at even half that salary?  

My thoughts,  exactly... but stranger things happen every deadline, no?

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

I noticed that on my second read through. Gonna let it stand to show my vulnerabilities.  I think I was too geeked about how funny my post was.  Apparently, only a couple of ya agree. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, woods-racer said:

re-sign

verb (2)

\ (ˌ)rē-ˈsīn  \

transitive verb

What am I missing? 

One time, I wrote on rec.arts.drwho that BBC forced John Nathan-Turner stay on as producer with "J-NT resigns and re-signs."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, woods-racer said:

I wish he was still playing.

He may not be what this team needs on defense

And this isn't even necessarily the case.  Needs might be a strong word, but by doing the math on the defensive pairings for this post, a few notes about Butcher came out from that.

1. The partner he played the most minutes with was Dahlin as a lefty-lefty pair, which is abnormal for the Sabres, and that pair didn't perform well.  But it wasn't as bad as Dahlin-Joker or Dahlin-Miller.
  2. Butcher's next-most minutes was with Hagg, also a lefty-lefty pair, and that was worse.
  3. However, for a brief time, Butcher was Joker's best partner (finally a lefty-righty pair for Butcher).  While they allowed a lot of shots overall (high CA/60, against the Sabres' apparent doctrine of limiting CA/60 and xGA/60), they created a lot of high-danger shots for the Sabres (HDCF/60), resulting in one of the highest xGF% pairs we ever tried.
  4. Butcher was also Pysyk's best partner (also a lefty-righty pair).  They were one of the best pairs at limiting CA/60 (well within Sabres' doctrine).
  5. When paired with Bryson, Joker, or Pysyk, Butcher allowed the fewest high danger shots against (HDCA/60) and allowed zero high danger goals (HDGA/60).  He's solid in front of his own net.
  6. The downside of his game is two-fold.
    1. His pairings's performance aren't overall perfect, they all lack in one area or another.  For example, he plays well defensively with Pysyk, but that pair doesn't generate the much in the way of shots for (CF/60) or the or goals for (GF/60).  But as mentioned in the other thread, this hasn't mattered to the coaches.
    2. Butcher has been sheltered as fuuuuuck.  His player usage puts at the most sheltered player on the team (maybe along with R2), and this is on a team that doesn't typically line-match competition.  Butcher noticeably has a the highest OZ% and the lowest QoC.  His usage is way weird and it's unclear why.

I hope he heals up soon.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/2/2022 at 2:57 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Oh yes, 3 million dollars for doing what he does (doesn't?) we should all feel so sorry for poor injured Will. Good riddance. 

Geez.  He's a young man who's looking at a career-threatening injury that is pretty likely to jeopardize his ability to keep his dream job.  Yes, he was lousy here, but this seems pretty over the top.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.