The Goal Call should not have been reversed per NHL

Brawndo

5 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I blame the guys in Toronto but Im not going to call for their heads or jobs.  Some people screw up in their job and it costs lives or serious injury.  These guys prevented a game from going to overtime.  

These guys prevented the inevitable from happening a few minutes later.

• Like (+1) 2

I think what should happen is that the next time the Rags come to Buffalo they play a doubleheader of sorts. The first game starts 2-2 at 59 seconds or whatever and plays until the game is over, then start the next game from opening puck drop. 

That is about as fair as it will get and I don't see it being that much of a problem (except for gamblers) 

• Like (+1) 3

One of the advantages of being a team that has a losing record is that bad rulings against you don't have serious playoff implications when the games are finally tallied. What would have been difficult to tolerate is missing out on the playoffs by a point or two because of a bad call that affected a game. That's not the situation that this team is in. 

The more important takeaways in that game beyond as it was in the Washington game is that UPL played well and the team competed well against a more talented roster. Although it might not be satisfying it is encouraging. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, Nitro60 said:

The NHL is pitiful.  Going back to the Dallas NO Goal.  They screw up and issue a statement.  Never changes. 

Which is why I expect the absolute worst decisions possible.  They can’t get out of their own way. This league can’t affect me anymore.  I expect the worst.  I get it.  Can’t hurt me.   

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I think what should happen is that the next time the Rags come to Buffalo they play a doubleheader of sorts. The first game starts 2-2 at 59 seconds or whatever and plays until the game is over, then start the next game from opening puck drop. 

That is about as fair as it will get and I don't see it being that much of a problem (except for gamblers) 

Sports is never fair.  You, of all people, as a Buffalo sports fan, should recognize the truth of this.

12 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Sports is never fair.  You, of all people, as a Buffalo sports fan, should recognize the truth of this.

I am aware, it's lopsided and favors bigger markets. But this is a proposed solution to an admitted screw up. I don't see why it couldn't be accomplished. 

• Like (+1) 2

For this take to have more weight, I'd have to go back and see how long the Milano and offside reviews took. It's my impression that the Milano review was quite quick, and although the offside review took longer, it took considerably less time than the original review — whether a puck that clearly landed in the top of the net should result in a good goal.

The take — reviews that could cost the lowly Buffalo Sabres a point or two were not given the time they deserved; they were given considerably less time than a review that could cost a good team (read: a team having a good season; I don't buy MFT nonsense) a game or a review that could cost a team a Cup.

IMHO that's the heart of the bias problem. The same review in all three scenarios should take the same time.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2

Upon further review, it's hard to tell how long the respective reviews took. The goal review was a little under a minute, but was probably longer because the ref was talking to the situation room about the offside. Cameras didn't catch when the linesmen put on their headsets, so you can't time it. It was still a quick review.

Speaking of the linesmen... what role do they play? They're looking at a smallish tablet. But we were told Toronto made the call?

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

For this take to have more weight, I'd have to go back and see how long the Milano and offside reviews took. It's my impression that the Milano review was quite quick, and although the offside review took longer, it took considerably less time than the original review — whether a puck that clearly landed in the top of the net should result in a good goal.

The take — reviews that could cost the lowly Buffalo Sabres a point or two were not given the time they deserved; they were given considerably less time than a review that could cost a good team (read: a team having a good season; I don't buy MFT nonsense) a game or a review that could cost a team a Cup.

IMHO that's the heart of the bias problem. The same review in all three scenarios should take the same time.

This is actually a good take.

Would take it 1 step further.  The video review guys in TO (& in each rink) should have a checklist/ matrix that they fill out completely any time there is an off-sides review.  (For @SDS, while an individual player is off-side or on-side, the rule is titled off-sides.)

The official should note who possessed the puck immediately prior to the puck crossing the blue line & whether there was control or not.  Also where all 12 players on the ice are located (in zone or out of zone).

This same info should be determined immediately after the puck has crossed the blue line.

IF a player has preceded the puck into the zone, there would be 2 more items to determine.

Where are all players & the puck at the instant control is effected.

Where are all players & the puck at the instant the player (or players) that were over the blue line has (or have) tagged up & is the puck under control or not immediately prior to the tagging up.

After the game, both teams will receive a copy of the completed checklists.

Take as much discretion/arbitrariness as possible out of the reviews.

And, yes, the Sabres owners & GM should make this request of the league either privately or publicly.

They could have similar checklists of info to obtain prior to making a determination for puck hit with a high stick, goaltender interference, & the like.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:47 PM, Taro T said:

Those 2 & the Bondra goal ALL resulted in the NHL changing their rules & procedures because the results were so egregious.

Doubt this one rises to that level.  But it IS 2 games in a row where replay didn't get the call right in what at the time had been 1 goal games.  

The first was the Milano goal? Those always count. 

As for the latest one, it cost us a single point, judging by our OT/SO aptitude. 

Hard meh

On 12/11/2021 at 1:53 PM, DarthEbriate said:

But we don't have that point. So... it was good. Or will we finish 2nd lowest by 1 point, and then the team that finishes 3rd lowest wins the lottery?

We are into the realm of butterfly effect. Don’t worry about it 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Would take it 1 step further.  The video review guys in TO (& in each rink) should have a checklist/ matrix that they fill out completely any time there is an off-sides review.  (For @SDS, while an individual player is off-side or on-side, the rule is titled off-sides.)

The official should note who possessed the puck immediately prior to the puck crossing the blue line & whether there was control or not.  Also where all 12 players on the ice are located (in zone or out of zone).

This same info should be determined immediately after the puck has crossed the blue line.

IF a player has preceded the puck into the zone, there would be 2 more items to determine.

Where are all players & the puck at the instant the player (or players) that were over the blue line has (or have) tagged up & is the puck under control or not immediately prior to the tagging up.

And, yes, the Sabres owners & GM should make this request of the league either privately or publicly.

They could have similar checklists of info to obtain prior to making a determination for puck hit with a high stick, goaltender interference, & the like.

Nope. 

67EEB4A0-2C31-4B97-83D0-20ADB7B3F50E.png

Regardless, a player is offside. If you want to talk about multiple offside penalties, then I’m sure there’s a plural form of it that is correct. However, Americans butcher the every day use of this.

And when I become president, my first public act will be to ban the use of the word offsides to describe every day game action. Penalties to be determined. It ranks up there with “I seen“.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

I think goaltender interference is the least objective of all of these calls and I would propose that they basically go back to the old rule that *any* contact with a goalie, of whom any part of his body is in the crease, should be construed as interference.  Very cut-and-dry, no judgment.  The problem is that such a ruling would cut back on number of goals and of course the league doesn't want that.

But even if they don't change the rule or the interpretation thereof, they should have clear go-no go statements of criteria for determining goaltender interference, and the checklist would state which conditions need to be met in which order of precedence.  (For instance, if the goalie is in the crease, you can't touch him; if he is out of the crease you can, etc.)

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I'll need to know where to mail the fruit and cheese platter, wine, fine chocolates, alpaca socks and live lobsters.

I'll PM you my address ...

EDIT TO ADD:  I can get the labsters (in my best WNY accent) from my neighbour who is a lobster fisherman.

Edited by The Ghost of Doohickie
GOODLY !!

The solution is simple.   Have a group of senior officials review the decisions of the review crew in Toronto and a final executive committee to review the reviews of the senior officials reviewing the reviews of the crew in Toronto reviewing the games in real-time.

On ice refs --> Toronto --> Senior officials --> Executive Committee

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.