OT -- North East Coast Weather

Marvin

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

The storm was pretty bad last night and this morning we are still under a blowing snow and wind warning.

Power held, which is the most important thing always.  We are seriously thinking of a generator to keep us going during all these storms we have been having.

Recommend multi fuel... they make propane, gasoline, diesel combos.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

The storm was pretty bad last night and this morning we are still under a blowing snow and wind warning.

Power held, which is the most important thing always.  We are seriously thinking of a generator to keep us going during all these storms we have been having.

Just dont go too big. I have a 1800/2200 that does everything i need at about a gallon a day. And it’s really quiet. I know some people that wanted to power everything like the power never went out. They didn’t realize how much fuel that uses and ran out after about two hours and spent the next 2 days in the dark because they ran out of gas😂.

• Thanks (+1) 1

23 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Recommend multi fuel... they make propane, gasoline, diesel combos.

With any generator setup, please remember to have a proper installation done according to the electrical code of your region.

This protects you insurance wise in the event of a problem and protects the powerline workers from unwanted back feed. I know guys that have been seriously injured by improper generator installations.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Yes you can purchase some sort of electrical box shut off switch installed by an electrician..

Transfer switch. Usually they are manually operated and you fire up the generator and plug it in. Automatic systems are expensive but they turn on immediately when supply is lost. The main brand in Ontario is called Generac and they can run on Propane, diesel, gas or natural gas.

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Another big one coming for Rochester/Buffalo this week. Winter storm watch posted for Rochester from Wed night through Fri morning. 

You sould be concerned with the local weather Mr. Real Balls Creek.

At least we can always count on Frankie.  He is the best warner we have.

• Haha (+1) 1

Rain Storm today and overnight.  Ice Storm all day tomorrow starting at 08:00.  It's going to be fun.  And the whole mess is going to freeze rock solid overnight tomorrow and Saturday will be -15 degrees.

Edited by The Ghost of Doohickie
more goodly ...
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ogre said:

How much experience do you have doing either one of those jobs?

I have a friend who runs big machinery in the summers for ground work and plows in the winter and it all sounds ***** miserable when he talks about it.  His body is halfway to busted and he's like 35. He loves his work but "easy" is not the word I'd use.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Rain Storm today and overnight.  Ice Storm all day tomorrow starting at 08:00.  It's going to be fun.  And the whole mess is going to freeze rock solid overnight tomorrow and Saturday will be -15 degrees.

Yep.  We just did that.  Rain all day yesterday, turned to sleet overnight, turned to snow just before lunch time.  Down to the teens Fahrenheit tonight.  In a house built for 100°F (which makes up for the fact that we're not going to get quite as cold as you).  Yeehaw.

Stay safe, NS.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.