GDT: Sabres @ Nashville MSG 8 PM EST

bob_sauve28

19 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Hello Teamnates, Punch checking in. 

I have been watching the game while connecting, testing, and listening to my newly restored Marantz 2270 stereo receiver.  This one was built in 1976, one of the last ones built according to serial numbers.  

This now completely restored classic should last another 50 years.  Back in the day, Marantz was known for beauty, high quality,  and great sound.  I think this particular restoration is amazing and captured the sound of it’s day.  That new components are still breaking in and impressing me.  This little beauty can easily fill a big room with great sound. It has two phono inputs (great for vinyl lovers), one aux input and two tape inputs - the later three inputs are line inputs compatible with any of today’s modern audio devices - CD/DVD, outboard DACs, blue tooth streaming devices, etc. . 

It can drive two speaker sets which means a sub (or two) is easy to do.  The preamp and power amp can be separated on the back panel if you have better separate components to match up with it.  It had a AM/FM tuner to pull in radio (old school).  

The solid aluminum face plate, the push button switches and smooth dials provide effective and pleasant manual controls for bass, midrange, treble, loudness, balance and numerous audio filters.  It has headphone jacks and recording monitors.  The blue lighting, classic dials, and meters give it a warm and a classic look of mid century Americana.  It is a statement piece   I will be having a replica Marantz American Walnut wood case built for it next.  

You would have to spend many, many thousands of dollars to get something of this sound quality today.   This rivals my best custom/modern equipment.  

The Sabres are kicking Azz.  So great night for Punch, and Mrs Punch too. I just can’t concentrate on hockey with this baby coming off of the work bench.  

4DDE5DA5-2677-4E68-97DF-DF9D08A0661C.thumb.jpeg.f8133af2ea6630f211ac4ba0f6a2d55f.jpeg

A9F09D8C-5A36-44C7-81A0-85568E603249.thumb.jpeg.a38acfa921019465493526d64a978604.jpeg

Lets finish this game !  

JVC SR-600 Mark II is the basement receiver.  Has a Marantz style tuner wheel.  Need to get that fixed as the mounting post base broke.  Other than that it's in great condition.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Fun fact. When this song was released, many thought wrongly it was about the Vietnam war. And to this day, it’s still thought of as a song about the war. But I’m sure you knew that already 👍🏼

Really like that tune …

Perception is reality, though, right?

Especially w/ something as personal as music. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, freester said:

What current AV receiver does an audiophile like yourself own?

I have a Denon AVR that I bought in 2007. I put my money and time into the audio part of it with more passion than video and movies, although I have an 86 inch TV with 5.1 surround in our Great Room. I like restoring certain older equipment and I like the high end custom equipment of today, it is amazing - albeit for a small market. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

I have a Denon AVR that I bought in 2007. I put my money and time into the audio part of it with more passion than video and movies, although I have an 86 inch TV with 5.1 surround in out Great Room. I like restoring certain older equipment and I like the high end custom equipment of today, it is amazing albeit for a small market. 

When our Onkyo of about the same vintage as your Denon started having issues went with a Denon last year and have been VERY pleased w/ it.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Fun fact. When this song was released, many thought wrongly it was about the Vietnam war. And to this day, it’s still thought of as a song about the war. But I’m sure you knew that already 👍🏼

Really like that tune …

I know it was specifically written about rioting over the Sunset Strip curfew, but realistically I think there was a lot of overlap in the counterculture conflicts.  They were driven by civil rights, the Vietnam War, and basically just pushback against the establishment.

Frankly we need some of that today.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Well that was a pretty good game. maybe their best game this year.

It was clearly a trap game for Nashville. I saw part of their previous game against Colorado and they were much better in that but we played pretty good basic simple positionally sound hockey for a change. Nice to see. 

Only thing I didn't like was Dahlin and Joker trying to kill the penalty. Those two get dominated by physical teams in the net front area and they got an easy greasy goal as a result. Still say we need some defensive D men to go with these guys. 

But hey, nothing to really complain about. A pleasant surprise and an enjoyable evening for a change.

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Why bother putting in olofsson or hinestroza? Just put in Murray and Hayden and bring in lucic or someone similar to hit stuff. That will show em

What we do need to do is sign free agents like Tanner Jeannot. We could use a guy or two like that, then you can take Hayden out. 

Thought Hayden played pretty good tonight by the way. 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Hayden's played his role pretty well all season.  The problem is when you take the best guys off the top (Okie, Tuch, Thompson), Hayden gets exposed too much.

I agree. Hayden's a 4th line role player and we need those. We need a few more. Wish we'd never thrown Lazar away. I'd rather he was on this roster than Bjork. Fourth line in Boston is solid with him on it. 

I firmly believe we don't have enough muscle on the roster to protect our young players and unlike Adams I would have added some this year like when Zach McEwen was waived and picked up by Philly for example. Keep opposition teams honest while the kids develop properly. 

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well that was a pretty good game. maybe their best game this year.

It was clearly a trap game for Nashville. I saw part of their previous game against Colorado and they were much better in that but we played pretty good basic simple positionally sound hockey for a change. Nice to see. 

Only thing I didn't like was Dahlin and Joker trying to kill the penalty. Those two get dominated by physical teams in the net front area and they got an easy greasy goal as a result. Still say we need some defensive D men to go with these guys. 

But hey, nothing to really complain about. A pleasant surprise and an enjoyable evening for a change.

Question. 

Do ppl understand you can't just beat guys in front of the net like you used too? Also idk how Dahlin is supposed to react better to this need...

Guy plays a great game still gets ***** on because... checks notes... he didn't blow up a dude that one time

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Joker is still a kid, but when does get some muscle on him he could become a great mid-pairing guy for years -- or a really solid assistant to a #1.

Right now, though... yup, a work in progress. He can get in the right position with smarts and skating, but isn't strong enough to stay there.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Question. 

Do ppl understand you can't just beat guys in front of the net like you used too? Also idk how Dahlin is supposed to react better to this need...

Guy plays a great game still gets ***** on because... checks notes... he didn't blow up a dude that one time

Honestly, I'm more down on Joker for his weak push there than Dahlin, who is trying guard the side of the net from the winger coming across and potential rebound. Either way, that's a bang-bang play by a skilled center who's having a resurgent season.

You can't just wail on people. But Cozens was being taken down at every opportunity in the 3rd with no call, and if the Sabres were to do the same consistently they wouldn't get called for it either. It'd become accepted and expected.

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Honestly, I'm more down on Joker for his weak push there than Dahlin, who is trying guard the side of the net from the winger coming across and potential rebound. Either way, that's a bang-bang play by a skilled center who's having a resurgent season.

You can't just wail on people. But Cozens was being taken down at every opportunity in the 3rd with no call, and if the Sabres were to do the same consistently they wouldn't get called for it either. It'd become accepted and expected.

Ya, I was referring to the pairing of the two of them as well but LGR4GM always takes it to the silly extreme and thinks any time you talk about controlling or clearing the front of the net you're advocating 80s hockey and talking Larry Playfair or something. 

The simple recent comparison is Boston-Tampa vs. Buffalo-Tampa. Against us they owned the slot and the front are in general and scored at will. Boston, on the other hand controlled the front of the net and shut them down. They have smooth skaters like Grezlyck and Reilly, but they also added Forbert to Carlo (and McAvoy is big and strong too) as they see the need. 

Joker and Dahlin is not a good pairing imo and it's a terrible PK one. 

• Like (+1) 1

What the Hell happened... everyone expecting the Sabres to get shelled and they finally showed up... Watched the first period till I had to take my nap before work... gonna need to watch replay of the rest of the game... Helps that Butcher wasn't in.... thought Sabres played well and passing was much better.  Less look out passes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.