GDT: Sharks at Sabres 7PM Jan 6, 2022

Brawndo

35 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Meh, that was going around several years ago (probably 10). I adapted pretty quickly somehow, and I don't even think about it. Interesting that it's coming back around as "new" and "cancel". Who knows, this may be the article I read back then, not sure:

https://slate.com/technology/2011/01/two-spaces-after-a-period-why-you-should-never-ever-do-it.html

TL;DR: it was a product of monospace font typewriters in, mostly in the 1950-1980 period before computers came along. Before and after, typographers (people who lay out printed stuff) used proportional fonts (like nearly all computer fonts are now) and it wasn't needed. The various style guides agree on one space, so that's good enough for me.

Aren’t you like 35 or something?  Years of nuns smacking the back of my hands with rulers when I didn’t double space after a period can’t just be undone by internet yahoos calling me gramps.  Ok so none of that happened but I still can’t stop the double space. It’s muscle memory from 20+ years of typing. I’ll do my best. 

• Haha (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Aren’t you like 35 or something?  Years of nuns smacking the back of my hands with rulers when I didn’t double space after a period can’t just be undone by internet yahoos calling me gramps.  Ok so none of that happened but I still can’t stop the double space. It’s muscle memory from 20+ years of typing. I’ll do my best. 

I came through at the tail end when the nuns began to slow their roll but it still happened and I have no doubt I watched my step as a youngin' because of it.

Two spaces after a period were still required when I taught MBA classes in 2009. Texting and twitter (along with higher def lettering) basically eliminated the “need” for the additional space and in 2020 Microsoft Word updated their grammar checker to mark it as an error, which IMO was the official deathblow.  

Edit: go Sabres!

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

56 minutes ago, inkman said:

+10 on that, I'm a young (or emotionally stunted) 45.

15 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Two spaces after a period were still required when I taught MBA classes in 2009. Texting and twitter (along with higher def lettering) basically eliminated the “need” for the additional space and in 2020 Microsoft Word updated their grammar checker to mark it as an error, which IMO was the official deathblow.  

Edit: go Sabres!

Microsoft Word did what a string of English teachers couldn't: taught me how to use a semi-colon. 🙂 If you want to go down the rabbit-hole, there's an article linked from my previous about "Logical Punctuation". I tend to use it (contrary to American style) based on doing IT/code/etc. work since I was little, good to know it's a legitimate controversy rather than me just being a jerk.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2011/05/logical-punctuation-should-we-start-placing-commas-outside-quotation-marks.html

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Who??

His father is the Hockey Hall of Fame defenseman Al MacInnis.  Signed him as free agent in July.  The new jewel of our center core.  Formerly of AZ and Columbus organizations.  At age 25 he has 26 games of NHL experience.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, inkman said:

I saw a tweet about people needing to stop the double space after a period. The title of this thread is the extreme opposite. 

I like the double space after a period and will continue to use it.  It makes it easier to read, when a sentence end, that is usually the end of a thought, so I want that 'extra space' in there.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

And that's why he's playing, yup!

I wouldn't go that far. But I'd bet my remaining nut that at one point in hockey talk with his front office, Terry said something along the lines of, "MacInnis. Wait just a cotton-pickin' second. I've heard that name somewhere. And where's Kevbo with my calzone! Terry's gotta get his calzone! Woo woo woo, I can smell it!"

• Haha (+1) 1

• spndnchz changed the title to GDT: Sharks at Sabres 7PM Jan 6, 2022
19 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Anybody up for a good hyphen-en dash-em dash discussion? Or should that be hyphen–en dash–em dash.

Whatever the case — I expect a 4–3 win tonight.

Y'all seen what I did there!

I hate the longer one.  There's no reason for it.  And yet Office corrects for that based on some rule I don't understand.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Is that the same Nor'Easter that we are getting, or lake effect?

Doesn't seem likely to be our Nor'Easter.  Thanks, Baastan!!  Thanks a whole hell of a lot.

I double space after all punctuation at the end of a sentence.  Single when in sentence.  It's like a golden rule, man!!

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

His father is the Hockey Hall of Fame defenseman Al MacInnis.  Signed him as free agent in July.  The new jewel of our center core.  Formerly of AZ and Columbus organizations.  At age 25 he has 26 games of NHL experience.

The pride of Inverness, Nova Scotia.

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

22 year old goalie prospect that we drafted in the 2nd round. 

Not that who.  The other who.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Doesn't seem likely to be our Nor'Easter.  Thanks, Baastan!!  Thanks a whole hell of a lot.

I double space after all punctuation at the end of a sentence.  Single when in sentence.  It's like a golden rule, man!!

It's purely lake effect.  It's how we roll.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

It's lake effect.  This is an interesting tweet:

(Grand Island is only a few miles from downtown Buffalo.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.