Friedman:Sabres are looking for Goaltending Help

Brawndo

In the NFL the top 12 highest paid players are all quarterbacks. In the NHL the highest paid goalie is number 10. Like quarterbacks  goalie's can win or lose you more games and affect the play of the other players on his team, especially when letting in soft goals, than any other player on the team IMHO. If this is the case it would seem to me that the goalie should be your best player on the team. Not that he doesn't need good support players obviously you do.                                                                                                                                                                 I remember when Miller was traded a lot of people thought good goalie's were over rated and not worth the extra money because of all the deflections and lucky bounces for goals, that any goalie would do just as well.                                                                                                   I think we can see the value of of great goaltending. I would be willing to pay whatever it takes to get the best goalie possible. We've had at least two years or more to fix this position. As a poster noted somewhere on here earlier the cost to ownership for all the empty seats is way more than the cost of a top tier goalie. Not to mention the mental state of the team and the fact that we would be in the playoff hunt and everyone here would be looking forward to every game and enjoying it. It is just so aggravating to me that someone like myself who has no hockey experience other than the love of the game can see how easily things could be different.

Edited by sabresouth
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

My worry is that the psychology of losing is going to demoralize our young players. In the Carolina game (I intermittently watched) it seemed as if Dahlin was a beaten man. That bothers me very much. 

Being demoralized is a choice. If our young players are so delicate and fragile that they choose to be demoralized rather than determined to keep their noses to the grindstone and keep working to turn it around, then perhaps we don’t have the right type of players. Success starts with overcoming adversity and growing from it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Being demoralized is a choice. If our young players are so delicate and fragile that they choose to be demoralized rather than determined to keep their noses to the grindstone and keep working to turn it around, then perhaps we don’t have the right type of players. Success starts with overcoming adversity and growing from it. 

The young players such as Dahlin, Mitts, Tage etc have been exposed to losing for their whole careers. This isn't a one year hurdle that they need to work through. Success certainly entails working through adversity. No question about that. But having the right support system also is a factor in the development of players. In the workplace or even in a school setting the more positive environment there is the greater chance there will be for growth. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

The young players such as Dahlin, Mitts, Tage etc have been exposed to losing for their whole careers. This isn't a one year hurdle that they need to work through. Success certainly entails working through adversity. No question about that. But having the right support system also is a factor in the development of players. In the workplace or even in a school setting the more positive environment there is the greater chance there will be for growth. 

I agree that “positive” environments are a good thing. But morale is still a personal choice, regardless. Attitude is always in your own control. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It doesn't work that way.  Constant failure is a huge demotivator that even the best motivated can be overcome by.  See ROR.  Even top motivated people need goals that are actually attainable to keep motivated.

Goaltending is going to set the development of our kids back.  Hopefully not permanently.

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I agree that “positive” environments are a good thing. But morale is still a personal choice, regardless. Attitude is always in your own control. 

Except its not anywhere near that simple.  Tell a bullied kid that morale is their choice. 

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, K-9 said:

I understand the point you are making about the individual aspect of morale and attitude. But in the work world in all fields of endeavor you can put an individual in a dysfunctional organization and get a certain level of production. If you move that person (especially a young employee) into a more positive and nurturing environment you will get more production and a faster rate of actualizing one's potential. 

I'm not disagreeing with your general point. I just feel that this new young core has only been exposed to team failure in their professional careers. I believe that it does have a negative effect on a player's development.

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

It doesn't work that way.  Constant failure is a huge demotivator that even the best motivated can be overcome by.  See ROR.  Even top motivated people need goals that are actually attainable to keep motivated.

Goaltending is going to set the development of our kids back.  Hopefully not permanently.

Except its not anywhere near that simple.  Tell a bullied kid that morale is their choice. 

Quite the leap to compare a psychologically damaged kid who was bullied to the point I’m making about highly paid and pampered professional athletes needing to overcome adversity with a positive attitude in the face of it. Just an absurd comparison. 

Yes, constant failure is bummer and nobody is suggesting it’s easy to overcome for teams, but what is the alternative? To give in to the negativity and fold? Or find the requisite grit to keep working at making it better? Sorry, but I don’t believe in providing built in excuses for players to fail. 

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I understand the point you are making about the individual aspect of morale and attitude. But in the work world in all fields of endeavor you can put an individual in a dysfunctional organization and get a certain level of production. If you move that person (especially a young employee) into a more positive and nurturing environment you will get more production and a faster rate of actualizing one's potential. 

I'm not disagreeing with your general point. I just feel that this new young core has only been exposed to team failure in their professional careers. I believe that it does have a negative effect on a player's development.

Are people responsible for their own roles in creating positive work environments? 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Are people responsible for their own roles in creating positive work environments? 

Have you ever been a student in a classroom where the teacher has lost control of a class with the kids running amok? You can then replace that teacher and with the same group of students dramatically alter the situation where the students thrive as a group and individually. 

There are coaches who can take a group of athletes and the end result is team failure. And it is not unusual where a coaching change  can result in the team thriving with the same players. 

35 minutes ago, Weave said:

I just wanted to emphasise this.  Being the one everyone craps on takes its toll.  I was bullied incessantly as a child and it still affects me 50 years later.

I need to ask if the team's loss of positional discipline is more than merely correlated with Anderson going down.

• Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Quite the leap to compare a psychologically damaged kid who was bullied to the point I’m making about highly paid and pampered professional athletes needing to overcome adversity with a positive attitude in the face of it. Just an absurd comparison. 

Yes, constant failure is bummer and nobody is suggesting it’s easy to overcome for teams, but what is the alternative? To give in to the negativity and fold? Or find the requisite grit to keep working at making it better? Sorry, but I don’t believe in providing built in excuses for players to fail. 

The point is noone is damaged until they reach a point where they sense they can no longer overcome the obstacle in front of them.  It is a pollyanna concept that you just maintain a positive attitude and you will overcome it.  It just doesn't work that way.  Without an attainable goal, withering attitude is inevitable.  Noone chooses to give in and fold.  It is a natural result of an unattainable goal.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, K-9 said:

To the bolded, at this point for the players, there are no acceptable/productive alternatives.

Adams could continue the search for an acceptable goalie & ideally actually find the price acceptable & pull the trigger.  It would be like a drowning man being able to grasp onto the life preserver thrown to him for these kids.

There is absolutely nothing any of us or even Adams can do to change the fact he lowballed Ullmark & then only brought in a retirement contemplating 40 yo Anderson & a his best days are past him Dell as the plan B.  We're just shouting at the sky right now.  But, at least it's something.  😉

Watching Dahlin quit on the SH breakaway & then just look at the rafters as the rebound got passed to the trailer that was ahead of Mittelstadt was gut wrenching.  He's really friggin' close to breaking, if he hasn't already.  Don't believe that's a permanent condition, but how much "developing" is he going to undergo with that mindset.

Adams chose 2 mutually exclusive goals this year - lose while letting the kids "develop."  He was walking that tightrope while Anderson was healthy.  Without Anderson & now without Tokarski, he's nowhere near the rope and neither Subban nor Dell are going to be the net he needs.  (Positive Dell can't be.  90% sure Subban won't be able to be that either.)  IMHO, he needed to put more emphasis on the development goal & have preferably a better plan B or at a minimum a realistic plan C.  Considering he lowballed Ullmark, not sure there was even a plan A.

Agree that players shouldn't be given built in excuses to fail.  Really wish Adams hadn't set them up w/ a massive one this off-season.  Anderson hasn't played since the 1st game in November.  The team didn't crash hard until the Calgary game.  (Yes, they were losing before that, but they were in all the games until then.  Since, not so much.)  So, IMHO, they didn't just accept the losing & quit.  But, as others have said, you can just take so much of an untenable situation before losing hope.

Adams misjudged how untenable a situation he'd created by not addressing the goaltending.  There's a lot of stuff to like about what he's done.   But this is a MAJOR failure 2 years running to date.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Have you ever been a student in a classroom where the teacher has lost control of a class with the kids running amok? You can then replace that teacher and with the same group of students dramatically alter the situation where the students thrive as a group and individually. 

There are coaches who can take a group of athletes and the end result is team failure. And it is not unusual where a coaching change  can result in the team thriving with the same players. 

More comparisons to kids? In classrooms? Is that what these million dollar athletes who’ve played a game all their lives are? Kids in classrooms? 

Are we partly responsible for helping to create the environments we are in or not? When do our own attitudes, decisions, and behaviors contribute or not? Only when everything is perfect? Feel free to have the last word, but I’m done kicking this dead horse.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

To the bolded, at this point for the players, there are no acceptable/productive alternatives.

Adams could continue the search for an acceptable goalie & ideally actually find the price acceptable & pull the trigger.  It would be like a drowning man being able to grasp onto the life preserver thrown to him for these kids.

There is absolutely nothing any of us or even Adams can do to change the fact he lowballed Ullmark & then only brought in a retirement contemplating 40 yo Anderson & a his best days are past him Dell as the plan B.  We're just shouting at the sky right now.  But, at least it's something.  😉

Watching Dahlin quit on the SH breakaway & then just look at the rafters as the rebound got passed to the trailer that was ahead of Mittelstadt was gut wrenching.  He's really friggin' close to breaking, if he hasn't already.  Don't believe that's a permanent condition, but how much "developing" is he going to undergo with that mindset.

Adams chose 2 mutually exclusive goals this year - lose while letting the kids "develop."  He was walking that tightrope while Anderson was healthy.  Without Anderson & now without Tokarski, he's nowhere near the rope and neither Subban nor Dell are going to be the net he needs.  (Positive Dell can't be.  90% sure Subban won't be able to be that either.)  IMHO, he needed to put more emphasis on the development goal & have preferably a better plan B or at a minimum a realistic plan C.  Considering he lowballed Ullmark, not sure there was even a plan A.

Agree that players shouldn't be given built in excuses to fail.  Really wish Adams hadn't set them up w/ a massive one this off-season.  Anderson hasn't played since the 1st game in November.  The team didn't crash hard until the Calgary game.  (Yes, they were losing before that, but they were in all the games until then.  Since, not so much.)  So, IMHO, they didn't just accept the losing & quit.  But, as others have said, you can just take so much of an untenable situation before losing hope.

Adams misjudged how untenable a situation he'd created by not addressing the goaltending.  There's a lot of stuff to like about what he's done.   But this is a MAJOR failure 2 years running to date.

Here’s a thought: what if Adams, the coaches, and all those fragile delicate China dolls of players fully understand MORE THAN WE DO that incompetent goaltending is the number one issue, they accept that in the interim until it can be fixed, but they are committed to concentrating and working on improving their own games in the mean time?

They are evaluated on a daily basis and are routinely challenged to improve their own games. Remember a few short weeks ago when everyone here was convinced Cozens was being demoralized and his confidence ruined and he just HAD to be sent down to Rochester? His improvement since Granato challenged him before the Oilers game suggests he isn’t the delicate waif of crumbling confidence we thought he’d turn into. Instead, he adopted a positive attitude, accepted the challenge, and is better for it. 

I doubt Cozens is the only player like that on this team, either. Mitts and Thompson are two other examples as well. I’m willing to give these guys a collective chance before proclaiming they will forever be scarred psychologically by losing. Maybe, just maybe, they have the mental fortitude to keep working in the face of adversity and are committed to being part of the solution long term. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Here’s a thought: what if Adams, the coaches, and all those fragile delicate China dolls of players fully understand MORE THAN WE DO that incompetent goaltending is the number one issue, they accept that in the interim until it can be fixed, but they are committed to concentrating and working on improving their own games in the mean time?

They are evaluated on a daily basis and are routinely challenged to improve their own games. Remember a few short weeks ago when everyone here was convinced Cozens was being demoralized and his confidence ruined and he just HAD to be sent down to Rochester? His improvement since Granato challenged him before the Oilers game suggests he isn’t the delicate waif of crumbling confidence we thought he’d turn into. Instead, he adopted a positive attitude, accepted the challenge, and is better for it. 

I doubt Cozens is the only player like that on this team, either. Mitts and Thompson are two other examples as well. I’m willing to give these guys a collective chance before proclaiming they will forever be scarred psychologically by losing. Maybe, just maybe, they have the mental fortitude to keep working in the face of adversity and are committed to being part of the solution long term. 

In a vacuum, it's a great thought.  Problem is, though they're trying to battle through it, & they truly are trying to do that, their defensive play has gone to absolute garbage.  Realize that Granato isn't focusing on defensive play because offense is harder to teach/ work on, but it can't be completely ignored IMHO.  And as long as they get the goaltending they've been getting they will develop bad habits & continue to reinforce them unless they take the focus off the offensive game.  Either or both of which work against the stated goal of "development."

Had Dahlin not quit on a single play or had the last game been watchable, probably wouldn't be venting so much (if at all), but both happened in the 1st game after Granato Adams "addressed" the goaltending that he still hasn't addressed since getting hired.  Maybe the smart players realize it's going to be a seriously uphill slog & they're a little exhausted from 5 in 7 days (& 6 in 9) & because of that are letting us see just how bad this can get over the next 2 months of a still compressed schedule.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

this team is bad.  The Goalies are making it much, much worse than it has to be.  Anyone looking at the numbers recognizes this.  I’m sure Adams, everyone in the hockey department, and TPegs if they can wake him up, will admit to understanding this as well.

Yes, there are other problems.  But the main problem on this team right now, above and beyond and almost excluding all others, is goaltending.  Full stop.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Still don’t believe Adams refused to offer Ullmark a fair contract. Presently he is overpaid by the Bruins. I don’t accept Vogl’s  claims over the multiple differing reports of 3x5mil which was a very fair offer. He was a solid goalie whom was injured at least twice a year. Paying a guy 5 to 6 mil per year to play about 25 to 30 games is honestly bonkers. 

In my opinion our goaltending situation would be about the same with Ullmark still here when you add his typical injuries. We would have a better ceiling goaltending level but if he played 12 games before getting hurt; we still be in the crisis we are in now since Anderson isn’t coming out of nigh-retirement to backup. Thus we’d still be left with Tokarski, Dell and UPL. (I doubt we would of acquired Subban if Ullmark were still here.) Our record would be a tad better but we’d also be paying our goalie 5+ mil for about 30 to 40 games max.

I don’t disagree we need a goalie desperately but who’s to say many goalies were even interested in coming to Buffalo. The longer this goes the less likely we will be capable of acquiring a competent goalie for a reasonable rate. And I’m not interested in trading a 2nd for a rental goalie.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Still don’t believe Adams refused to offer Ullmark a fair contract. Presently he is overpaid by the Bruins. I don’t accept Vogl’s  claims over the multiple differing reports of 3x5mil which was a very fair offer. He was a solid goalie whom was injured at least twice a year. Paying a guy 5 to 6 mil per year to play about 25 to 30 games is honestly bonkers. 

In my opinion our goaltending situation would be about the same with Ullmark still here when you add his typical injuries. We would have a better ceiling goaltending level but if he played 12 games before getting hurt; we still be in the crisis we are in now since Anderson isn’t coming out of nigh-retirement to backup. Thus we’d still be left with Tokarski, Dell and UPL. (I doubt we would of acquired Subban if Ullmark were still here.) Our record would be a tad better but we’d also be paying our goalie 5+ mil for about 30 to 40 games max.

I don’t disagree we need a goalie desperately but who’s to say many goalies were even interested in coming to Buffalo. The longer this goes the less likely we will be capable of acquiring a competent goalie for a reasonable rate. And I’m not interested in trading a 2nd for a rental goalie.

Maybe Anderson wouldn't have been interested in coming to Buffalo, but my guess is that they could've gotten him in town even w/ Ullmark.  (We'll never know who was right on that coun't, so am willing to agree to disagree on it.)

But that makes Dell the guy that isn't brought in & Tokarski is the #3  at best & likely penciled in as the 4.  A tandem of Ullmark Anderson would be serviceable & unless all heck broke out, Tokarski would never be playing more than 2 of every 5, which he's shown is a manageable workload for him.

And if all 3 went out & they were down to bringing in Subban due to injuries (or maybe even Dell at that point), there is a different vibe w/in the team & they likely do suck it up & find another gear for a game or 2 to get that guy through to having one of the others back.

My 2 cents.  Totally speculative, but seems reasonable to this kid.  YMMV.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

In a vacuum, it's a great thought.  Problem is, though they're trying to battle through it, & they truly are trying to do that, their defensive play has gone to absolute garbage.  Realize that Granato isn't focusing on defensive play because offense is harder to teach/ work on, but it can't be completely ignored IMHO.  And as long as they get the goaltending they've been getting they will develop bad habits & continue to reinforce them unless they take the focus off the offensive game.  Either or both of which work against the stated goal of "development."

Had Dahlin not quit on a single play or had the last game been watchable, probably wouldn't be venting so much (if at all), but both happened in the 1st game after Granato "addressed" the goaltending that he still hasn't addressed since getting hired.  Maybe the smart players realize it's going to be a seriously uphill slog & they're a little exhausted from 5 in 7 days (& 6 in 9) & because of that are letting us see just how bad this can get over the next 2 months of a still compressed schedule.

I don’t disagree with any of that, but the discussion is veering away from my general point which is I don’t believe any of their current problems with goaltending and poor defense will cause our young players to suffer permanently scarred psyches as a result. Indeed, I think it may serve to galvanize them moving forward.

Negative results don’t always translate to demoralization and giving up. Sometimes the adversity serves to strengthen character and a resolve to turn it around and becoming part of the solution. Projection isn’t a one sided proposition.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

5 hours ago, K-9 said:

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I don’t disagree with any of that, but the discussion is veering away from my general point which is I don’t believe any of their current problems with goaltending and poor defense will cause our young players to suffer permanently scarred psyches as a result. Indeed, I think it may serve to galvanize them moving forward.

Negative results don’t always translate to demoralization and giving up. Sometimes the adversity serves to strengthen character and a resolve to turn it around and becoming part of the solution. Projection isn’t a one sided proposition.

This is an outstanding series of posts.

I will take it a step further and suggest that this season is intentionally a crucible designed to forge and test the type of character you speak about. I believe the coaching staff has made sure from day one the players are fully aware of this and watching to see who cracks and who perseveres.

I agree with those who say Adams is walking a dangerous road, but it’s a road that his chosen role models (Z and KO) have passed through and continue to walk. And I believe that if and when reinforcements arrive it is one that will serve the survivors well.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

How long is this alleged crucible going to last?  Through next year, another 5 years, another decade?  

Please excuse me, but what a bunch of BS.  We have lived in this crucible for a decade already and all it did was alienate the first generation of the rebuild, the fans, free agents and we already going down the same rat hole.  

These athletes want to grow and learn sure, but they also want a chance to win every night.  They have already proven they deserve that opportunity.  Sadly the GM and ownership aren’t interested in providing that opportunity.

I keep hearing the excuse that no quality goaltender wanted to come here.  What is changing to make one change his mind?  The franchise’s commitment to winning doesn’t exist.  Not exactly a smart method toward building a winning culture or a great example for the kids.  

Plans are great, but sometimes you have to adjust the plan when circumstances change.  The development of the forward group demands a change in the plan and end the no so secret tank.  Time to get real goaltending and support this team.  It will start to rebuild goodwill in the fanbase and show the team that management is committed to winning.  Remember a truly competitive team is usually built from the out. 

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How long is this alleged crucible going to last?  Through next year, another 5 years, another decade?  

Please excuse me, but what a bunch of BS.  We have lived in this crucible for a decade already and all it did was alienate the first generation of the rebuild, the fans, free agents and we already going down the same rat hole.  

These athletes want to grow and learn sure, but they also want a chance to win every night.  They have already proven they deserve that opportunity.  Sadly the GM and ownership aren’t interested in providing that opportunity.

I keep hearing the excuse that no quality goaltender wanted to come here.  What is changing to make one change his mind?  The franchise’s commitment to winning doesn’t exist.  Not exactly a smart method toward building a winning culture or a great example for the kids.  

Plans are great, but sometimes you have to adjust the plan when circumstances change.  The development of the forward group demands a change in the plan and end the no so secret tank.  Time to get real goaltending and support this team.  It will start to rebuild goodwill in the fanbase and show the team that management is committed to winning.  Remember a truly competitive team is usually built from the out. 

What exactly do you want him to do? Getting a solid goalie is far easier said than done. Should we trade our 1st for Gibson? Railing on something only can be tolerated for so long unless you have a strategy that doesn't mortgage the future. None of us are happy with the results; but no GM, even the greatest GMs, can make players appear out of thin air.

• Thanks (+1) 3

Everybody needs to be patient.   

This team is in a jam because they tried the quick fix route, trading valuable futures for underachieving roster players hoping for a quick turnaround.  

KA's plan (to build from within) is on schedule, the team is actually playing better than expected (goals for) and the prospects are thriving on their respective clubs, so yeah it's frustrating that goaltending remains an issue after all these years.   

They have some goalies in the pipeline that should bear some fruit at some point.. but there's no immediate help on the way.   

This isn't the 90's or early 00's when it was much easier to acquire an NHL level starter.    Expansion has severely thinned out the goalie position so it's now more important than ever to draft and develop your own netminders.      

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.